Why become a member? ×

Sterling Stingray Ray34 string gauge

BassAdder60

Any owners of the Ray34 advise which strings they are using ? 

The spec says EB Slinky 45-100 ? 

Would 45-105 or 50-105 be a good choice perhaps ? 

Unlike my older Ray34 with stock strings the G isn’t noticeably weak !

Only looking at Nickel Plated Rounds 

I favour 45-100 anyway,  but was pleased when my Bongo turned up wearing 32-45-65-80-100-130.

Perfect. 

As you can tell,  it's generally my gauge of choice, but fewer manufacturers do the "jybrid" gauge. Most have moved to 45-65-85-105.

1 hour ago, Munurmunuh said:

How many of BA60's threads have you added unpleasantly unhelpful posts to?

The answer is too short, yes. But to be honest, if there are no trials of different gauges (and materials, and string height, and...), how can the op be sure of what is really functional? I have put quite a lot of money to different string sets just to find optimal sets for my basses: flats, 30-90, BEAD, CFBbEbAb, halfrounds and so on.

At the moment I love SS 40-95 (-120) sets on most of my basses, but it does not work everywhere. I like PSD (piano string design), but they are not as common as basic RWs. If I need to change between PSD and ordinary strings, the bridge has to be adjusted for obvious reasons. My strings have a lifetime of around 4-6 months in a bass (exception: DB). Your preferences surely vary from mine.

Every suggestion here is subjective. Therefore it is very feasible to suggest trials, too, and find and make personal choices. I wish there was just "one and only" solution for everybody. 45-105 is a good start, but just a start.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Munurmunuh said:

How many of BA60's threads have you added unpleasantly unhelpful posts to? I lost count years ago. It's pretty repulsive to behold. Take a look at yourself.

I’m glad others have noticed this !!!

Edited by BassAdder60

11 hours ago, Munurmunuh said:

How many of BA60's threads have you added unpleasantly unhelpful posts to? I lost count years ago. It's pretty repulsive to behold. Take a look at yourself.

Can you show me an example? Worrying that I have a stalker. 

I’m following this with interest having been a regular recipient of this persons comments !!! 😂

41 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Can you show me an example? Worrying that I have a stalker. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Indeed we have

I’ve added this “member” to the IGNORE list option on here !! 
Shame there isn’t a “ BLOCK” option 😂👍

Edited by BassAdder60

What are you looking for that makes you contemplate changing the gauge?

What do you want your strings to do differently than the ones it came with?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

What are you looking for that makes you contemplate changing the gauge?

What do you want your strings to do differently than the ones it came with?

Good questions !

In fact it’s the fact that the stock Ernie Ball 45/100 sound so good and I thought it would have 45-105 fitted !

Just curious what other Ray34 users were using so not unhappy although I’ve read EB strings lose their zing quickly ? 

• Like 1

I’ve found that I “kill” EB strings very quickly, which is incredibly annoying as I find them great to play. But I’ve read others saying they last them ages so maybe it’s a body chemistry thing.

• Like 1

EB string are the only brand I used to break so I haven't owned any since the late 90s. I was using the pink packaged super slinky's O think.

After some years of searching I've now landed on DR strings and haven't had a set disappoint me. 

If I were in your position I'd play the current strings to end of life to see how long they last you. Everyone has different amounts and composition of skin grease on the fingers, some more acidic than others and this will make a big difference.

• Like 2

If you lose that zing easily, wash your hands thoroughly before playing. Sweat, skin, dirt, tension... these all make the zing die. Life of a string is anything from 3 hours (M. Miller, M. King) to months (myself, 4-6) to years (J. Jamerson).

(And if you want to keep the neck in shape, do not loosen strings in between playing sessions. That's not a solution.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve found that I “kill” EB strings very quickly, which is incredibly annoying as I find them great to play. But I’ve read others saying they last them ages so maybe it’s a body chemistry thing.

Same here, I suspect my body chemistry. EB Slinky's sound great for about a week and then die very quickly, and not in a pleasant way. It's not just about losing the zing, they sound genuinely awful. D'Addario nickels on the other hand still lose the zing in about the same time, but take on a lovely mellow roundwound tone that can serve me nicely for months.

Oh, and I vote for 45-100, I find it more balanced than 45-105.

Edited by RichT