Why become a member? ×

A very special customising job for Happy Jack

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

What I don't have any more is...any excuse not to just get on with it!  9_9

Have you double checked with your wife that the 'list of jobs' is clear ?

• Haha 2

Well, MrsAndjr1515 tells me that I am out of time for the rest of the day (as @Aidan63 guessed I might be :D )  , but it's been quite a productive afternoon.

I set out just to experiment how best to cut the aluminium sheet but it went a bit better than that.

And so - this is 0.2mm aluminium sheet.  And it is proper strong and resilient sheet.

But - it's actually just thin enough to be able to cut  at least the outline with some decent scissors - and without deforming!  Ignore the swirly bits, I was just experimenting.

BjnILh8l.jpg

Hmmm...it's a long shot, but I might be able to use this as a real version rather than just a trial...

cClogUil.jpg

But how to cut out the tuner holes.  Clearly scissors can't be used and it's too thick for a Stanley knife.

But maybe a curved chisel?

I tapped both sides round the circle and then stuck the Stanley knife in every mm or so round the work-hardened punch line and, with a little bit of wiggling, the bonds snapped and the centre came out fine:

sGFVIiwl.jpg

YGCzWD7l.jpg

Then, a clean-up with the Stanley knife to the pen line:

tO7EsPzl.jpg

d5wQkOtl.jpg

And I just have the truss rod access and final external shape trimming to do...which will have to wait until I've served my penance helped round the house a bit, starting with hoovering the little bits of sharp aluminium stuck in the spare bedroom carpet 9_9

Oh...and the weight?  8 grammes - exactly half way between the weight of a gnat's whatsit and a smidgen!  Who'd have thought?!! :)

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Banking on the hoover sounding louder than the pillar drill, and risking that it will be a few moments before MrsAndyjr1515 realises that the sound of the hoover is actually coming from the cellar rather than the spare bedroom...

...it'll take a bit of practice and more trial and error and probably a different sand pad but I reckon we can get at least into the realm of 'essence of':

w7SmfRf.jpg 

• Like 6

how about a piece of green scotchbrite held in the jaws of a drill, I use that method for cleaning inside tubular holes in gearbox cases where I am just cleaning off some oxidation or for cleaning irregular surfaces , I can use a piece small enough to get in the bore but big enough that it will 'polish' the sides lightly -in your case  say a 15mm strip folded on itself will give you a 15-20mm circle without the gap in the middle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

Did you use a wooden pin to make that surface to the body? Watchmakers use wood to decorate movements.

I was just going to suggest a wooden dowel in the drill press and grinding paste. It’s how they taught me at apprentice training school when I had to put a machined finish on a centre-finder I made in toolmaking class.

• Like 2

Good suggestions, all.  Those tests were a dremel sanding disk in the pillar drill, which is the right size but has a flexible outer and a too-rigid inner.  I will try bonding some scotchbrite (great minds @Aidan63 ! ) onto the disc which would maybe even out the pressure. 

If that doesn't work I'll have a try of wood/grinding paste as @JPJ and @itu suggest.  I have plenty of aluminium sheet to practice on and I know that @Happy Jack has the absolute patience of a saint 😇 

• Like 1

I have to say, this is all jolly educational. 

Early heads-up. I was originally hoping to launch the Alumibird on an unsuspecting world on 25th August, but that now seems unrealistic. 

Plan B (and airtight alibi) will now be 8th September at Amersham Heritage Day. 

10 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I have to say, this is all jolly educational. 

Early heads-up. I was originally hoping to launch the Alumibird on an unsuspecting world on 25th August, but that now seems unrealistic. 

Plan B (and airtight alibi) will now be 8th September at Amersham Heritage Day. 

Well, barring unforeseen events, I think, @Happy Jack , that you may well be able to go to the ball, Cinders :)

• Thanks 1

Last hole cutting job for the plate was the trussrod access.  I used the same method as with the tuner holes:

h46nDFEl.jpg 

And then back to the trials.  Well, I reckon that scotchbrite is indeed the way to go @Aidan63 :)

This is the Dremel disc I was using for the previous trial, and pictured with it the 'hi-tech modification kit'  :

EeqLiGol.jpg

And modded:

gabsruMl.jpg

And..in action!!!

tZV6Sskl.jpg

As the saying goes...'that will do nicely'

So - plate is now glued to the headstock (using the same impact adhesive) and, after a cup of tea, we shall see where we get to :)

• Like 4

Well, no-one could accuse me of lacking in self-confidence but, word-not-allowed me, I was not expecting that!

eklVQMEl.jpg

Just got to trim the excess round the sides and that bit is pretty much done   :party:

• Like 12

using grey or red scotchbrite might yield even more even results, but that looks great, should anyone else try something similar

will there be a Swift on the headstock ?

Edited by Aidan63
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

At least that will stop Paul the Drums calling it The Seagull Bass.

The Dynamites drummer, however, can tell a seagull from a swift and he's the one who'll be seeing the bass in action. :i-m_so_happy: :D

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2