Why become a member? ×

Playing at your bucket list venues

12 years ago, I got to play Band On The Wall in Manchester. To me, this was about as good as it could realistically get, and it was a great experience. In those days, I was playing guitar. It wasn't about the size of the crowd, I have played to a couple of thousand people before at festivals, it was the venue, and the iconic status it holds.

Since embracing the low end, I think I have become a much better musician, have more understanding of theory and harmony, and more importantly, I am having way more fun playing music than I ever thought possible.

Today, the band leader has asked us about our availability for dates in January to play at Matt & Phreds in Manchester. I cannot tell you how chuffed I am about this. I have seen dozens of bands here. I was there when BB Kings horn section turned up after the show at the Bridgewater, just to drink and jam. Some of my musical heroes have played there. And now I might actually be playing it myself. It's unreal.

Anyway, where are your venues, what have you played, where would you love to play, where would you recommend?

Thanks for listening.

Rob

• Like 5

Ones I’ve played that I wanted to:

100 Club

Hope & Anchor

Dingwalls

The Garage

Underworld

Electric Ballroom

Rock City Nottingham 

Rebellion Festival (Blackpool Winter Gardens)

Ones I’d still like to play (but doubt I’ll get the opportunity:

Hammersmith Apollo

Whisky A Go Go

And I would have loved to play CBGBs, The Marquee & The Astoria but all now gone.

• Like 6

I've played the 100 Club which was a bit of a thrill, and also played at the Crystal Palace Bowl which has hosted many greats, including Bob Marley. My favourite however, was a beautiful little restored theatre in Bridport - Bridport Electric Palace. 

• Like 4

I’ve been fortunate enough to play many of the venues I went to see bands in when

I was just starting out with bands myself. Favourites have included Sheffield City Hall,

Liverpool Empire and Newcastle City Hall, all wonderful places full of band history.

I’ve also done a gig at The Royal Albert Hall ( a corporate do with an orchestra too!)

as well as most of the top hotels in London. Hometown gigs at Manchester Palace

and Opera House along with my adopted hometown gigs at Hull City Hall and New

Theatre were also significant for me, although my most memorable was maybe the

Victoria Hall in Hanley (Stoke). I was telling my dear old dad about it when it came 

up on my gig list, and he said he’d sung on that same stage as a choir boy in the

1920’s. Was hard to concentrate on the gig when we did it, wondering if I was

standing on the same spot as him. 

• Like 4

For gigs/concerts I've sung/played at Bridgewater Hall three times (twice singing (one was for BBC) and once playing), Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool), Symphony Hall (Birmingham), Royal Albert Hall (BBC Proms concert), York Minster, Chester cathedral.

• Like 2

My own thread here, and all your lists, has got me thinking about all the places I've played in the past, and I realise they add up to a pretty good tally of renowned venues.

The most notable ones I can remember:

The New Morning - Paris

Islington Assembly Hall

O2 Academy - Glasgow

The Stables - Milton Keynes

and the aforementioned Band On The Wall

I'm not getting any younger (60 next birthday), and I thought my days of being in a great band and playing great places were behind me. But this chance of a gig at Matt & Phreds has me pinching myself and thinking there might be more yet to come, and I like it.

Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

I'm not getting any younger (60 next birthday), and I thought my days of being in a great band and playing great places were behind me. But this chance of a gig at Matt & Phreds has me pinching myself and thinking there might be more yet to come, and I like it.

Rob

I didn't get to do the 100 Club or Bridport, playing original Blues Rock until I was 55. I'm now 60, and after a short (but still too long) hiatus, I have every intention of doing it again.

Also, forgot I once played the Royal Albert Hall!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I would have loved to play CBGBs, The Marquee & The Astoria

Played all of those, although The Marquee was the second version unfortunately, in Charing Cross Road.

Someone mentioned 1st Avenue, played there too, and the Whisky A Go Go.

