Why become a member? ×

There's been plenty that I've desired, been lucky enough to own most of them. 

Thing is, while there's a few I'd still like to get my hands on (Rickenbacker Blackstar/Hamer B12A/Gibson Thunderbird II), I'm happy with my lot.  Desired a Spector Thunderbird for a long while (that happened last year); my Lulls are delicious as are my Hamers.

• Like 1

I'm really happy with my current and only bass, 2005 EBMM Stingray Ltd Ed 4H 3eq with a rosewood board. I do wonder sometimes what it would be like to swap for a 78/79 Pre Eb Stingray in black with a maple neck

• Like 4

I am extremely happy with my fretless wal custom.  Though it would be nice if it were walnut or Wenge not maple faced ... and though the sound is great, the ergonomics have room for improvement.  I wonder what a through neck Wal would be like ..it would have to be Ken Smith style complicated in construction to avoid maple and hornbeam going right through it..and a longer finger board would be good to have.

A fretless 4 string mk3 Wal might do it.  Someones earlier suggestion of an Alembic with Wal innards might be spot on.

Though my own attempts to make something with all the merits of a fender jazz, a Warwick dolphin and a Wal custom did not create something better than any of those (well, maybe better than the fender).

• Like 3

This. USA Lakland 5594 Deluxe....But with Lakland pickups and pre.. tone wise its just a monster, can do most, fat, punchy. You can dial in so much., the neck is the best on any bass ever made period.. very flat front to back then gets flatter towards the body. 

If you havent picked up a 5594 you must. I remember picking up my first 5594 and you could just feel its vibration. Sounds like bs but it aint. They are phenomenal electric basses. 

lakland_top.jpg-nggid047868-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

This. USA Lakland 5594 Deluxe....But with Lakland pickups and pre.. tone wise its just a monster, can do most, fat, punchy. You can dial in so much., the neck is the best on any bass ever made period.. very flat front to back then gets flatter towards the body. 

If you havent picked up a 5594 you must. I remember picking up my first 5594 and you could just feel its vibration. Sounds like bs but it aint. They are phenomenal electric basses. 

lakland_top.jpg-nggid047868-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

The round bridge on those doesn't do it for me; they should either have rounded pickups to match or just do rectangles.

• Like 1

6 string, narrow spacing, headless XL2 styled. Just like this but with another string, a Boomerang and maple and wenge NT stylistically like my Cort A5 Ultra Ash (but I'd be happy if the wings were just plain maple).

XL2-5W.thumb.jpg.ebac5effdbfa9a7a9ed6c59d3f6bdd16.jpg

To give you an idea what the Cort looks like if you're not familiar.

CortA5UltraAsh.jpg.22b6fc14f9be067ac15024d5793861b7.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NickA said:

My thoughts exactly.  It shouldn't be an issue, but it is rather ick.

Yeah, if they absolute insists on being original, at least  they should have done it properly.

A bridge shaped like this would have been more original: 

Polygon-1.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been fortunate enough to have had most of my 'dream' basses, but it turned out that whilst I thought they would be the ultimate instrument, none of them actually were. Still, nice to have tried and learned a little about what I like from each of them. There's probably some deep philosophical point to be made about dreams vs reality but I'm not prepared to put my neck out and make it myself.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ped said:

I have been fortunate enough to have had most of my 'dream' basses, but it turned out that whilst I thought they would be the ultimate instrument, none of them actually were. Still, nice to have tried and learned a little about what I like from each of them. There's probably some deep philosophical point to be made about dreams vs reality but I'm not prepared to put my neck out and make it myself.

Same here. I've had several Alembics, Status, Kubicki, Steinberger and many others, but none of them as stuck, except the XL2. As I play 6s mainly the Steinie isn't quite enough, though the Hohner woodberger 5 does for that, hence the desire for a 6 string version.

In the interim, I'm happy with my Ibanez SRs, BTB and ATK as well as the Cort A5/6, and the woodberger.

• Like 1

I've only ever owned a couple that were on the 'Dream' list.

Currently my 04 QMT American Deluxe Jazz in Amber and my Darkray (though I wish it was Starry Night!!!) are at the top end, having been on the wishlist for quite some time (The QMT was a 20yr wait)

Still on the Dream list would be:

The Jason Newsted Sadowsky I saw the other day

A Fiesta Red Fender 83 62 RI Precision as per Kim Deal

An Eastwood Rocket

Maybe a bullion gold 50th Ann.Thunderbird

Oh and maybe another Stingray Special in a cool sparkle finish - something suitably disco!

My dreams are a lot less covetous than when I were a nipper...

I am in the process of shifting a dream bass I acquired by accident - a 90's Dano DC in Silver Sparkle and my 2011 US Std. Jazz to make way for something that I have been dreaming a lot about lately - An American Professional II Jazz in either Mercury and RW or the FSR Dark Night with RW board

• Like 2

On 28/07/2024 at 11:38, ped said:

I'll give it a go:

No matter what bass you get, you're gonna sound like you.

