Why become a member? ×

What Guitar would a Bassist grab?

On 26/07/2024 at 21:35, Simon C said:

A PRS SE 24-08 is the answer. NGD today. 

DSC_0210.JPG

I do like a PRS. 20 or so years ago I bought this on Ebay.

It's a long story but the guy bought it to replace a PRS that got lost/stolen while he was touring.

The lost guitar he actually bought from my brother in 1991/92.

There'a book called the ultimate guitar and there's a double page spread picture of a vintage yellow PRS signature guitar. This was my brother's guitar.

He was telling me his guitar had been lost and was in a book called the ultimate guitar book

I said, that was my brother's guitar, he said is your brother called Clive?

Yes

100_3903.JPG

• Like 4

If I’m only allowed one then it would be a Taylor T5Z - oh yes I have one! 

So versatile, an acoustic internal pickup plus 2 humbuckers ( one is concealed under the fretboard), and being semi hollow it’s nice and light.

In the past I’ve had a Hofner Club 40, Harmony Sovereign, Washburn H35 (335 clone), Aria Acoustic, Washburn PRS look alike, Takamine 12  Guild D45, Taylor 314, Taylor 12 string and currently K.Yaira New York 21, Taylor Builders Edition Grand Pacific.

I like having guitars around, but favour acoustics, but still consider myself first and foremost a bass player.

IMG_0865.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2024 at 13:57, tony_m said:

I'm not a guitarist (or a bass player, some might say... ), but if I were, it would have to be a butterscotch blonde / black guard Tele (or even better, an Esquire) or a TV yellow Les Paul Junior. Just love those simple planks.

Oooh... 🤩

• Like 2

Never having tried an LP of any type I thought I'd give this a go. Strung with rather heavy flats it gives an excellent jazz tone and I found it more comfortable than a Tele to play. Unfortunately, I must now resist the urge to waste money on a "proper" one.
Perhaps foolishly, I agreed to try a jazz trio rehearsal on Monday so will try it then.

PXL_20240717_121502358.thumb.jpg.ead99a868e656cc5bd0316f16959d0f8.jpg

• Like 4

On 15/07/2024 at 20:34, Barking Spiders said:

I have several guitars including an Epiphone Sheraton but if I had the money my #1 choice would be...

image.thumb.png.322d172ff52b8a17b1613d0157f0da7f.png

I have a Japan-made Sheraton of 1983 vintage, which has been in my ownership for about 35 years.

Occasionally, I have a hankering for a Telecaster, but the Sheraton does me well enough for the occasions I need a guitar 🙂

Edited by cybertect

On 16/07/2024 at 21:20, Dad3353 said:

Only an expression, I know, but I was absent (at work...) when a spark ignited our sofa, and I lost my Antoria Hummingbird 12-string acoustic. My Good Lady extinguished the blaze, but too late for the guitar (and the sofa...). 'Stuff' happens. :(

Hi Honey! So glad you're home.

You know how, while I'm watching telly, you sit on the sofa and noodle away on your guitar? Well, I've got some terrible news...

22 minutes ago, lotte said:

Hi Honey! So glad you're home.

You know how, while I'm watching telly, you sit on the sofa and noodle away on your guitar? Well, I've got some terrible news...

Yes, that's about the size of it (although the 'Hi Honey' would have surprised me greatly..!). The 12-string was not valuable (just a Hummingbird copy...), but I'd toured the UK and France with it (no, not as a Player; just whilst 'out'...), and it had a lot of 'mojo' for me. Ah well, such is Life. I've a good acoustic now, but my 12-string is an electric (Daisy Rock Retro...)...

noJRhn4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Strat with rail pickups Floyd Rose and lock nut for anything you want to play

Tele for noodling and Epiphone Goldtop Korean made (just as good as Gibson) for any riffs from AC/DC to rock and roll to HM.

And a cheap Jackson dinky for trash and heavy stuff.

And bitsa guitars with upgraded pickups for fun

10 hours ago, knirirr said:

Never having tried an LP of any type I thought I'd give this a go. Strung with rather heavy flats it gives an excellent jazz tone and I found it more comfortable than a Tele to play. Unfortunately, I must now resist the urge to waste money on a "proper" one.
Perhaps foolishly, I agreed to try a jazz trio rehearsal on Monday so will try it then.

