Why become a member? ×

Fender bassman TV combo reissue opinions

uk_lefty

I've seen a few of these retro tweed boxes advertised and I'm quite tempted... I'd have to shift some gear to get one but that's normal. Just wondering what the opinion is on these, anything I can find is quite a few years old and the world has moved on since then. I'm tempted by the looks but hoping that there's a pleasing sound to them too. I expect they have some weight, but it would most likely replace my SWR as a home/ small gig amp if I were to get one. 

All opinions welcome.

I had the 350W 15" combo, ran it for about 4/5 years then moved it on as I fancied a change. Lovely tone for blues. Looked the biz. The single top handle made it awkward to move up stairs/through doors. Sounds similar to the Vintage channel on the 500/800W Bassman.

• Like 1

Bought the 350 watt TV15 as soon as they came out. The 6 ft six delivery man refused to deliver it when he found out I lived 3 floors up. I had to go and pick it up from the depo.

Loved it, as it was a beautiful looking thing, but that silly handle made it extremely difficult to carry anywhere, especially up 3 flights of stairs.

I loved the look on the face of the guy who bought it from me. He gave me the cash before he tried to pick it up. I could see he was having second thoughts but he wasn't getting that money back.

Get the little one with the 10 inch speaker if you are just going to use it as a home combo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, gjones said:

Bought the 350 watt TV15 as soon as they came out. The 6 ft six delivery man refused to deliver it when he found out I lived 3 floors up. I had to go and pick it up from the depo.

Loved it, as it was a beautiful looking thing, but that silly handle made it extremely difficult to carry anywhere, especially up 3 flights of stairs.

I loved the look on the face of the guy who bought it from me. He gave me the cash before he tried to pick it up. I could see he was having second thoughts but he wasn't getting that money back.

Get the little one with the 10 inch speaker if you are just going to use it as a home combo.

That's a bit like me when I went to Andertons and tried the Fender Vintera II Telecaster Bass. I played it through an Orange Crush 100 watt 15" combo and I was blown away by the sound and the adjustability of the EQ. I'd never tried any Orange amps or combo's before and the sound I was hearing was amazing. I wondered how heavy this little combo was so I went to pick it up and as I lifted my arm, its just stretched and the combo stayed exactly still on the ground 🤣 That was the end of that idea. 54Lbs was a bit much to have as a lightweight portable combo 🤣

• Haha 1

I will echo the others who have commented in saying the sound was old school and it weighed a ton. It was almost impossible to pickup so I installed wheels to the 12" version which made it easier to transport. I think it lasted 2 gigs before I sold it on. 

my recollection is that is was more awkward than heavy - the cabinet is fairly substantial size so it was a bit of a lift to get it into the boot of the car. 

9 minutes ago, NHM said:

my recollection is that is was more awkward than heavy - the cabinet is fairly substantial size so it was a bit of a lift to get it into the boot of the car. 

Yes, I tried the 15 ages ago. Liked the sound, and the weight was OK, but side handles would have made it way easier. I think a combination of using the top handle and the ports on the back as grab holes worked quite well but the weight was quite off centre so it was fairly awkward. That said, with wheels it's fine and if you carry it all by yourself you'll only end up helping the drummer with his hardware.

Ummmm it's in my office right now. TV 12. The weight is not a problem really, around 20kg, glad it's not a bigger box though. Will give it a proper play through and maybe even one of this weekends gigs and report back.

However this does mean that I have far too many bass amps.

PXL_20240717_144932793.MP.jpg

• Like 2

They do look pretty cool. I didn't realise they do a 2x10 version, the heaviest of the lot. Did you get a good deal? I have seen the 15" version for about £300 locally

7 minutes ago, ped said:

They do look pretty cool. I didn't realise they do a 2x10 version, the heaviest of the lot. Did you get a good deal? I have seen the 15" version for about £300 locally

I'm happy with the deal. I'd looked at a few different versions online in varying conditions and I'm happy with what I've paid. Thing is, I just paid for a service on my SWR practice amp... Can't justify keeping both. Need to thoroughly check this amp out. Two gigs this weekend so it may get both of them.

• Like 1