Why become a member? ×

Covers Bands......How long is yours???

rory

On 22/07/2024 at 20:05, ezbass said:

on the club circuit, seems to be the norm for us.

It is/was down south on the club circuit too.

45 mins - Bingo - 45 mins - fish and chips - 1 hour.

23 hours ago, neepheid said:

I was bullied at school, and despite coming along in leaps and bounds in the intervening years, there will always be times where I read something and take it that way.

Is that explanation sufficient for you?

Having been bullied myself, I understand, but we all have to be careful first reactions don't just pass on the pain. I sometimes post before I think.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Having been bullied myself, I understand, but we all have to be careful first reactions don't just pass on the pain. I sometimes post before I think.

I appreciate that.  Sometimes a thread on here will take on something of an authoritarian tone - you know, the finger wagging "you're doing it wrong" kind of tone and it really winds me up.  People expressing opinions as fact, pretty standard.  I'll try harder to let it wash over me in future - there probably are more important hills to die on.

• Like 1

When I played on the club circuit, it was strictly 2x45, with the ents sec standing in the wings calling 'last song' in the first half. At the end of the second half, we might be allowed 'one more song' but only after the sec had come on stage to allow it! Once or twice we were asked to play longer but as it was a contracted gig, they would offer more money, too. 

For pubs we usually ask the landlord/lady and more often than not it's around 45-50 for the first set and 50-60 for the second, with encores if requested (and with the nod of the boss). We have about 2.5hrs of material on hand, just in case, and can busk through a bit more if necessary, but it's very much b=venue driven.

With the Hulla band, it's usually 2hrs or thereabouts although our self organised festival tends to go on a bit as the singer is a Springsteen fan and tends to get a bit carried away. 🙂

• Like 1

On 22/07/2024 at 17:06, T-Bay said:

For example I have never seen a gig that lasted 7 minutes but I can imagine there may well have been one somewhere at some point.

Seven minutes is by no means the shortest! Back in '73 a classic jazz/comedy band I was with (the White Hot Air Men!) were setting up in the Half Moon pub in Putney for a rehearsal when Bob Kerr (of the Whoopee Band) rushed in and said he needed a band at Heathrow instantly for a paid job. We piled into a couple of cars and followed him flat out to the top floor of a multi-storey car park at the airport,  all pretty much in the dark as to why; there was a very small piece of dingy carpet on the floor to make things even more mysterious. Bob told us to start playing 'there's no business like show business' as soon as the lift doors opened, which they did soon after. An American lady singist trio  emerged with their minders, we launched into the number, they fell about laughing in surprise, the band all got a kiss and they were then hustled away into waiting limos. 

Total playing time 60 seconds, for which we got £10 each, pretty good for '73. Apparently this was all about a wager someone had made with the trio saying that the Brits were sure to welcome them by rolling out the red carpet and a brass band... I wish I knew who the trio were - could it have been the Supremes? 

Anyone had a shorter gig than that? For your amusement, a pic of the band at the Half Moon is attached - I'm the buffoon with the ludicrous beard and alto sax on the left...

White_hot_air_men_putney.jpg

Edited by Gasman
Spelling, of course!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5