Why become a member? ×

Playing at your bucket list venues

Although I never had a bucket list of venues as such, I’ve done almost all of the big festivals in the UK and Europe several times over, done pretty much every toilet venue in the UK and every pïśšhouse in London too. 

Done some fancy places like Sadler’s Wells, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Ally Pally, Tatton Gardens, Royal Festival Hall, Bloomsbury Theatre and stuff but the one place I always wanted to play was the Royal Albert Hall. Came close when I was depping for someone who was on the bill for the Ronnie Lane tribute concert there, but the band got bumped off the bill so that Midge Ure could come on and play instead : (

Even though I don’t play live anymore I’d change my mind in a second if RAH was a possibility 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I always dreamed of playing the London Astoria, but the bastards demolished it.

In second place was the Camden Underworld which I managed to play several times - fantastic vibe and atmosphere on stage but otherwise not too pleasant...

I have been onstage at the Brixton Academy but not not playing... I was security and snuck onstage when nobody was looking.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

I pinched myself to play at;

The Fleece - after door sales the band got £12.50. 

The Louisiana. Got my favourite video recorded on a phone!

Not huge venues but iconic in Bristol.

• Like 5

Just thought of another. It’s a tiny little festival on the Isle Of Wight called Rhythmtree. Only a couple of thousand punters, and not at all corporate in the way that IOW is and Bestival was. Local food stalls, local beer tents, easy load in and out, and probably the nicest staff I’ve encountered at a festival in the UK. 

I have played there before with several different bands and artists but I would absolutely love to be able to play there again, even if it would be my last ever gig, I’d be well happy if it was that one. 

Btw, if you’ve never been, it’s quite family oriented, loads of kids activities, loads of boutique little stages set up in woodland areas etc, and the music often has a global slant to it, so there might be a number of African or Indian or Czech or Brazilian artists and so on. But the last two times I played we went on after The Blockheads one year and after The Orb on my last island gig. Definitely a great weekend if you can do it 👍

• Like 1

We once played Knebworth (the village hall, which happens to look out onto where I would guess the festival was held).  For many years Hugh McKenna from SAHB had been our piano player (now VERY sadly RIP).  I was sitting next to him outside said venue...me with pint, he with pint of Red Bull.  I asked Hugh....so you supported Led Zep here didn't you Hugh......what was it like?  And he turned to me and said: 'do you know there's about 10 years of my life I can't remember Piers'.  He said it in his characteristic ironic way, which made us all laugh.  He was so glad he got off the rock and roll lifestyle and had many happy (if slightly impoverished) years playing with us.  Meanwhile, I am still slowly ticking off those Camden Pubs! 

Great thread by the way...I'm waiting for the first BassChatter to claim Woodstock........

• Like 5

In almost 40 years of gigging, I've never got much further than 200-300 seater venues, but I have had a lot of fun. Some of the more noteworthy venues I've played at are:

The Cavern

Dingwalls

Wulfrun Hall, Wolverhampton

Digbeth Civic Hall, Birmingham

The Falcon, Camden

JBs, Dudley

Hummingbird, Birmingham

Robin II, Bilston

Adrian Boult Hall, Birmingham

Glastonbury (Town Hall!)

My dream gig was always to play at the Birmingham Odeon, but sadly it was converted to a generic multiplex cinema a few years back.

• Like 2

On 15/07/2024 at 17:41, Piers_Williamson said:

We once played Knebworth (the village hall, which happens to look out onto where I would guess the festival was held).  For many years Hugh McKenna from SAHB had been our piano player (now VERY sadly RIP).  I was sitting next to him outside said venue...me with pint, he with pint of Red Bull.  I asked Hugh....so you supported Led Zep here didn't you Hugh......what was it like?  And he turned to me and said: 'do you know there's about 10 years of my life I can't remember Piers'.  He said it in his characteristic ironic way, which made us all laugh.  He was so glad he got off the rock and roll lifestyle and had many happy (if slightly impoverished) years playing with us.  Meanwhile, I am still slowly ticking off those Camden Pubs! 

Great thread by the way...I'm waiting for the first BassChatter to claim Woodstock........

I met Hugh twice, Piers. Coincidentally his Knebworth appearance was 50 years ago yesterday. Headliners over SAHB - who stole the show, i was there - were the Doobie Bros and Allman Bros. 
And yes, I quizzed him about it to little avail, too! 😁 Lovely man. 

EDIT: SAHB is the Sensational Alex Harvey Band for those under 60!

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/07/2024 at 12:23, paddy109 said:

I pinched myself to play at;

The Fleece - after door sales the band got £12.50. 

