Why become a member? ×

Why can't I see my listed item in "Accessories & Other Musically Related Items For Sale"?

thebrig

Question

I've had an item listed in "Accessories & Other Musically Related Items For Sale" for a few months now, and more often than not, it's not showing when I scroll through the pages.

The only way I can find it is if I do a search in that particular forum.

I've tried other devices and browsers and still can't see it listed on those either.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks

If you read a topic it doesn't show up in 'unread content' until there's a new post, even if it's one of your own threads. Not sure if that's the problem or if it's something that can be changed in settings 

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

If you read a topic it doesn't show up in 'unread content' until there's a new post, even if it's one of your own threads. Not sure if that's the problem or if it's something that can be changed in settings 

I don't think that is the case with this because sometimes I scroll through the pages and I can see it, but quite often it's nowhere to be seen.

No-one has made any comments on the item, so the status should be the same every time I look for it.

At this very moment, I can't find it, I've gone as far as page twelve, but I only "bumped" it a couple of days ago, so it should only be on page four or five at most I would have thought?

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I can see the ad when I scroll through that section of the Forum, on page 21 (April 25, sorted by Last Updated...) on my PC, using Chrome. :friends:

Yes, I've just skipped to page 21 and I can see it, but I'm "bumping" it very couple of days, so it should be showing before page four or five I would have thought?

After I "bump" it, I can see it at the top pf page one, but after a day or two, it disappears.

If others can't see it until page 21, then could there be a problem with the "bumping" system?

3 minutes ago, thebrig said:

After I "bump" it, I can see it at the top pf page one, but after a day or two, it disappears.

If others can't see it until page 21, then could there be a problem with the "bumping" system?

I think that ads just go down further as new ads, or 'bumped' ads, arrive, in a 'FILO' pile sort of way (First In, Last Out...). Try 'bumping' every week or so, maybe..?

I wonder if this is down to the recent change which means we can only scroll through pages by using next, there is no shortcut to page 2, 3, 4 etc.. visible

I have commented on the post being discussed so now it is at the top..

44 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I wonder if this is down to the recent change which means we can only scroll through pages by using next, there is no shortcut to page 2, 3, 4 etc.. visible

I presume that you're viewing on a 'phone of some sort..? On my PC, there is no 'Next', but a list of pages, with a 'Jump to Page xxx' box. B|

47 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

It's now showing on my MacBook Pro and all other devices because you made a comment, so does that mean it only shows briefly after I bump it, and then disappears into obscurity after a day or two if no one makes a comment?

I'm confused!🤔

7 minutes ago, thebrig said:

It's now showing on my MacBook Pro and all other devices because you made a comment, so does that mean it only shows briefly after I bump it, and then disappears into obscurity after a day or two if no one makes a comment?

I'm confused!🤔

I can't see any 'Bump' posts between the original ad and the comment added by Aidan. What do you mean by 'Bump'..? Do you add a comment, usually, or simply edit the ad itself..? :/

Edited by Dad3353

52 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I can't see any 'Bump' posts between the original ad and the comment added by Aidan. What do you mean by 'Bump'..? Do you add a comment, usually, or simply edit the ad itself..? :/

I just click on "bump this topic" every couple of days, are you saying that if I don't comment at the same time, then nobody will see it on the first pages again?

13 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I just click on "bump this topic" every couple of days, are you saying that if I don't comment at the same time, then nobody will see it on the first pages again?

I can't say, as I have never sold anything on BC, but I've 'reported' your following post, so that a Mod or Admin's attention will be drawn to it. Hope it helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

I'm a little confused about what the question is, but I think there is confusion about how bumping works.

Bumping will move your post to the first page, as if a post was made, but a post isn't made, and the last activity still shows as the last post.  However, naturally it will drop again as other members bump and post, and sometimes things do move fast.

So no, you don't and shouldn't post as well as use the bump feature, everything seems to be working fine but if I'm misunderstanding the question, let me know.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Could a Mod please clarify that when you bump a for sale listing, do we also need to comment to get it seen on page one again?

If you bump it, it goes to the top with nothing else, that is its only point.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If you bump it, it goes to the top with nothing else, that is its only point.

Yes that's what I've always thought, and what always done.

My question is:

Why can't I find my posts after a couple of days, they are disappearing on all devices and browsers, the only way I can find it when I want to bump it, is to search for it, and Dad3353 could only find it on page 21, why is that if I am bumping it every couple of days?

7 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Yes that's what I've always thought, and what always done.

My question is:

Why can't I find my posts after a couple of days, they are disappearing on all devices and browsers, the only way I can find it when I want to bump it, is to search for it, and Dad3353 could only find it on page 21, why is that if I am bumping it every couple of days?

Because other people are bumping and posting in theirs.

If you have a specific example, link it in here before bumping it next time so we can make sure it appears as expected 

8 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I have no idea, I haven't looked at your item. My ibanez that I bumped a few days ago is on page 5, which would seem reasonable. I looked on page 21 of that forum, I don't see anything by you, or page 20/22 but it would be odd if it was that far back, everything there is all sold. without knowing what your items is or any other details I can't really say much more but it doesn't seem to be like what i am seeing here

Just now, Kev said:

Because other people are bumping and posting in theirs.

If you have a specific example, link it in here before bumping it next time so we can make sure it appears as expected 

I don't understand why other people bumping theirs would affect my listing, as I said, after I bump it, it appears on page one immediately, and I know that it will gradually go down the listings as more people bump and list new items for sale, but what I'm saying is that my listing is disappearing completely after a couple of days, I've scrolled through every page as far as page 20 and I can't see it, so even allowing for other peoples new ads and bumps, surely there is no way my listing is ever going to be much further down than page 4 or 5 after just a couple of days.

4 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I don't understand why other people bumping theirs would affect my listing, as I said, after I bump it, it appears on page one immediately, and I know that it will gradually go down the listings as more people bump and list new items for sale, but what I'm saying is that my listing is disappearing completely after a couple of days, I've scrolled through every page as far as page 20 and I can't see it, so even allowing for other peoples new ads and bumps, surely there is no way my listing is ever going to be much further down than page 4 or 5 after just a couple of days.

Oh I realise what you're saying, but there's absolutely nothing we can do about it until we have an example to work with.  If you could drop a link to it next time before bumping, we'll see if we can see it and make sure it's position makes sense.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have no idea, I haven't looked at your item. My ibanez that I bumped a few days ago is on page 5, which would seem reasonable. I looked on page 21 of that forum, I don't see anything by you, or page 20/22 but it would be odd if it was that far back, everything there is all sold. without knowing what your items is or any other details I can't really say much more but it doesn't seem to be like what i am seeing here

I think that what you have just said just confirms to me that something is not quite right, earlier today I couldn't find my listing, admittedly, I only searched the pages as far as page 12 because I only bumped it a couple of days ago, it was only when Dad3353 informed me that he found it on page 21, I immediately went to page 21, and sure enough, there it was, so both Dad and me saw it, but now it's nowhere to be seen on page 21, I even tried pages 22 through to 30 just in case its moved.

So where has it gone from page 21?

Edited by thebrig

Can I ask people not to comment on my listing for the next couple of days so that when it's time to bump it, it should be around four or five, if it's nowhere to be seen, I will take a screenshot of every page I look at to show exactly what I mean.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, thebrig said:

That's the one.👍

Ah, now that give me a thought.

@Woodinblackprior to today, that post did not have any activity since April.  Does the Bump functionality only temporarily make the listing rise for 36 hours, after which it drops back to whatever position it should be based on last activity date?  As that would explain what's happening with this one.