Why become a member? ×

What gear to get for a Behringer Europower PMX 2000

We have a practice room and and need a bit more power for the vocals. Got hold of a Europower (2x250 watt) mixer and an active monitor (The Box MA 100).

I would like some more balls and power from the system, do you guys recommend larger (active/passive?) monitors or a sub?

Newbie into the world of PA

28 minutes ago, isteen said:

We have a practice room and and need a bit more power for the vocals...

I suppose that it's a non-starter to ask why the vocals need more, rather than turning down everything else..? :/

Sounds like you have a powered mixer with no speakers and a small powered monitor.

Why not just get hold of some passive speakers for the powered mixer and dispense

with the monitor? Hefty passive speakers are going for not much on the s/h market these

days as people change to active ones. Look for some Peavey HiSys 2 cabs or something

similar, should more than do the job. 

I am surprised you haven't blown up your active monitor on the first try.

Your B'ringer amp needs passive speakers. You can get hell loud vocals with a big enough set of cabinets.

Mind you never plug the speaker outputs of your active mixer into anything, would be a good start on not blowing anything to hell.

Two amplifiers pushing the same speaker only makes for silence and smoke.

If you're just putting vocals through the system, a sub will do nothing for you. They're meant to reproduce frequencies lower than you'd want to hear from a vocal mic. 

The powered monitor you have isn't a particularly loud or punchy one. If you're trying to get vocals heard across the room, a couple of passive speakers on stands driven by your Behringer will do a better job, but those Behringer units aren't exactly super powerful amplifiers either. 

In addition to adding some speakers, I'd also look at reducing the volume of the backline in the room. Bands that are struggling with vocal levels in the practice room are usually playing too loud. I always found rehearsals improved significantly when everyone dropped their volume down. You can hear with more clarity, your ears get less fatigued (and less likely to be damaged!), and you're more likely to pick up on details in the arrangement and performance than if everyone is thrashing away at full belt. 

If it's your own practice room, I'd also look at some sort of acoustic treatment. Cleaning up the sound of the room will do wonders for clarity in a small space. Heavy drapes hung on the walls to dampen reflections would be a good place to start. 

• Thanks 1

What's the band line-up..? What amps do the guitars use..? E-drums or acoustic; enthusiastic shed-builder or sensitive musician on drums..? These are the key issues which dictate the PA needs for rehearsing. Is ear protection being used (and if so, why..?). Could in-ear monitoring be part of the solution (not necessarily wireless; it can work well with cabled iem, too...). :friends:

• Like 1