PXL_20240717_121502358.thumb.jpg.ead99a868e656cc5bd0316f16959d0f8.jpg

Nice guitar, I have an Epiphone Goldtop and would never want a proper one unless I have discretionary income

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, that's about the size of it (although the 'Hi Honey' would have surprised me greatly..!).

Oh dear! Sorry, I thought I was making a joke. I guess putting the mojo into an instrument is the real fun though and you got to start afresh.

7 minutes ago, lotte said:

Oh dear! Sorry, I thought I was making a joke. 

A non-issue; expressions such as 'Hi Honey'  did not come naturally to my French wife. Maybe 'Salut, Daddy'..? :friends:

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

Nice guitar, I have an Epiphone Goldtop and would never want a proper one unless I have discretionary income

I have to keep reminding myself that it would cost 20x more but won't be 20x better, and I need that money for more important things.

Just now, knirirr said:

I have to keep reminding myself that it would cost 20x more but won't be 20x better, and I need that money for more important things.

If you compared the two and played blindfolded you wouldn't notice much difference, in fact it may be better by a fraction, but maybe. I'd rather buy a nice Marshall combo and save the rest of cash

• Like 1

I'm a little embarrassed by the amount of guitars as it suggests I'm much better than I actually am.  But I enjoy messing about with them, pick up swapping, customising etc.   But space constraints will mean a one in one out policy soon, I think.

In the middle are three Yamaha MSGs (aka Image outside the UK).   Yamaha's jump on the PRS bandwagon and their existing experience in copying Les Pauls for their Studio Lord range.  As much as I would love to own a PRS or two, it's hard to justify when the MSGs are just as playable and (dare I say it?) look nicer.  The far left one is my main guitar and had a black replacement trem installed after threads wore out on the original chrome one.  It used to have the pickups in the one on the far right and the sound was very creamy - imagine the solo off Wuthering Heights.  Currently has a DiMarzio Satur8 in the bridge and Air Zone in the neck positions but I'm not so enamoured with the sound.  Middle one is an MSG Standard - more faithful to the LP concept and it has PRS Mira pickups for a classic rock sound.  Far right one is slightly surplus but a little lighter, it has Armstrong humbuckers which sound like PAF's once they've been eq'd for recording.  Smooth, nice midrange but also very balanced.

The blue strat in the corner was originally a Chandler Custom Strat, their take on a Valley Arts but now the only thing that is still original is the body wood - a 2 piece slab of quilted maple.  I made a neck for it last year because I was so comfortable with the 44mm wide nuts and ebony fingerboards on the Yamaha MSGs.

65b14038bab86b6b53bb0bae12b4f8d.jpg

And last summer I also made this in about a week - a hybrid of a MSG and an Aria RS Esprit (which featured low pass filters) but with a middle pickup and piezos.  The pickups are passive Alembic Activators, the low pass filters are customised by Lusithand and the piezo is by Graphtec to fit the Wilkinson VSW100CV convertible trem.  I'm still working on the electronics as the piezo saddles have proved to be both fragile and expensive to replace but it can do Go West after turning the bridge filter down and dialling back the neck filter a little.  Piezo response is not as much like an acoustic guitar as I expected and there's a bit of a gain bump as they're going through two gain stages (filters and GHOST acousti-phonic preamp) but it'll do in a pinch...probably.

The Clean Machine.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I'm a little embarrassed by the amount of guitars as it suggests I'm much better than I actually am.  But I enjoy messing about with them, pick up swapping, customising etc.   But space constraints will mean a one in one out policy soon, I think.

In the middle are three Yamaha MSGs (aka Image outside the UK).   Yamaha's jump on the PRS bandwagon and their existing experience in copying Les Pauls for their Studio Lord range.  As much as I would love to own a PRS or two, it's hard to justify when the MSGs are just as playable and (dare I say it?) look nicer.  The far left one is my main guitar and had a black replacement trem installed after threads wore out on the original chrome one.  It used to have the pickups in the one on the far right and the sound was very creamy - imagine the solo off Wuthering Heights.  Currently has a DiMarzio Satur8 in the bridge and Air Zone in the neck positions but I'm not so enamoured with the sound.  Middle one is an MSG Standard - more faithful to the LP concept and it has PRS Mira pickups for a classic rock sound.  Far right one is slightly surplus but a little lighter, it has Armstrong humbuckers which sound like PAF's once they've been eq'd for recording.  Smooth, nice midrange but also very balanced.

