Why become a member? ×

'Best' budget 5er? Around £500.....

Hello all!

Looking for a 5er -

What's the general view on what the best 5 string bass for the money - circa £500 - new or used.

Looking for something that will cover most 'bases' sound wise - would like something that can do typical function band fayre - don't mind passive or active.

My usual players are  Jazzes, a P and I have an EB MM Stingray 3 band, so very 'Fender' derived!

Cheers!!

The Sadowsky MetroExpress Hybrid is surely the best option for you.

Too bad you're a bit late to the party as Thomann has been heavily discounting them, but there are no fivers anymore.

• Like 1

If you can find one, the OLP Tony Levin signature MM5 is a great bass for the money, usually well under £400.

Better quality than the standard OLP stuff, better than the SUB offerings too.

Rare though.

• Like 2

Fender derived stuff - obviously Sire gets a mention here, branching out slightly, G&L L2500 is the literal swiss army knife of basses. Can do all the sounds and tones.

Slightly more modern - MTD Kingston, again will do everything you need, but the 5ers tend to be 35" if that is a deal breaker for you.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

If you can find one, the OLP Tony Levin signature MM5 is a great bass for the money, usually well under £400.

Better quality than the standard OLP stuff, better than the SUB offerings too.

Rare though.

It's an excellent bass for sure, had one, but the strings spacing is very narrow at 16 mm.

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

It's an excellent bass for sure, had one, but the strings spacing is very narrow at 16 mm.

You sure about that?

I have a Warwick Thumb 5 which is 16mm, and SR5's which are 17mm, the OLP felt more like the SR5 it's based on.

Never measured it mind, maybe that's why I liked it so much, I like 16mm basses.

Another +1 for Sire. Mine's a PJ - a V7-5, although it looks like prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine and you might struggle to get a new one on your budget now

Just saw this in the classifieds, as this model was mentioned earlier I thought I’d share it here.

OOPS! ALREADY SHARED. Ignore me :facepalm:

Edited by ezbass
  • Haha 2