Why become a member? ×

NBD - Rickenbacker 4005XC Amber Fireglo

Stag

Well, whoops - I bought one, and im very glad I did!

This is an amazing instrument. It feels great - I cant describe it, just really well constructed and "Premium" (which youd expect considering the price...) Even the rear of the bass has been bound at the edges with the classic Ric checkerboard finish.

The bottom string using the neck pickup is thunderous bottom end, its like an EB2 on steroids. Then one flick to mid position and youve got a honky sort of vintage 70's tone... lastly on full bridge pickup (with a pick, preferably) you've got a sound very close to the classic 4003. A very versatile instrument indeed! The case is somewhat bigger than the other vintage case I have for my 4003 BRG but thats to get the wider body in... speaking of which this might be short scale but it doesnt FEEL it. Reason? The body is basically a 360-shape body so its mahooosive, so the bass itself is pretty much as long in total as a 4003. So if you are put off by shorties, maybe try one of these first and see what you think - its not dinky like an EB3 (which puts me off using my SG Bass). Oh yeah, and theres 24 frets so dusty-end widdling is very much catered for here! There's a great deal of "give" in this neck, absolutely no effort is required to bend strings on this unlike nearly all my "early" Rics.

The independent dealer I bought mine from had FIVE (!!!) of them in stock, i picked up the one which was the lightest (got to start thinking about my back now, haha) which coincidentally also had the nicest wood figuring under the finish on the body, as well as the darkest fretboard, which I like.. particulaarly in contrast to the crushed pearl sharkfin inlays. Feel free to ask any questions... this one is a keeper!

IMG20240707180140.jpg

IMG20240707180149.jpg

IMG20240707202829.jpg

IMG20240714095938.jpg

IMG20240714095949.jpg

IMG20240714095926.jpg

Edited by Stag
  • Like 19