Edited by AMV001
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

12 years ago, I got to play Band On The Wall in Manchester. To me, this was about as good as it could realistically get, and it was a great experience. In those days, I was playing guitar. It wasn't about the size of the crowd, I have played to a couple of thousand people before at festivals, it was the venue, and the iconic status it holds.

Since embracing the low end, I think I have become a much better musician, have more understanding of theory and harmony, and more importantly, I am having way more fun playing music than I ever thought possible.

Today, the band leader has asked us about our availability for dates in January to play at Matt & Phreds in Manchester. I cannot tell you how chuffed I am about this. I have seen dozens of bands here. I was there when BB Kings horn section turned up after the show at the Bridgewater, just to drink and jam. Some of my musical heroes have played there. And now I might actually be playing it myself. It's unreal.

Anyway, where are your venues, what have you played, where would you love to play, where would you recommend?

Thanks for listening.

Rob

I should be back living in Manchester by then, what’s your band called?

I played a sold out show at the Barfly in Camden in my early twenties which was really good fun but I gave up on playing long before I got to experience  anywhere decent.

I had previously dreamt of Hyde Park or Pyramid stage at Glastonbury, or royal Albert hall. Typical unachievable bucket list!

• Like 1

It’s not much, but as a youngster starting out in the 90s, playing the now long-gone Princess Charlotte in Leicester seemed like an unattainable dream. I was ultimately lucky enough to play there dozens if not hundreds of times, on bills with big bands and to eventually sell the place out many times with my own band, I even ran the sound there a few times. That’s the only place I can was ever say was somewhere specific I really Wanted to play. 
Beyond that, I’ve been lucky, Hammersmith Apollo was an iconic stage to play on, Manchester Apollo (best dressing room) and Liverpool apollo too. The SECC in Glasgow was fun, (small dressing room) And the symphony hall in Birmingham (biiig dressing room :)

Rock city I always enjoyed playing, on any stage, and the cavern (blew up three bass amps in one night there!- oops.) 

Camden underworld felt similar to the Charlotte for me which I liked, and Bradford Rio’s. Limelight (Crewe?) and what’s the place that was in Dudley, that was ace? - Nice cuppa and curry on arrival there. 
Recently I’ve been pleased to play Cheltenham town hall, ladies college and pump rooms, which are all now local to me venues that playing at makes me feel like a proper local lol. 
But above all, god, what I wouldn't give to spend one more sweaty night dodging feedback on stage at the Princess Charlotte back in my home town. 
Lovely memories. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 4

Not sure if it's there anymore, but in Southampton there was a pub called The Hobbit, which had a mini pyramid stage outside at the back. I always thought that would have been a great place to play. I only ever saw bands play inside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MacDaddy said:

Not sure if it's there anymore, but in Southampton there was a pub called The Hobbit, which had a mini pyramid stage outside at the back. I always thought that would have been a great place to play. I only ever saw bands play inside.

We played there last year, albeit inside (was a cold night!)

• Like 1

I've been lucky enough to have played all the Nottingham venues where I saw the bands that shaped my musical tastes:

Ad-Lib Club/Garage

The Boat Club

Rock City (main stage)

Other than that I don't really have a "bucket list". I'm happy to play anywhere that has a decent sized stage, good foldback and an enthusiastic audience. I think that's because I've been to a lot of the "classic" venues (including CBGBs just before it closed) as a punter and IMO it's the band and the audience that makes the gig, the venue just happens to be the location where those two things come together.

44 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

It’s not much, but as a youngster starting out in the 90s, playing the now long-gone Princess Charlotte in Leicester seemed like an unattainable dream. I was ultimately lucky enough to play there dozens if not hundreds of times, on bills with big bands and to eventually sell the place out many times with my own band, I even ran the sound there a few times. That’s the only place I can was ever say was somewhere specific I really Wanted to play. 
Beyond that, I’ve been lucky, Hammersmith Apollo was an iconic stage to play on, Manchester Apollo (best dressing room) and Liverpool apollo too. The SECC in Glasgow was fun, (small dressing room) And the symphony hall in Birmingham (biiig dressing room :)

Rock city I always enjoyed playing, on any stage, and the cavern (blew up three bass amps in one night there!- oops.) 

