Why become a member? ×

New Spector Euro line - The Euro CST Series

cetera

I should have known it was too good to be true. Just when I thought I had found the perfect way to dip my toe into the world of Spector basses and live out my darkest 1980's hair metal fantasies. The finishes on the CST basses in the shops are nowhere near what is on the promotional instruments. I will just have to wait and see if Spector responds by improving the finishes, but I doubt they will.

1 minute ago, BassApprentice said:

I am yet to see one, so what is the issue with the finishes?

The issue is the huge gap between what Korg advertises ("Each Euro CST instrument is meticulously crafted using premium materials, featuring a striking, highly figured Poplar Burl top, a resonant European Ash body, and a 3-piece North American Maple neck paired with an Ebony fingerboard) and what they actually ask retailers to sell:EURO4CSTRED_Front.thumb.jpg.a2e42cbec7b77a531f817ede48a70c42.jpg

SpectorEuroCST_4.jpg.6b8466fb15dff32dd7500f04c3f45946.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It reminds me of the scene from "Falling Down" when William Foster wants to order breakfast but has to order from the lunch menu instead. He eventually goes for the WhammyBurger because it looks great on the display board, only to be disappointed by what he gets instead 🙂 

WhammyBurger.thumb.jpg.4224abc330ea72b7c54fed2964943d4d.jpg

WhammyBurger_2.thumb.jpg.91bc73d4ea3fc1d12fd8e51576dbdf2a.jpg

WhammyBurger_3.jpg.abd935c483fc23c3de192f2aba321ce2.jpg

• Haha 2

On 16/07/2024 at 22:17, NancyJohnson said:

I have hands like shovels; in truth I struggle with ukeleles, but beyond that I'm fine.

What I don't get is people will go, 'Tsk! 1.64" nut, no good for me!', but in truth, unless you're playing a bass with a non-tapering neck (viz. Rickenbacker 1 & 11/16"), what happens when you get up the dusty end where it's half inch plus wider?

Hand positioning is completely different when at the dusty end compared to when stretched out near the headstock.

On 18/07/2024 at 09:58, Bigwan said:

Hmm, liked the look of these, but some of the CST models Bass Direct have just received have the WORST burst paint job I think I've ever seen...

image.png.e441e1d61b1b3a3cdfc45aa2309a5a31.pngimage.png.9b165428846457fc6d611d00793a8edb.png

They look really shonky. 

I'll admit, I quite like a natural finish poplar burl if the piece is nice and it has a gloss coat to make it look glassy and 'pop'. I really don't think it takes colour that well at the best of times, but these two examples above are particularly poor. 

Over time we've seen more and more poplar tops because it's a cheaper wood. I do still think that when I see it on ever-pricier basses. I also remember a few years ago when a customer was in dispute with Kiesel because he had been sold a guitar with a blueburst finish over poplar burl that looked pretty rich in the colour-graded photos but was pretty washed out and you looked at it and Kiesel blamed the wood. I've heard other luthiers also saying that burled poplar can be hit and miss as to how well it takes colour.

• Like 1

Hmm, liked the look of these, but some of the CST models Bass Direct have just received have the WORST burst paint job I think I've ever seen...

image.png.e441e1d61b1b3a3cdfc45aa2309a5a31.pngimage.png.9b165428846457fc6d611d00793a8edb.png

It's like the tan someone gets if they fall asleep reading and the book finishes up covering their stomach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

image.png.e441e1d61b1b3a3cdfc45aa2309a5a31.png

SOLD!

Well, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Or, less poetically, what do we know? 😉 

SpectorEuroCST_6.thumb.jpg.98991fda58beeaf8cf41985d7cf6182d.jpg

3 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

SOLD!

Well, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Or, less poetically, what do we know? 😉 

SpectorEuroCST_6.thumb.jpg.98991fda58beeaf8cf41985d7cf6182d.jpg

Oh they really do look awful. Can’t get my head around the paint job/finishing. It looks like someone started something and then changed their mind half way through. Hey, if it makes someone happy, then Spector have done their job, but if that turned up on my doorstep, it would go straight back. I hope they play/sound better than they look, which I’m positive they do. 

• Like 2

I've been doing a bit of research and I have good news in so much as there seems to be a lot of variation in the finishes of the individual basses. Sweetwater have got a few blackburst ones in stock and they are all different. One looks like the one at Bass Direct, the others look more like the images that Spector have been disseminating. 

The downside to that is those inconsistencies mean if you want to buy one you then have to find one with a finish that matches your preference. Not just the right finish but also the right rendition of that finish.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...