Why become a member? ×

Weird Tuner Behaviour

bassist_lewis

I have a Walrus Audio Canvas tuner on my board. Works perfectly well 90% of the time, except every now and again when I engage it to tune then disengage it, there is a high pitched tone when it unmutes. The noise goes away if I stamp/kick it (not the foot switch, literally stamp on the enclosure).

Anyone with a background in electronics know what's going on?

L

5 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

My first question would be - how are you powering it? If it’s daisy chained, it might be worth trying it on an isolated power output for a bit to see if that behaviour continues.

I thought it was a power thing. I'm using the Gigrig power setup. The tuner is connected to a high power adapter (needs 300mA), which is connected to the Distributer. This is how Gigrig recommends you wire it up.

4 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I thought it was a power thing. I'm using the Gigrig power setup. The tuner is connected to a high power adapter (needs 300mA), which is connected to the Distributer. This is how Gigrig recommends you wire it up.

Have you tried it with another power supply (or even a battery if it has that option)? Any other power supply? I'm not saying it's the issue... but I stopped using a GigRig power setup after some odd behaviour. Ruling out power is step one... and you need to try alternatives to do that.

7 hours ago, pantherairsoft said:

Have you tried it with another power supply (or even a battery if it has that option)? Any other power supply? I'm not saying it's the issue... but I stopped using a GigRig power setup after some odd behaviour. Ruling out power is step one... and you need to try alternatives to do that.

I have not tried it with a separate supply. I will try it, but its very unpredictable when it happens.

I have also noticed I've wired some of the the pedals from the distributer (not isolated), so I'll rewire them to an isolater and see if that stops the sound.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I would also be looking at power, but also looking at what it is hooked up to at the other end? DI into a PA system? All sorts of earth loop things to mess up there. 

52 minutes ago, Owen said:

I would also be looking at power, but also looking at what it is hooked up to at the other end? DI into a PA system? All sorts of earth loop things to mess up there. 

That has happened before, but it also happens when I'm at home just plugged into my amp. I re-wired my board so every pedal has isolated power and no noise so far 🤞

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

That has happened before, but it also happens when I'm at home just plugged into my amp. I re-wired my board so every pedal has isolated power and no noise so far 🤞

Here's hoping :)

• Like 1