Why become a member? ×

68 Fender Jazz for £750?

There’s a couple in Shetland Isles, off Scotland, selling a 1968 Fender Jazz for £750 on Facebook marketplace. I’ve communicated with them and they seem decent people, but my bank won’t release the funds because they are concerned it’s a scam.

Maybe one of my bass buddies live close enough to pop over there and bag themselves a bargain?

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0153.png

IMG_0158.png

IMG_0157.png

IMG_0156.png

IMG_0155.png

IMG_0154.png

Shetland Isles are well known for their sunny non humid weather, that's certainly why this bass has almost no sign of rust.

The pictures look like they have been taken in a place like Italy, check the one with the Ferrari logo in reflection on the pickup cover and there's so much sun and heat that the door is opened, which is also a well known fact that they have their doors opened all day long in the Shetland Isles to let the heat and sun in...

You certainly can thank your bank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Trevthebassman said:

I told them I could be coming over with cash next week, and asking their address. Suddenly the bass was being sold to someone else 😂

That's the key moment in the story!

• Like 2

This is the oldest scam in the book.

I remember seeing one like this advertised in Pembrokeshire and I just happened to be in Pembrokeshire on holiday. They then told me it was in Jersey.

It's 100% a scam. I'm really impressed your bank would refuse to send the money. 

Just now, Burns-bass said:

This is the oldest scam in the book.

I remember seeing one like this advertised in Pembrokeshire and I just happened to be in Pembrokeshire on holiday. They then told me it was in Jersey.

It's 100% a scam. I'm really impressed your bank would refuse to send the money. 

Then you tell them your relative in Jersey will collect it and the location will change again!

• Like 1

Doesn't it seem strange they are not showing in the reflection of the chrome?

Who took the pictures then?

They did obviously, but also it is quite obvious that they are in fact vampires, trying to lure in victims to bloodlet.

On a more serious note, that looks an awful lot like artificial relicing there, it doesn't match with the condition of the rest of the bass and finish. 

In other words, it's a scam!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

7 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

Well done to your bank!

I agree 100%. When things go wrong banks often get it in the neck. 

My dad isn’t the most technologically literate person but his bank has been great in protecting him from fraud. 

1 hour ago, jonno1981 said:

A video call goes a long way to seeing if they have the actual item! If they can turn it around, talk about the history etc. Only takes a second to set something up. 

Agree with this!

Even the response by the seller to such a proposal would speak volumes about whether it is legit. If you get no response, or “I’m too busy”, or “I have another buyer just about to close a deal” etc, you know pretty much what’s going on.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2024 at 08:40, Trevthebassman said:

There’s a couple in Shetland Isles, off Scotland, selling a 1968 Fender Jazz for £750 on Facebook marketplace. I’ve communicated with them and they seem decent people, but my bank won’t release the funds because they are concerned it’s a scam.

Maybe one of my bass buddies live close enough to pop over there and bag themselves a bargain?

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0153.png

IMG_0158.png

IMG_0157.png

IMG_0156.png

IMG_0155.png

IMG_0154.png

Tell him you're in Wick,  and can you pop over to try it.

I caught out a Martin D45 scam, for sale at £950 in Hatfield. Asked to try it out,but was told guitar actually with relations in Kirkwall. No worries, I said, I'm in Aberdeen and can get next ferry over. Silence. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Image search on Google is your friend ...

Yep, first thing to do when it's too good to be true as it's better to be virtually disappointed than really crooked.

• Like 1