Why become a member? ×

Twenty frets...

13 hours ago, tauzero said:

I think it's computer generated text rather than the picture.

It is. A lot of people seem to want their sales description to look as lazy, stupid & generic as possible these days. Not sold anything on Ebay for a long time, I assume this is a built-in feature now, as it's so common.

Strongly suggests that no-one bothers reading descriptions!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyctes said:

I'm still not convinced by the pictures, personally.

I think that might be the last time I consider buying from eBay.

A sample of one from hundreds of millions of items isn't exactly representative.

Thought I'd test the theory using Bing's AI bollocks image generator. The prompt I used was the ad title, plus 'fretless' as that seemed important, even though the seller didn't appear to think so.

So - Warmoth Short Scale Fretless Bass Neck with a Blue Headstock.

This was the closest to the prompt - and honestly, the more you look at it, the better it gets.

OIG1.thumb.jpg.4e14758eedc2b54c75fa330a059cc377.jpg

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

That, Sir, is simply glorious. The disappearing D-string is a marvel to the eye.

D and E - it's a 3-string bass at the bridge and a 5-string (with no way of tuning the A string) at the nut.

And the seller has 806 items for sale, the images for the item in the OP have really good detail, and there seems no reason whatsoever to generate an image of a fretless neck using AI.

4 minutes ago, tauzero said:

And the seller has 806 items for sale, the images for the item in the OP have really good detail, and there seems no reason whatsoever to generate an image of a fretless neck using AI.

Maybe I've missed something, but I thought the AI image was generated by @Bassassin rather than the eBay vendor

Edited by Happy Jack

30 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Maybe I've missed something, but I thought the AI image was generated by @Bassassin rather than the eBay vendor

The original post (OP) was @alyctes speculating that the image in an Ebay auction was AI generated, and it was that image I was referring to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

The original post (OP) was @alyctes speculating that the image in an Ebay auction was AI generated, and it was that image I was referring to.

Gotcha ... but I was talking about Bassassin's image. Could this possibly be a case of ... wait for it ... wait for it ... crossed wires?

I'll get my coat.

eBay offers to generate ai descriptions for you know iirc.

AI generated instruments are interesting indeed. But consider they are probably better than most non-players could draw from memory.

Same string count/tuner issue as above, but I figured the audience won't notice.

PullupSmall.thumb.jpg.52e5ea992c4608b3d32332341bab49bc.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

eBay offers to generate ai descriptions for you know iirc.

AI generated instruments are interesting indeed. But consider they are probably better than most non-players could draw from memory.

Same string count/tuner issue as above, but I figured the audience won't notice.

PullupSmall.thumb.jpg.52e5ea992c4608b3d32332341bab49bc.jpg

It'd take 30 seconds in Photoshop (or your image editing app of choice, obvs) to remove the rogue tuner & errant string over the scratchplate, then NO-ONE WOULD EVER KNOW!!! :D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bassassin said:

It'd take 30 seconds in Photoshop (or your image editing app of choice, obvs) to remove the rogue tuner & errant string over the scratchplate, then NO-ONE WOULD EVER KNOW!!! :D

No-one's ever noticed!

I've been using my Affinity skills elsewhere:

452078031_122176806584077010_3948534448628588314_n.jpg

On 20/07/2024 at 16:45, Happy Jack said:

Gotcha ... but I was talking about Bassassin's image. Could this possibly be a case of ... wait for it ... wait for it ... crossed wires?

I'll get my coat.

Don't fret about it.

Generative AI is fabulous.

Considering the algorithm has absolutely no understanding at all of what any of the terms mean, and just moves dots around until it makes something that matches images it has previously been trained that the words represent.

Considering this is the free version, the full fat versions used for pharmaceutical molecule generation and the like must be awesome. 

Edited by Richard R

AI can be good for somethings, certainly to assist in pattern matching.

However, for eBay listing descriptions it just produces a load of meaningless twaddle (WTF is "With 20 medium jumbo frets"???).