Why become a member? ×

Fanny

Anyone else never heard of this band from the 70's? Can't imagine why they never gained a higher profile, some very talented ladies .... I'm looking forward to doing some more research although a google search might reveal some dubious results given the name!!

Enjoy

• Like 10

Great band! Loved the BBC documentary....👍

They were a lot hairier in the 70's though....

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Fantastic band.  Hugely under rated.  Championed by no less an authority than one Mr D. Bowie: "One of the most important female bands in American rock has been buried without a trace. And that is Fanny."  Check out their performance of 'Ain't That Peculiar' from the same Beat Club session.  Superb playing and musicianship, and harmonies to die for:

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think the name sadly/probably consigned them to the sniggers bin, as from what I`ve heard from them they were pretty good. 

It doesn't mean the same thing in the US

I caught the rockumentary 'Fanny: The Right to Rock' on Sky Arts a year or so ago and being married to a Filipina (bragging) it really captured our attention.

They were really good, and as well as Bowie, Joe Elliott of Def Leppard was a big fan. Jean Millington on bass was a decent player and singer (at the same time).

They did a new album, Fanny Walked The Earth in 2018 (thanks Google) and were planning a tour but June Millington (guitar) had a really bad health scare and I think it was shelved.

As others have said, a great early 70's vibe. They deserved greater success than they achieved.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, andyonbass said:

Anyone else never heard of this band from the 70's? Can't imagine why they never gained a higher profile, some very talented ladies .... I'm looking forward to doing some more research although a google search might reveal some dubious results given the name!!

Enjoy

... and she's playing a Camco kit, just like mine (except that mine's clear maple finish...)..! Good taste in drums, at least..! B|

aj0L3QC.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

And being named after one's rear end instead helps in this regard, how?

It's considered a polite term, not the snigger inducing thing that it is over here.

So its an amusing choice but much more innocuous than our interpretation. 

I saw them in Stretford 1972..with Thin Lizzy - who I think were the support act.   God I'm old.  My main memory is that the kb player had one of those Leslie cabinets with its spinning horns - magic.  I'm easily pleased. 

• Like 2

Old Fart Alert.

Jeepers. A blast from the past. I recall going to see Fanny supporting Jethro Tull in Edinburgh. 1974 or so. Before promenading to the Usher Hall (I think), we smoked a LOT of interesting cigarettes, as was our custom.

It seemed to take about FIVE DAYS to wend our way through the streets of Auld Reekie to the venue. What a night. Both bands were in their pomp, and played their hearts out. The Millington sisters had the crowd eating out of their hands. If you were there, YMMV.

• Like 3