Why become a member? ×

Nut wear?

I have a 1986 Westone Thunder III-A bass. Mine from new and originally set up by The Bass Centre in London. They did a couple of setups over the early years and then I learned how to do setups myself. Recently I feel that the D and G strings are starting to buzz a little. I've tweaked the truss rod a half turn to give a bit more relief but the buzz is still there. The Thunder III-As had graphite nuts and when I look at the nut the D and G look like they're sitting a little low. So, my question is this - do nuts wear out over the years?

Yes, thanks for the reply. I've used Elite Stadium 40-100 for years. That's what The Bass Centre fitted and I just kept it the same so I don't think its string related. But thanks anyway.

When you're setting the relief, do you do a visual check on the E string side only? Have you checked the relief is the same on both sides along the full length of the E and G strings?

Edited by Doctor J

I assume the "graphite" nut is made of powdered graphite in some matrix - some sort of epoxy resin perhaps?  If that's right, then the matrix might deteriorate with age.

The depth of the nut slots only matters for the open strings, as soon as you fret the strings the nut becomes redundant.

If this wasn't true basses that utilizes a 0 fret would buzz all over, which isn't actually the case.

Are you talking about the open D and G string buzzing?

If this is the case it is perfectly possible that the nut slots has been worn slightly too low over time.

As suggested by others though it could also be a sign that the neck has warped/twisted.

But if this was the case this would be likely also to affect the fretted notes and not just the open strings.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, bbrich said:

It just affects the fretted notes from the 5th fret upwards. I'm going to restring it and perform a fresh setup and go from there.

When you say upwards do you mean fret 5 to fret 17, 18, etc or frets 5 down to the nut?

If it's 5 down to the nut, you don't have enough relief in the neck. Again, check the relief on both sides. If the E string is ok but the G string is not, you may have a slight warping in the neck which a setup won't resolve.

Hold the string down at the first fret and last fret and see if the neck forms a continuous gentle arc with the greatest distance from the string at about fret 8-9. Do this on both sides of the neck, the E and G strings, and see how they compare.

So, as promised, I decided to strip the bass down, give it a good clean, re-string and reset action, intonation and pickup height. Problem solved. When I was gigging I would fit new strings for every show but since 2019 I haven't been in a line-up so hadn't changed the strings. They were really worn at the fret contact point and I can only assume that's where the buzz came from. I also took the opportunity to polish the frets using one of my wife's nail shaping and buffing blocks and some carefully applied masking tape. That's worked as well. Thanks for all your responses.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2024 at 22:48, Jason Karloff said:

I would change your underwear. 

i was here initially for the low ball nut jokes ...but the problem is a bit like neck curvature, you need to be able to pull the string down on the first fret fretted at the second but only just like a razors width, if it's not doing that then you might need a new nut or at least something under the string at the nut to raise it a tad. Of course nuts can wear, every time you tune up it's gets worn albeit very slightly. 

Edited by Musicman666

7 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

i was here initially for the low ball nut jokes ...but the problem is a bit like neck curvature, you need to be able to pull the string down on the first fret fretted at the second but only just like a razors width, if it's not doing that then you might need a new nut or at least something under the string at the nut to raise it a tad.

You mean a shim under the nut.

However, as I, and since several others, previously pointed out in this thread, if there is buzz on fretted notes that is not a nut issues.

In any case all that doesn't really matter, as the issue OP had have been solved.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

9 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

You mean a shim under the nut.

However, as I, and since several others, previously pointed out in this thread, if there is buzz on fretted notes that is not a nut issues.

In any case all that doesn't really matter, as the issue OP had have been solved.

.. ok.

Edited by Musicman666