Why become a member? ×

Will a Jazz neck fit on a Precision body?

As the title says, will a Fender (or Squier) be like for like at the heel end? I love my Jazz neck but also love the rock solid sound of a Precision. Could I do a swap? A friend has a Precision body he’s moving on and it’s tempting, if I can put a Jazz neck on it.

Although I’ve done this many times with Fender Telecaster necks and bodies, I’ve never done it using Jazz and Precision parts.

🙏 Thank you in advance for any advice or help given, you lovely folks. Even if it’s just “buy another bass, you know you want to” 😂 (I mean, I don’t want to but, well, there’s plenty basses out there isn’t there? Hmmmm, I’m not really helping myself here am I?) 

(Mods please feel free to move this if it’s in the wrong section!)

Yeah, in my experience they are interchangeable, this is a mex P body with an older jazz neck I liked the feel of, it fitted fine, can’t remember if the screw holes were exact but that’s something you could overcome 

IMG_1622.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, in my experience they are interchangeable, this is a mex P body with an older jazz neck I liked the feel of, it fitted fine, can’t remember if the screw holes were exact but that’s something you could overcome 

IMG_1622.jpeg

Oh wow, that looks great! What’s the thingy by the bridge? A custom mute or something?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meterman said:

Oh wow, that looks great! What’s the thingy by the bridge? A custom mute or something?

Thanks, it was just a bit of a project to mess around with but it came out quite a good player, the tonerider pickups in it is something I’d recommend, and pretty cheap too, it’s The Bassmute by the bridge, https://www.bassmute.eu/bm_mainframe.html

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Looking forward to the pics once you get it (you know the rules...)

Yes, I know - mandatory!

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks, it was just a bit of a project to mess around with but it came out quite a good player, the tonerider pickups in it is something I’d recommend, and pretty cheap too, it’s The Bassmute by the bridge, https://www.bassmute.eu/bm_mainframe.html

That Bassmute looks a bit compimicated to me. I'm still using the bit of old acoustic foam that I nicked from a recording studio in 1989. I should have nicked a few more bits and started my own company - "ToneFoam" or something...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, meterman said:

Yes, I know - mandatory!

That Bassmute looks a bit compimicated to me. I'm still using the bit of old acoustic foam that I nicked from a recording studio in 1989. I should have nicked a few more bits and started my own company - "ToneFoam" or something...

Ha, I think @Reggaebass has a stronger claim to Tone Foam...😏

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, meterman said:

Yes, I know - mandatory!

It just clicks on or off really, I just like a gadget 😁, you can’t beat a bit of tone foam 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Did you manage to get the P body meterman 

He hasn't got back to me yet. If I can get it, he'll be bringing it over from the UK as he's visiting me next month. Will keep everyone updated and take pictures if it works out. I hope it does 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, meterman said:

He hasn't got back to me yet. If I can get it, he'll be bringing it over from the UK as he's visiting me next month. Will keep everyone updated and take pictures if it works out. I hope it does 👍

Nice one 👍

• Like 1

I've built at least twenty Precision basses with Jazz necks over the years, and providing they are Fender or Squier necks and bodies, or Fender "licensed" like Mighty Mite, then they will all fit perfectly. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thebrig said:

I've built at least twenty Precision basses with Jazz necks over the years, and providing they are Fender or Squier necks and bodies, or Fender "licensed" like Mighty Mite, then they will all fit perfectly. 🙂

Thank you The Brig, I totally appreciate your knowledge 🙏 I think it's going to be a Squier neck on a Fender body, which probably doesn't happen too often, (and it means I'll never be able to try and pass it off as a Fender so my conscience is clear) but if I can fettle it I'll be very happy 👍

7 minutes ago, meterman said:

Thank you The Brig, I totally appreciate your knowledge 🙏 I think it's going to be a Squier neck on a Fender body, which probably doesn't happen too often, (and it means I'll never be able to try and pass it off as a Fender so my conscience is clear) but if I can fettle it I'll be very happy 👍

You're welcome meterman, I've fitted a few squier necks to Fender bodies with no problems at all 👍

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update: my mate sold me a Squier Sonic Precision for £100, and I put the neck from my Squier Jazz on it, and it was a dead-on fit.

Put a set of La Bella flats on, added a tugbar and a 3-ply pickguard, and it's just an amazing bass, I had no idea a Precision with a Jazz neck would be the perfect bass for me but I have a feeling that this is. Blown away at how great a bass can be for Harley Benton money. And, it's blue 👍

IMG_0714.thumb.jpeg.f5b4120ab7cac1b2d2ea445a3d83282a.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1