Why become a member? ×

Cort Bass with stuck truss rod / spoke wheel

I picked up a used Cort GB75 today as I want to try out a 5 string - she plays nicely and is in very good condition. After bringing it home I've discovered that the truss rod isn't moving - the spoke wheel has a small amount of free play but won't budge any further in either direction. 

I've used a long handled screw driver which fits into the wheel perfectly - all my other basses have hex nuts, when I've encountered spoke wheels in the past they've needed little effort to turn.

Bass was shop bought and has a warranty, before I return it can anyone advise any thing else to try?

Local Shop?.. I'd be dropping back and letting them show you... I've never had a Wheel Truss Rod Adjust, but the idea and leverage would suggest a nice and easy feel adjust...warranty and all that.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I usually adjust the truss with the strings at tension. However in this case I would slacken off the strings and see if that helps get things moving. Maybe a small amount of WD40 may help things along. As you say you shouldnt have to apply much pressure for the truss to work. If you like the bass and the truss is the only thing wrong, it might be worth asking the shop to have a go at sorting the truss before getting a refund. Good luck. 👍

Posted (edited)

Thanks both. Bass is in otherwise as new condition (plastic wrap still on scratchplate, pups, and backing) all suggesting that it's seen very little use. I'd love to sort the issue myself but hesitate to tinker in-case I void said warranty. It looked like a fair deal at asking, but it's too much to splurge on a something with a potentially defective neck.

Said shop is a general pawn rather than music shop, I don't think they have a guitar tech onsite - will take it back today to see what they can do about it. 

Edited by daws0n
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Took bass back today for a no quibbles return after agreeing Truss rod was stuck.

Once refunded and back on the wall I asked them to contact me if they get it repaired or decide to drop the price - a phone call later the boss man agreed to 50% discount on a no return basis.

I figure it's worth that in parts so back home it came!

DSC_0613~2.JPG

Edited by daws0n
  • Like 5

So now would be the time to break out the WD40 or similar. Give it time to penetrate then see how it goes. If no joy then maybe some graphite loaded lubricant like the stuff recommended for high security door locks. Again allow time to penetrate.

Is it a bolt on neck ?

I'd be inclined to use a liquid penetrating oil rather than a spray one like WD-40, as it's so close to the fretboard. The humble 3 in 1 is a penetrating oil that may do the job, and if that fails, you could move up to PlusGas liquid. Ideally, take the neck off. Mask off the fretboard and, if you can, form a dam around the spoke wheel.

• Like 1

I'll second PlusGas, it's specifically designed to do the job. On cars I've had WD40 not release nuts after 24 hours soaking. Plus gas half hour normally and the jobs done.

Personally I'd get something like a thin screwdriver, spray some fluid in a jar and use the screwdriver as a dropper to get the fluid just where you want it.

• Like 2

Just catching up guys, I hadn't realised anyone had replied!

I remember your GB modern well gafbass02, was a lovely bass... One of the reasons I checked this one out!

I've tried turning the wheel strings loose to no avail, but I haven't used any kind of oils/lubes to get it moving yet. It's a bolt on neck, so makes life easier. I have some old fashioned 3 in 1 oil in the shed along with some GT85, I'll give it a try when the times comes - the the moment the relief measuring is OK at 0.40mm but I'll need to get it moving eventually no doubt!

Another thing I've noticed is low B is rather rattly on open string, at first I thought the nut must be cut too deep but looking at the string winding it looks to be a tad short for a 35" scale neck... It's starting to wind in before the nut, not by much but wondering if it's enough to cause issues?

S6300280.JPG

• Like 1