Why become a member? ×

What Guitar would a Bassist grab?

4 hours ago, KingBollock said:

The first guitar I bought was a Cort headless Flying V.

A349E8FA-205C-4FAB-848D-D24CDCCDE70E.webp.ffa8c7a0348568544d7940d4209e2502.webp

It was that colour when I bought it, but it is currently banana yellow. I plan on stripping it and staining it walnut at some point.

Works for me!

• Like 1

I don’t really count, being a percussionist first and foremost, but guitar wise it would either be a Telcaster of some kind or a Danelectro DC59 (late 90’s reissue), they’re my go-to’s for guitar but I’ve got all sorts - Mustang, Jazzmaster, couple of Guild Starfires (one’s a 12-string) a Bigsby-ed Silvertone, 3 Teles, plus an electric sitar and some acoustics and a couple of ukes. 

Around 100 guitars and basses have passed through the ranks over the last 40 years and I’m currently Strat-less and have no Gibsons. Although I would love a late 1953 / early ‘54 Gibson Les Paul - the gold top ones with the wraparound bridge and the pair of P-90s. At some point when a decent chunk of money comes in, I’ll track down one of Gibsons many reissues of these. 

But if I pick any instrument up to write on, it tends to be a Precision or Jazz Bass. I always found it easier to write on bass, despite it being my 4th or 5th instrument, in order of playing ability.

I've got an Epiphone Phantomatic... it's a bit of a lightweight thing, but fine for writing/home demos.

If I needed something better/robust, roadworthy or, more importantly, a workhorse, I'd try and source a Yamaha SG1000/2000/3000.

If I was to know how to use those six (6 !!!!!) narrow strings with my chunky fingers, I´d like to have a Les Paul Junior.

Love the unique sound and the look of it.

• Like 3

Kind of loving this thread, as a (very) bad guitarist, I'm going down two routes.....
1) Any Guitar........ever.....
2) Guitars I (might!) have access to (mostly via my father)
This is also (in my head....) topical, as I want to do 'Coast to Coast' by Scorpions....with me thrashing out (effectively Klaus Meine) powerchords
1) Flying V, Les Paul Jr DC, Blonde Tele/Esquire, Rory Gallagher's Strat
2) White Yamaha SF500 (the OG, for me), THE Strat (his subtly modded Black/Black/Maple megalith), Shell Pink (bitsa Strat pig, apparently), the Ric 12 (bete noire handful.....but the tone.....)

Depends what kind of bassist you are, I think. Being a no-frills P or J bass type, a Telecaster is my weapon of choice. Has what you need and nothing you don't. If I played a 7 string active Fodera, my choice would probably be more adventurous.

On 16/07/2024 at 16:20, Dad3353 said:

Only an expression, I know, but I was absent (at work...) when a spark ignited our sofa, and I lost my Antoria Hummingbird 12-string acoustic. My Good Lady extinguished the blaze, but too late for the guitar (and the sofa...). 'Stuff' happens. :(

Sorry for the loss of yer guitar, but it's not only an expression for me. The FIRST thing I would grab in a fire is the Chapman Stick, then  the $$$.

On 21/07/2024 at 15:27, smithy said:

If I was to know how to use those six (6 !!!!!) narrow strings with my chunky fingers, I´d like to have a Les Paul Junior.

Love the unique sound and the look of it.

Check out Joni Mitchell tunings seriously the reason I got a bass was because I couldn't play chords on guitar. I have about 30 written down - there's more - that I use on my Squier Strat. I de-tune or whatever and put that neck/middle pu on w/ clean chorus & echo echo echo...

On 15/07/2024 at 22:40, Simon C said:

Good question.  The work bonus is due to be paid with this month’s salary.  I have 4 basses (I’ve discovered the perfect number is 3.5), and enough pedals to be going with, so some of the bonus will go on a guitar.  I’ll let you know what the answer is when I’ve bought it.

A PRS SE 24-08 is the answer. NGD today. 

DSC_0210.JPG

• Like 3

I do like custom shiny Les Paul guitars, especially with Marshalls. These days though, its Fender strat style guitars with an effects processor direct into a desk/PA or a vintage Fender amp, either solid state or tube. As long as I can get a Fender style tone that is all that matters.

Past glories...

Screenshot2024-07-28at01_55_39.thumb.png.20c585f897e689becf15777dbcff8019.png

and more currently a humble Sonic Squier Strat + GT100

Screenshot2024-07-28at01_44_48.thumb.png.b8665968ccd54fb29fd3f38f08ca02b1.png

On 26/07/2024 at 21:35, Simon C said:

A PRS SE 24-08 is the answer. NGD today. 

DSC_0210.JPG

I have a no name Strat at home that I pick up every now and again (more again) and re start my attempts to learn guitar; unfortunately, there is no love in my heart for the instrument.  

I have a guitar playing mate and we often go to guitar shows together.  Of all the guitars on show, I'm normally attracted to Teles and the brightly coloured guitars on sale at the PRS stand.  Your PRS is beautiful.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I have a no name Strat at home that I pick up every now and again (more again) and re start my attempts to learn guitar; unfortunately, there is no love in my heart for the instrument.  

I have a guitar playing mate and we often go to guitar shows together.  Of all the guitars on show, I'm normally attracted to Teles and the brightly coloured guitars on sale at the PRS stand.  Your PRS is beautiful.

Yes teles are cool.

Thanks re my PRS.  It plays really well too.  It sounds pretty good with me playing it, so in the hands of someone who can actually play, I think it will sound really good.

• Like 1

I dabble on guitar but I do NOT widdle; the duo I play in was going to be called Sans Solo!  As such the guitar I've plumped for is a Taylor T5.  Looks less like a widdle machine and makes nice noises... perfect for a bassist!  

• Like 1

I’d reach for “a burning one”, then I’d have an excuse for putting it down quickly and once it had become a pile of ashes I would not have to play it, there’d be one less guitar in the world and I wouldn’t have to

listen to anyone else play the weedy thing either.

Triple whammy of “win!” There 

• Like 1

Before I saw the light and became a bassist, I played guitar and my dream was to own a Les Paul. Eventually, I found I could justify it as I'd started playing in a busy duo (which is where I started playing bass, too). I also had an opportunity to get an American Strat at trade price so I was using both at gigs. As much as I loved the Les Paul, the Strat was more versatile for the duo and eventually the Les Paul went to fund yet another bass.

Recently I depped on rhythm guitar in my mate's band and he lent me a cheap Squier Tele as a back up guitar and I loved it. So my answer would currently be a Telecaster. But in the same way as my bass-of-choice changes, so would my go-to guitar.

• Like 1

Fender-y electrics and Gibson-y acoustics for me. When I was playing electric guitar with a band last, I had a dalliance with a 335 copy for a while just for a change, but the snap and clang of something Fenderish works better for me, and a bitsa Jazzmaster was the longest running choice.