Why become a member? ×

MM Stingray query

Just a quick question about Stingray basses. There seems to be so many different versions.

Is there a MM Stingray bass with a narrow slim neck.

The only i've tried was when they first appeared and it had a very wide P type neck that i didn't like.

I love the tone of MM but that thick neck has always put me off them.

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just a quick question about Stingray basses. There seems to be so many different versions.

The only i've tried was when they first appeared and it had a very wide P type neck that i didn't like.

Dave

The USA MM Sterling is like a jazz bass to the Stingray's P-bass Dave - bit of a loose comparison but

mainly due to the neck size i.e. The Sterling has more of a thin jazz bass neck profile.

Probably some Limited Edition Stingrays have had smaller necks - am sure someone more knowledgeable

than me will help with this.

• Like 1

I had the chance to buy 2 of the MM Sterling basses from a guitarist band mate who had returned to guitar and he was looking for £700 for each but having it in my head they had wide necks i just said no but after he sold them he told me they had narrower necks.

Sometimes i could kick myself and that was one of those moments. I should have at least tried them.

I had just bought my Sandberg VM4 before it to be honest.

Dave

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Some narrow width PreEB stingrays exist but they're hard to track down.  Otherwise, yeah, go with the Sterling.

• Thanks 1

The USA Sterling has ceramic pickups, a smaller body and some different switching options as well as a jazz neck. It doesn't sound exactly like a Stingray but it's very close. You could also look for a Sterling SB14 which is a cheaper version of the USA one - there was a black one in the classifieds recently. I've had both the USA Sterling and the SB14 and there's barely anything beteween them sound wise. You just dont get the oiled neck on the SB14.

If you can find a Stingray SLO thats the one with a jazz neck on a 'proper' Stingray. As Kiwi said above they're super scarce though....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the original Stingray neck was based on the pre 69 tv logo Pbass neck. That’s fairly chunky , but is surprisingly comfortable once you play it for a while and get used to it. I’ve had one for close to 25 years now.

I usually play short scales these days but that Ray has a place beside the couch so it’s always handy to pick up. It’s one of the few basses I keep fresh rounds on.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, msb said:

I think the original Stingray neck was based on the pre 69 tv logo Pbass neck. That’s fairly chunky , but is surprisingly comfortable once you play it for a while and get used to it. I’ve had one for close to 25 years now.

I usually play short scales these days but that Ray has a place beside the couch so it’s always handy to pick up. It’s one of the few basses I keep fresh rounds on.

I couldn't get used to the Vintera P bass i bought couple of yrs ago and just sold it on because of it. Was never fully comfortable with the neck width.

Its odd because i have a 6 string fretless Overwater altho i don't gig it.

Dave

I'm the same, I wasn't too keen on my USA Stingray neck. I saw a really good deal on a B stock, Sterling SUB Ray4, with a Jazz style neck (the cheapest model made in Indonesia) and bought it. When I got it I was really pleasantly surprised how much I loved the neck and the classic 2 band EQ.

The USA Stingray has now been sold and the Ray4 is a keeper.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

They used to make some with a slimmer neck, lookout for "SLO" versions, those have the slim neck. rare, 'though.

Alternatively there's the Sterling (the EBMM model, not the overseas "Sterling by MusicMan" brand), slightly smaller body and the preamp/pickup is not exactly the same, but it's not that far from a Stingray.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spongebob said:

I've owned a couple of USA 'Rays, and I'd call them both slim for me. One went, still got the other....sold the 2006, kept thr 2010, and I'd say the neck widths were pretty identical.  

When i tried one way back in the old days i was used to Jazz necks and even a P neck was way too wide for me. 

Dave

2 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

I’m amazed the sterling model (the model, not the import line) isn’t more popular. I’ve loved everyone that I’ve tried in the past. 

Is that a Musicman Sterling rather than the Sterling by Musicman ?

Its all so confusing with MM.

Dave

2 hours ago, jonno1981 said:

I’m amazed the sterling model (the model, not the import line) isn’t more popular. I’ve loved everyone that I’ve tried in the past. 

I had an EBMM USA Sterling and liked it. However, I was always disappointed that despite having a smaller

body than the Stingray it wasn’t any lighter than the Rays I had previously owned. After years of playing

MM basses I reluctantly decided they weren’t for me anymore. 

• Thanks 1

Never thought about the weight of them TBH. Would need to be wary of any bass that's too heavy on long gigs. Its taken me a good few gigs to get used to the Godin bass and its only 0.5 Kg heavier than my Sandbergs. For those first few gigs i had a slight ache in my back but it was fine last couple of gigs.

I like the idea of where the pick up sits and i think the tone is more or less what i like in a bass tone. Depth with a nice mid to top edge to give some clarity plus i quite like the look of them. 

Must admit i don't see many of them on local circuits. Maybe there's a reason for that, who knows ?

Dave

On 21/07/2024 at 21:12, Mudpup said:

The USA Sterling has ceramic pickups, a smaller body and some different switching options as well as a jazz neck. It doesn't sound exactly like a Stingray but it's very close. You could also look for a Sterling SB14 which is a cheaper version of the USA one - there was a black one in the classifieds recently. I've had both the USA Sterling and the SB14 and there's barely anything beteween them sound wise. You just dont get the oiled neck on the SB14.

If you can find a Stingray SLO thats the one with a jazz neck on a 'proper' Stingray. As Kiwi said above they're super scarce though....

Unless you buy a custom one, but those are super expensive.

The neck width thing is exactly why I haven't got one.

Rays with SLO necks (very jazz like) are rare, and if specc'd on a new one are eye wateringly expensive.

I just played with the configurator for a very simple 'Nard Edwards type - natural, blac 'plate, maple board, SLO neck, and the Mono rigid bag they now come with - and it would be £3213.52 including shipping and VAT / import etc. That's the final landed price.

Painted options are actually cheaper - presumably because they save the nice looking wood for the natural / stains.

I might have to have a look at one of the SUB Rays after this thread! I see LowEndLobster did a review and stuck an upgraded pickup in it too and thought it was very good.

• Like 1