The Louisiana. Got my favourite video recorded on a phone!

Not huge venues but iconic in Bristol.

Need to get Thekla on that list too. I've played old and new Mr Wolfs several times in various bands. 

Got a gig at The Gryphon coming up too, which is a must for a metal band let alone one in Bristol. 

Other places I'd like to play would include:

- Headlining a festival, and get everyone to put the flash from their phones on (it was lighters when I first had this dream!), just so I can see them all

- If famous enough, do a village hall tour, all booked under different names, announce them a day or two before and have a string of packed out small gigs for people that really want to be there

• Like 1

I've been fortunate to have played with some established artistes at some great venues and festivals both here and abroad.
That said the only ones i had on my bucket list from way back were Birmingham Symphony hall, which i did twice with my own band, and Birmingham Town Hall with a band i play bass with. I'm a brummie so top venues in my home city is a great feeling.

Other noteworthy places i'm chuffed to have played that that weren't on my list.

The Greek Theatre (California) 2023

Waikiki Shell (Hawaii) 1992

Womad (Spain, Gran Canarias, Singapore) 2004 - 2006

Bullring (Tijuana Mexico, opening for Santana) 1992

Closing Ceremony for the 2022 Commonwealth Games

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I've been fortunate to have played with some established artistes at some great venues and festivals both here and abroad.
That said the only ones i had on my bucket list from way back were Birmingham Symphony hall, which i did twice with my own band, and Birmingham Town Hall with a band i play bass with. I'm a brummie so top venues in my home city is a great feeling.

Other noteworthy places i'm chuffed to have played that that weren't on my list.

The Greek Theatre (California) 2023

Waikiki Shell (Hawaii) 1992

Womad (Spain, Gran Canarias, Singapore) 2004 - 2006

Bullring (Tijuana Mexico, opening for Santana) 1992

Closing Ceremony for the 2022 Commonwealth Games

That is quite a list !

I've remembered another notable gig. I was in a tribute band for a while in the 2000's  and we got booked to play "Rock Pissouri" in Cyprus. It wasn't really decent money, but it was flights and accommodation for band members AND PARTNERS for 5 nights. We all went on holiday!

The gig was outdoors in an Amphitheatre and the backdrop for the band was the Mediterranean. 

That one was a highlight, but it wasn't on my bucket list at the time, but I doubt I'll ever play another like it.

Rob

On 14/07/2024 at 12:33, gafbass02 said:

Princess Charlotte in Leicester .... I even ran the sound there a few times.

Aged 19, I "ran" the sound there for a friend's gig, which is to say that I absolutely ruined it. The shame still burns. During one song feedback started somewhere and I just couldn't locate it. Utterly useless. Gah.

3 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

Aged 19, I "ran" the sound there for a friend's gig, which is to say that I absolutely ruined it. The shame still burns. During one song feedback started somewhere and I just couldn't locate it. Utterly useless. Gah.

The same thing happened to me there, great sound for the first act, and then endless feedback in the second set, with the guitarist moaning loudly over the mic that he couldn’t hear himself. I was called all sorts of names over the mic. 
Afterwards I found he’d taken the mic off his amp and pointed it into a corner. When I asked why he said ‘it was in the way’

!!!!!!!!

I mean. Really!!?!! 
Total @&@@@🤪😫😂

• Haha 2

Along the way I’ve played Alexandra Palace Great Hall, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Edinburgh Queens Hall, Hall for Cornwall in Truro, a couple of big summer festivals in the UK and Europe.

The Princess Charlotte in Leicester several times along with Leicester De Montfort Hall with various different bands. 

I love venues which look great from the stage, so on that alone I’d love to play the Albert Hall and Glastonbury. 

Bucket-list ones that I've played:

100 Club

Marquee

O2 Forum Kentish Town (back when it was Town & Country Club)

Thekla, Bristol

Yet to do, but time is not on my side:

Any major festival 

One we had to miss out on:

McLaren after-party at the Monaco Grand Prix (that hurt) 

Edited by Rich
  • Sad 1

It's a good few years since I've been playing in a band regularly, but I tour as a tour manager/engineer/backline tech, so I've been lucky enough to "play" on some bucket list stages, but just to an empty room in soundchecks (or a couple of notes very quickly to a full room during a changeover for line checks 🤣)

The absolute best one has to be jumping on stage with a couple of crew and a couple of our band members at Anfield before a support slot to have a quick 2 mins jam to check monitor levels because we didn't get time for the band to do a proper soundcheck. It was the first stadium show I'd done, so to do that in my hometown was a nice little buzz!

• Like 2