Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big 24

That looks fantastic- who doesn’t love a big cab booming away behind them 😊

However… I really like Bareface and how they’ve shook things up but the price of their gear is really getting silly and seems to have risen a huge amount in the last couple of years. £2k for a cab 😳

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassybert said:

I really like Bareface and how they’ve shook things up but the price of their gear is really getting silly and seems to have risen a huge amount in the last couple of years. £2k for a cab

It's the same for many companies, especially those who don't source their stuff from Chinese factories staffed by people who earn £2 a day. Their costs have gone through the roof and they have to pass that on to consumers. On the plus side, if you want after-sales support, it's a lot easier if the manufacturer is in the same country as you and firms such as BF tend to stand behind what they make and sell. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

It's the same for many companies, especially those who don't source their stuff from Chinese factories staffed by people who earn £2 a day. Their costs have gone through the roof and they have to pass that on to consumers. On the plus side, if you want after-sales support, it's a lot easier if the manufacturer is in the same country as you and firms such as BF tend to stand behind what they make and sell. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Absolutely, I’m not doubting the quality of the product or the staff at all, they seem like a great company. I just think the prices of their products have risen to the point where they’re out of reach for all but the well off. But like you say, you don’t have to buy them if you don’t want/can’t. 

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bassybert said:

Absolutely, I’m not doubting the quality of the product or the staff at all, they seem like a great company. I just think the prices of their products have risen to the point where they’re out of reach for all but the well off. But like you say, you don’t have to but them if you don’t want. 

It's either that or they have them built in China or just cease trading.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

It's either that or they have them built in China or just cease trading.

True. We have become used to cheap products in recent years due to the global economy. When I started playing, well over 50 years ago, stuff was much more expensive, in terms of the percentage or multiple of your earnings that you needed to spend to acquire it.

Quite a few musical equipment companies build little themselves nowadays (even the big names tend to produce only flagship stuff in-house). They design/specify products and have them made by massive manufacturing firms situated in low wage economies. 

As consumers, we benefit in the short term from cheap products (albeit of sometimes questionable quality). If anything goes amiss, however, it can be difficult to get a problem solved. In the long term, if we outsource/offshore too much manufacturing capacity, our own economy suffers. We can't all feed ourselves courtesy of financial and service industries.

Someone I used to know, who owned a small manufacturing company that is UK based, told me he had looked into the possibility of having stuff made in the Far East. He found two problems. Maintaining quality control and getting faults rectified was one. If you have to wait for two months for replacement stuff to arrive in a container from China, customers tend not to be happy. The other was patent enforcement. If you give your designs to a company thousands of miles away in a completely different jurisdiction, you shouldn't be surprised if low-cost knock-offs start appearing on the market. Trying to stop that is a nightmare and often just not possible. He decided against in the end.

If someone is prepared to manufacture at home, pay their staff decent wages and offer quality products and after sales back-up, I think they deserve our support if we can afford to give it. I try not to buy Chinese if I can avoid it. If we all did that, the economy would be in better shape.

• Like 2

I think the Big 24 is one for the well heeled BF fans. The one in the pic is also a customised version ( special grill cloth) so its gunna be even more expensive than the web page sticker price. Still, it is an inordinate amount of money for a bass cab and probably far out of reach of the man in the street bass player doing gigs at the Dog & Duck on a modest equipment budget. However, if you want high performance and have the bucks then why not blow over two thousand pounds on a cab? You'll need a decent amp to go with it, no point in sitting your old Mag 600 on top, so maybe another £2k-£3K for the amp and of course a top of the range bass and your in for ten grand easily. Has anyone ever posted a "who has the most expensive rig" thread?. I'd hazard a guess that there would be some BF kit mentioned. I do agree that prices in general for ALL musical equipment manufactures are increasing ever more and its not a dig i'm making at BF. Their cabs have always been relatively expensive imho and will therefore be more affected by rising costs to their business if they choose to maintain the high tech crafted in Britain ethos they have built their business on.

• Like 1

I'm sure the extra permutations will help the BF bank balance and make a lot of bass players very happy, but when the Super Compact hit the market, my need for cabs ceased.

£1000 112 cabs are not uncommon and IMO the best is worth that.