Camden underworld felt similar to the Charlotte for me which I liked, and Bradford Rio’s. Limelight (Crewe?) and what’s the place that was in Dudley, that was ace? - Nice cuppa and curry on arrival there. 
Recently I’ve been pleased to play Cheltenham town hall, ladies college and pump rooms, which are all now local to me venues that playing at makes me feel like a proper local lol. 
But above all, god, what I wouldn't give to spend one more sweaty night dodging feedback on stage at the Princess Charlotte back in my home town. 
Lovely memories. 

That reminds me of another, I have played The Cavern Club in Liverpool too!

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

I should be back living in Manchester by then, what’s your band called?

I played a sold out show at the Barfly in Camden in my early twenties which was really good fun but I gave up on playing long before I got to experience  anywhere decent.

I had previously dreamt of Hyde Park or Pyramid stage at Glastonbury, or royal Albert hall. Typical unachievable bucket list!

The band is called The Out And Out Blues Band - https://theoutandouts.com/

I played many of the iconic London dives venues - Marquee (twice, once supporting Carter, once headlining), all of the Mean Fiddler venues (Subterranea, Garage, Mean Fiddler at least twice each), Underworld, The Dome, Electric Ballroom, Dingwalls, Opera on the Green etc but not any of the bigger ones...

Played Edward's No. 8 in Birmingham too, supporting Gaye Bykers.

Biggest venue was probably The Great Hall in Exeter (with Carter) or Guildhall in Gloucester (Gaye Bykers), or more recently, Winter Gardens in Blackpool (Rebellion)

• Like 2

JBs that was the place in Dudley (was it?) JBs. I remember now. We did somewhat ‘tiddly’ post gig England Vs Germany football in there with the Brits against the German road crew while all the Americans looked on confused. - The only time in my life I’ve ever done a football thing. 😆

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

That reminds me of another, I have played The Cavern Club in Liverpool too!

I forgot to add that to my list, would love to play there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I played many of the iconic London dives venues - Marquee (twice, once supporting Carter, once headlining), all of the Mean Fiddler venues (Subterranea, Garage, Mean Fiddler at least twice each), Underworld, The Dome, Electric Ballroom, Dingwalls, Opera on the Green etc but not any of the bigger ones...

Played Edward's No. 8 in Birmingham too, supporting Gaye Bykers.

Biggest venue was probably The Great Hall in Exeter (with Carter) or Guildhall in Gloucester (Gaye Bykers), or more recently, Winter Gardens in Blackpool (Rebellion)

I forgot I’d played the Mean Fiddler - the original one and I was playing guitar for a US country singer ( sorry).

Had a great gig there, they had some rather splendid dancers on and it was a very jolly evening. 

Also forgot to mention The Robin in Bilston, Mr Kyps in Poole and The Flowerpot in Derby - all great live

music grass roots venues. 

• Like 2

Slowly and sadly admitting to myself that my hopes of playing the River Plate stadium need to be quietly forgotten ☺️

eCKn8bi5UbLCQ3dpLMPmcgFkjVR.jpg

Still, Royal Albert and Royal Festival Halls once each was good, ditto the Sydney Opera House concert hall and São Paulo opera house.

The above-mentioned Dublin Castle I would have been more proud of, tbh, but, you know, you play the cards you're dealt....

• Haha 1

My bucket list has become local venues I can get to for free using my OAP bus pass. With one bass, a Barefaced One 10 and Trace Elliot Elf I’ve become, in the immortal words of Jasper Carrot, the nutter on the bus. 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1