Why become a member? ×

10 mins of Jazz bass magic.

I'll never understand how these musicians, with all of their talents, so admired, can bear this stuff with its incessant 'big beat' thump thump thump rendering it unlistenable. It could be heavenly choirs of angles, or Gabriel himself playing the best bass lines ever, but it's nauseous with that infernal beat being drummed into our skulls. No, I didn't leave it to play through; I skipped along, sampling. The few seconds of respite only served as contrast when the concrete-busting power drill started up again. I'm obviously not consuming the right cocktails for this stuff. I keep trying, thinking that, maybe, one day, something I'm able to listen to, or even enjoy and learn from, will come up; it's not for this time. I did try, though. :(

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'll never understand how these musicians, with all of their talents, so admired, can bear this stuff with its incessant 'big beat' thump thump thump rendering it unlistenable. It could be heavenly choirs of angles, or Gabriel himself playing the best bass lines ever, but it's nauseous with that infernal beat being drummed into our skulls. No, I didn't leave it to play through; I skipped along, sampling. The few seconds of respite only served as contrast when the concrete-busting power drill started up again. I'm obviously not consuming the right cocktails for this stuff. I keep trying, thinking that, maybe, one day, something I'm able to listen to, or even enjoy and learn from, will come up; it's not for this time. I did try, though. :(

Here you go Dad. . No beat, sit back put on a brew. Have a Werthers. Im kidding of course. My father is a classical musician, a pianist and he doesn't like that sort of beat either..   But as long as its a physical interaction between human an instrument im always there. Listen to the bass playing Dad. No thump thump. Its fabulous playing  from both of these guys.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

... It's fabulous playing  from both of these guys...

Better, much better. An odd choice of timbre, but it works, in this context. Borderline soporific, but, 'Yes, they can certainly play'. I enjoyed it, and learned something, so 'Thanks'.:hi:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Better, much better. An odd choice of timbre, but it works, in this context. Borderline soporific, but, 'Yes, they can certainly play'. I enjoyed it, and learned something, so 'Thanks'.:hi:

Timbre.? His tone.? I suggest hes rolled on the neck pickup. Yes its very laid back. A good live drummer would be the solution. 

8 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Funky house music from Louis Benedetti with the dopest groove bass player on the planet imo and its what a jazz bass should sound like. His name is Gene Perez.

Love that, great beat and great playing 

• Like 1

I think he’s an amazing player but - and this is all on me, it’s not meant to be a personal attack on the guy in any way - but the jazz bass bridge pickup tone has always been too nasal for me to listen to for very long. I lasted about  90 seconds into that first tune before bailing out. It sounds like ‘pages from Ceefax’ background TV music from the early 1990’s or something.

Like Dad, drums (well, percussion mainly) are my main instrument. But unlike Dad I absolutely love house music and repetitive beats. Or even just repetition (disco 12”s, dancehall, Velvet Underground, Steve Reich, etc). But that kind of mix of jazz fusion and musak - fusak? - goes straight past me, regardless of how great the players are.

The trio recording was more to my taste though, and I liked his muting technique, super clean, and perfect for that setting. Thank you for sharing that 🙏 I just wish someone would rip the bridge pickup off his bass 😂 

Edited by meterman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Funky house music from Louis Benedetti with the dopest groove bass player on the planet imo and its what a jazz bass should sound like. His name is Gene Perez.

"Please continue to wait - your call is important to us."

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Haha 4

Around 85-86 a lot of jazzers thght they'd have a go at being current with the crowd so they stated cranking the snare drum.. the very worse case was a Chick Corea album I bought where the snare dominated in the most awful way (that album disappered from view and Ive never heard it played since)  and thats exactly what we have here. Loud snares... so irritating.

Edited by diskwave

I want my money back. The bass doesn't come in until almost 30 seconds through the piece so there's a maximum of only nine and a half minutes (I haven't listened all the way through to see if there are any places where it drops out).

I've been a fan of Gene Perez's bass playing since I first heard  MAW/NuYorican Soul back in 1997. He's the master of this style of bass playing. I love the fact that he's not afraid to play in an aggressive and busy style despite the current orthodoxy that less is more ect.

Thing is, hearing this style of music always reminds me of shopping for clothes in trendy boutiques back in the 1990's. I keep expecting some obtuse sales assistant wearing a beret and ripped jeans to sidle up to me and ask if I want to try anything on. I usually just look at the prices and then ask for directions to the nearest branch of Millets.

Like Dad, generally speaking I'm not really a fan of music with the thumping big beat- reminds me of trying to get to sleep while the bastard students next door are pretending to be Pete Tong-but I take everything on it's own merits. If it sounds good then fair enough.

• Like 1