Why become a member? ×

What Guitar would a Bassist grab?

18 hours ago, police squad said:

didnt know Alan Knight was still working. Nice job there

I'm not sure if he is, he made the Hitmaker ten years ago.   He does really good work.

• Like 1

I'm not a guitarist, not even slightly. But if I was, there's three guitars I'd want: a beaten up old natural Tele, a Parker Fly Artist, and a D'Angelico New Yorker. 

• Like 1

I have a few nice guitars, made this using a squier neck and a Northern Guitars body blank. Got some secret sauce (e.g. di Marzio stacked humbucker from about 1985).

But I'd probably choose my recently refretted 1976 Epiphone jumbo acoustic or my brother's 1962 SG Junior.

Finished.thumb.jpg.ee57bd7b8a382ca983eda5f9a3abee03.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

I said, "the one guitar".

Bass players.

I realised that there are two valid answers for me, depending on circumstances. My original answer of a James Tyler Variax (probably the 69), but that's for when I'm going out with a guitar to an open mic or the like. When just playing in the house, it's the Eko Ranger 6 which is also the musical instrument I've had the longest.

6 hours ago, rwillett said:

At this moment in time, I'd grab my MIK 89 Telecaster. Butterscotch yellow and just so much fun to play, even if the neck pickup is a black hole of muddy sound

Ha ha, know what you mean. I quite like the neck pickup on a Tele, and also the struggle of

setting up an amp to cope between the massive difference in tone they offer on neck and

bridge pickups! Great guitars once you can get that sweet spot though. 
If your Tele front pick up is as bad as you describe, maybe it needs some attention? 
I have a Baja model Tele and it is fairly lively on all settings. 

The neck pickup isn't quite as bad as I make out. It needs something like a little Champion 600 or Tweed to make it sound good. Basically anything without any bass at all 😊

I run it into either a Mod Dwarf, Logic Pro or Amplitube. It sounds good in Amplitube as that's a Fender product. I do keep thinking I'll have a look at the neck pickup and do something, though no idea what. I probably have a few pickups that would work and I still have to finish my Guitar Pickup Winder which is languishing on my desk.