The blue strat in the corner was originally a Chandler Custom Strat, their take on a Valley Arts but now the only thing that is still original is the body wood - a 2 piece slab of quilted maple.  I made a neck for it last year because I was so comfortable with the 44mm wide nuts and ebony fingerboards on the Yamaha MSGs.

65b14038bab86b6b53bb0bae12b4f8d.jpg

And last summer I also made this in about a week - a hybrid of a MSG and an Aria RS Esprit (which featured low pass filters) but with a middle pickup and piezos.  I'm still working on the electronics as the piezo saddles have proved to be both fragile and expensive to replace.   But it can do Go West after turning the bridge filter down and dialling back the neck filter a little.  Piezo response is not as much like an acoustic guitar as I expected but it'll do in a pinch probably.

The Clean Machine.png

can I see a Nile Rodges hitmaker there

A man after my own heart. I've got an MIJ Strat from the 80's. I love it. And a Balladeer I bought in 1975, with a whole term's student grant-£150. Snapped the headstock twice. I put carbon rods in and it holds its tuning better than when new.

I would LOVE one of those Ovation classical guitars, they sound so good to my tired old ears. How I envy you.

For me it’ll invariably be my Brook acoustic…

IMG_0808.thumb.jpeg.87f9d68d11d6e25d8c173e11812c748f.jpeg

But if it had to be an electric it’d be my Gordon Smith - twin buckers but splittable pickups!

IMG_0680.jpeg.19ed1421bc56a8d5fa06293f5431cc2c.jpeg

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

On 03/08/2024 at 20:18, SH73 said:

One of the nicest guitars I ever owned was an Epiphone Gold Top; it was a mid 1990's Korean (Samick?) guitar and it was the absolute bollocks.

2 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

One of the nicest guitars I ever owned was an Epiphone Gold Top; it was a mid 1990's Korean (Samick?) guitar and it was the absolute bollocks.

I have a Korean 90's built Epi gold top but have yet to research which factory it was built in. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2024 at 15:07, police squad said:

can I see a Nile Rodges hitmaker there

Yes, a near perfect replica by Alan Knight in Bromley.  Let's just say it didn't cost me the 5k Fender are asking and lacks a dusting of gold paint to make it look more yellow.  But the parts are all Fender licensed apart from the body which is alder and slightly thinner than standard, as is the original.  The pickguard is also a Kahler brass job, NOS from the early 80's, and identical to the one on Nile's guitar - rocking horse poo these days, I got lucky (ha).  But Fender sell after market replacements now.  I did have replica 50's strat pickups made in Russia installed originally but I disliked their weak ouput so much that I installed a set of 50's Fender noiseless instead and there's not only a little more gain but also no hum.   Tonally it absolutely delivers that scratchy recorded sound of the original...although Nile's use of other guitars on recordings is kind of overlooked in the hype to promote mythology and fetishisation of the Hitmaker. 

On 04/08/2024 at 14:27, rwillett said:

If it helps, I can reduce your embarrassing number of guitars.

It's a free service I offer to Basschat members. No thanks necessary.

Rob

You are more than welcome to the jazz box, but collection only...

5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Yes, a near perfect replica by Alan Knight in Bromley.  Let's just say it didn't cost me the 5k Fender are asking and lacks a dusting of gold paint to make it look more yellow.  But the parts are all Fender licensed apart from the body which is alder and slightly thinner than standard, as is the original.  The pickguard is also a Kahler brass job, NOS from the early 80's, and identical to the one on Nile's guitar - rocking horse poo these days, I got lucky (ha).  But Fender sell after market replacements now.  I did have replica 50's strat pickups made in Russia installed originally but I disliked their weak ouput so much that I installed a set of 50's Fender noiseless instead and there's not only a little more gain but also no hum.   Tonally it absolutely delivers that scratchy recorded sound of the original...although Nile's use of other guitars on recordings is kind of overlooked in the hype to promote mythology and fetishisation of the Hitmaker. 

You are more than welcome to the jazz box, but collection only...

didnt know Alan Knight was still working. Nice job there