Why become a member? ×

I don't think I've played enough basses to come up with a true "does everything for me" bass. Some basses (except maybe a p bass) don't look right in every genre either. 

Right now, if money was no object, I'd have either:

A 5 string Dingwall Z, with some fancy top and a ridiculous finish, 3 FDV pickups, Glockenklang preamp, full wenge neck.

OR

A 5 string Dingwall super J in metallic purple, with a matte black pickguard, 3 FDV pickups, Glock preamp, full maple neck, blocks.

I could also quite easily spec something out from Alpher, Brooks, Overload, Dunable... The list goes on. 

• Like 1

I don't have one particular dream bass, as my taste and needs vary a lot. For the band I'm with I already have my perfect bass: my Status S2 Classic takes downtuning like no other and still sounds crisp and tight when tuned down a full step to ADGCF. It also feels great to play and I feel it looks great too (if a little tiny when played by someone my size). At home I play my shortscales the most, which are totally different little beasts. Deep down inside, I think I'm mostly a Jazz Bass person though - but more modern and high-end. If money was no objection, I would ask Sander de Gier to build me a Bebop 5 (maybe a Glenn Gaddum jr signature, with its slightly scaled-down body) in a cool metallic finish over alder, with a plain maple neck with a matching headstock and the most wildly grained ziricote fingerboard he could find, with white bindings and MOP dots rather than blocks as to not obscure too much of that lovely fingerboard wood from view. I would go with Lollar pickups and Sander's proprietary passive electronics with variable De Gier / Vanderkley FatBoost. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Do I just post pics of my custom Shukers? 😆

If that is the basses of your dreams, then yes, please.

Though a bit of information about them and why they are the ultimate basses for you would be appreciated too.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 minute ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

If that is your dream bass, then yes, please.

Ok. Shuker No1 was everything I wanted in a bass. Mid-scale, Thumbchum (combined ramp, pup cover, and thumb rest), bendwell; extended fret board, monkey grip, scalloped frets at the dusty end, pink LEDs that flash and pulse, and the highest outputting pup possible. But it is also couture, as the body has been resized for me and slightly widened at the bottom to fit how I hold and play the bass, and a slim fast neck.

The low action and ramp mean some people find playing difficult, but for me it is glorious. It plays and sounds wonderful. 

IMG_20240726_102851.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Ok. Shuker No1 was everything I wanted in a bass. Mid-scale, Thumbchum (combined ramp, pup cover, and thumb rest), bendwell; extended fret board, monkey grip, scalloped frets at the dusty end, pink LEDs that flash and pulse, and the highest outputting pup possible. But it is also couture, as the body has been resized for me and slightly widened at the bottom to fit how I hold and play the bass, and a slim fast neck.

The low action and ramp mean some people find playing difficult, but for me it is glorious. It plays and sounds wonderful. 

IMG_20240726_102851.jpg

You got a very iconic smile! ;)

Anyway, nice bass. :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks for sharing.

And, yes, I prefer low action and relatively thin low tension strings too, I more so stroke the strings, with the outmost tip of my fingers/nails, in a slightly inward light slapping motion, than really plucking, striking or pulling the strings, to me that gives a better tone, richer and clearer, but actually also more punchy and snappy, the attack is emphasized, but in a rich bell like way, rather than a dead thump-ish way, than if I had digged in, and it also gives me a much wider dynamic range at my disposal.

I don't really need a ramp though, my fingers never dig in too deep, unless I deliberately want them to, and I use floating thumb technique, so no need for a place to rest my thumb either.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I don't know.

I haven't tried everything yet,  and even when I had, one probably wouldn't cover everything. 

Sound Familiar?

You don't have to be with every woman on earth to know when you found the one.

That doesn't however mean that you don't need any other friends. 

9 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't really need a ramp though, my fingers never dig in too deep, unless I deliberately want them to, and I use floating thumb technique, so not need for a place to rest my thumb either.

I came to bass from classical guitar, so still use floating thumb, and also occasionally pluck with my thumb, but the first time I played a bass with a ramp it just felt right 😊

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I came to bass from classical guitar, so still use floating thumb, and also occasionally pluck with my thumb, but the first time I played a bass with a ramp it just felt right 😊

While I predominantly use the traditional index + middle finger plucking technique, I often use only the index or middle finger, and I occasionally pluck with my thumb too, or add the ring finger, so I pluck with 3 fingers, only way I can galop, or utilize flamenco guitar style index and/or middle and/or ring -finger flicking technique, for fast single or multiple string(s) strumming parts, that would otherwise have required a pick. 

I do occasionally also actually use a pick though, but again here I prefer a relatively thin flexible one, and don't get along well with thick stiff picks.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Sort of own one - but it’s more of a bucket list bass.

my Ripper.

I really still want a Wal Mk1.

just - £7k-£11k isn’t going to happen.35F29FDF-6D92-4E34-AD87-408DBB6628B8.thumb.jpeg.edb769720b48fab36232e1985d2c47d8.jpeg

The Ripper is an immensely cool looking (and especially in black finish) and sounding bass though.

In my opinion it looks considerably better than a WAL.

• Like 1

Gibson Rippers caught my attention in my teens when I first saw one in an old Bell's music catalogue. Out of all the basses the Ripper really stood out and for many years I always wanted one. The first one I saw (and played) in the flesh was @neepheid 's at a bass bash. The second being the one I was lucky enough to bag here a couple of months ago. 

I love it. I had it set up professionally with new strings and it plays superbly. It's light weight too, surprising considering its size! 

So I guess this is a dream bass for me.

p.s

It fits nicely in a Hiscox Teardrop case too!

IMG_2632 2.jpeg

03FDE67A-1497-449B-8408-A659A3C78AE5.jpg

• Like 10

On 23/07/2024 at 13:20, BigRedX said:

DSC01114.jpg

You must have posted a photo of this before, but I can't remember seeing it.
But that is pretty awesome looking,

17 minutes ago, bartelby said:

You must have posted a photo of this before, but I can't remember seeing it.
But that is pretty awesome looking,

Thanks! This was my first Gus bass which I got back in 2002.

It's my main bass for recording when I don't need the range of the Bass VI, and the only reason it doesn't get used as much at gigs, is because the red one looks better on stage.