Why become a member? ×

NAD: Fender Bassman TV 12

uk_lefty

I had seen a few of these lovely little tweed reissues come up and started to investigate. Completely wrong, because I'm trying to reduce gear drastically and raise cash for my upcoming house move but I have no self control. 

I've had the amp for less than a week and it got two gigs this weekend. My usual rig is an Ashdown ABM600 with two fifteen inch cans but I fancied something more portable and with a distinct character. 

The TV twelve is an ok one hand lift at 20kg though more modern 12" combos will probably be half the weight. The tweed is a bit worn in and has dulled a bit and got some patches of light wear but is in good condition as is the brown speaker cloth.

There are two things I love about this amp: the gain dial, I generally crank it most of the way up which gives a gorgeous, round and full woollyness to the sound, proper valve preamp. It's great with my jazz bass and stingray but comes into it's own with the P bass. The other thing is the volume control. At four or less it's comfortable home practice levels. Above that it's gig levels. Last night on an outdoor stage I had the amp at seven (out of twelve) and could hear it beautifully on stage, even with a full drum kit and stage monitoring. I ran the amp at lower levels the night before for a private party in a small room with electronic drums and a sub for the PA, again really good projection.

So, this doesn't replace the ABM but I got a bit sick of going to festivals and having to use some really awful provided bass amps, where there isn't switch around time to bring out the ABM rig I can just bring the TV twelve and everything is fine. 

It's really got its own character, and sounds as good as it looks. They aren't cheap second hand but they really are a great little noise box.

PXL_20240720_183921687.jpg

• Like 14