Why become a member? ×

Jason Newsted selling off basses!

Whether he's skint or not we will probably never know. If you have money, especially if you have lots,  the whole world is conspiring to find a way to take it off you one way or another. That's why so many successful people end up broke. Judging by the esoteric nature of a lot of what he's selling though, my gut instinct is that he's just getting rid of stuff to declutter etc.

Black album-era Metallica was pretty iconic in the rock bass genre. Jason is a very smart player with an admirable taste in basses. But as people get older they can feel burdened by their possessions more than they enjoy owning things they aren't actually going to use anymore. Maybe Jason is just getting rid of stuff that he just doesn't find useful, appealing or really want anymore. Like a 10 string Alembic that weighs a ton, a double neck Rick ect ect. A lot of the stuff is pretty niche. He's giving someone else the opportunity to find out how useless it is.

I haven't seen the complete list of what he is selling, but I hope he is keeping his best stuff though. Like the '81 Spector ect. Last I heard he was putting together a classic heavy rock-style band, and he might need some tasty black basses to do the job. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Whether he's skint or not we will probably never know.

He said recently that he doesn't need the Black Album to sell any more, that he was mostly "frugal" with his money, that Metallica already had good advisors before he joined. Assuming my mental arithmetic was working as I looked at Wikipedia, the albums he played on sold 37m copies in the US alone, and he played 950 gigs with them. I don't think he's reduced to living on beans on toast.

The list of equipment for his insurance cover must be pages long. 

There must come a point when you realise that you're paying a lot of money for a bunch of stuff you don't need or really want. 

52 minutes ago, TimR said:

There must come a point when you realise that you're paying a lot of money for a bunch of stuff you don't need or really want. 

Who would find themselves in such a situation?

On 22/07/2024 at 06:55, TimR said:

Having watched the video on Reverb's YT channel that's pretty much what he's said, that he's accumulated a load of interesting instruments that are just sat in storage rather than being played. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but his royalties from Metallica haven't dried up so I doubt he needs the money, and he seems to be a pretty honest bloke so maybe he is mostly being altruistic. I wonder how many will end up in the hands of players though and how many will end up hanging on the walls of hedge fund managers.

10 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Having watched the video on Reverb's YT channel that's pretty much what he's said, that he's accumulated a load of interesting instruments that are just sat in storage rather than being played. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but his royalties from Metallica haven't dried up so I doubt he needs the money, and he seems to be a pretty honest bloke so maybe he is mostly being altruistic. I wonder how many will end up in the hands of players though and how many will end up hanging on the walls of hedge fund managers.

Unfortunately I think by far most of these basses will end up as collector items, rather than players.

It's unavoidable with the former Metalica bassist tag they have attached, beside the fact that most of them already being relatively rare items, despite that it does seem James is hoping they will end up with someone actually needing them and come into practical use, which, as far as I understand him from that video, is partially one of the reasons he is selling them off in the first place.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I wonder if any of his custom Spectors are going to be in the sale? I really liked that different body shape, and I've never seen one in person. 

image.png.a4160abfdadb7bc623c0240da02362d3.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cetera said:

Yep, the 5 string and 6 string Spector JN models are both in the sale on reverb now. Big prices though....

Holy crapulence. $24k for the sixer. 😮 And someone bought it too... 

• Like 1