Out of interest @ped, out of your dream basses acquired, which one was your favourite?

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I'll give it a go:

No matter what bass you get, you're gonna sound like you.

Out of interest @ped, out of your dream basses acquired, which one was your favourite?

I liked different things about each, but I think the one I was most happy with was the Celinder - it just absolutely nailed that 70s jazz bass slap sound. In terms of 'dreams' it absolutely was the exact sound I had in my head for that particular style. But I was never particularly keen on the jazz body shape. The Smith 5 was amazing and sounded perfect, but I din't find 5 strings as natural as 4s. Both these two were a bit tricky in a band situation, where each got a bit lost in the mix. Possibly something I could have addressed with amplification but I felt they were excellent studio instruments. 

The Alembic 6 was way too heavy and I am even less comfortable on a 6 than a 5. Plus you whit that out and people think you're going to be absolutely shit hot, so it was writing cheques my body couldn't cash.

The Vigiers - had many, but the faves were the Excess and the 1988 passion, which was my number one for a looong time, having seen off everything else I have had in between. But I feel like it doesn't suit what I do now, my tastes and style have changed and I no longer feel like it's 'me'. 

The Smith 4 was fantastic but I couldn't get the setup as nailed as I would have liked (I used to obsess over that more than I tend to now).

Stingrays are great but I found them hard to develop a 'voice' with - they sound lovely but somehow I never find them very expressive, no idea why. I keep thinking I'll try again.

The first two 'high end' basses I owned were a Pedulla MVP and a shell pink 57 reissue P bass. I certainly hadn't developed my tastes enough to appreciate them at the time, especially the P bass which I wish I still had. The Pedulla was amazing and sounded great, but I never 100% loved the shape. I think I sold that for a Marleaux.

Looking back, though, I don't think I've ever really lost much money along the way. Apart from that initial purchase of the Fender and Pedulla, I think I've generally traded my way through different things and loved the process. Probably lots more to come, but I've arrived in a happy place!

I think it's true what you say about sounding like you no matter what you play, but the bass makes you play a certain way, too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, ped said:

I liked different things about each, but I think the one I was most happy with was the Celinder - it just absolutely nailed that 70s jazz bass slap sound. In terms of 'dreams' it absolutely was the exact sound I had in my head for that particular style. But I was never particularly keen on the jazz body shape. The Smith 5 was amazing and sounded perfect, but I din't find 5 strings as natural as 4s. Both these two were a bit tricky in a band situation, where each got a bit lost in the mix. Possibly something I could have addressed with amplification but I felt they were excellent studio instruments. 

The Alembic 6 was way too heavy and I am even less comfortable on a 6 than a 5. Plus you whit that out and people think you're going to be absolutely shit hot, so it was writing cheques my body couldn't cash.

The Vigiers - had many, but the faves were the Excess and the 1988 passion, which was my number one for a looong time, having seen off everything else I have had in between. But I feel like it doesn't suit what I do now, my tastes and style have changed and I no longer feel like it's 'me'. 

The Smith 4 was fantastic but I couldn't get the setup as nailed as I would have liked (I used to obsess over that more than I tend to now).

Stingrays are great but I found them hard to develop a 'voice' with - they sound lovely but somehow I never find them very expressive, no idea why. I keep thinking I'll try again.

The first two 'high end' basses I owned were a Pedulla MVP and a shell pink 57 reissue P bass. I certainly hadn't developed my tastes enough to appreciate them at the time, especially the P bass which I wish I still had. The Pedulla was amazing and sounded great, but I never 100% loved the shape. I think I sold that for a Marleaux.

Looking back, though, I don't think I've ever really lost much money along the way. Apart from hat initial purchase if the Fender and Pedulla, I think I've generally traded my way through different things and loved the process. Probably lots more to come, but I've arrived in a happy place!

I think it's true what you say about sounding like you no matter what you play, but the bass makes you play a certain way, too. 

What a great and thorough answer. The last paragraph was about to stir up the BC locals with torches and pitchforks, but you saved it with the closing phrase. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ped said:

Looking back, though, I don't think I've ever really lost much money along the way. Apart from that initial purchase of the Fender and Pedulla, I think I've generally traded my way through different things and loved the process. Probably lots more to come, but I've arrived in a happy place!

Great reply! Thanks. 

I know what you mean about Stingrays. I've had 3 at different times but I've always ended up letting them go. But I still wouldn't mind another. It's complicated!

You're right, different basses do make you play differently. I really meant that hearing or seeing someone else playing a particular bass can inspire us to dream of owning one to get that sound, but inevitably we will usually only sound like us playing that bass. 

I with you though, it's a darn fun journey! Some you win, some you lose but it's always an education. 

It's an interesting ride for sure!

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ped said:

I’m glad you said that about the MPV shape…I’ve had the same thoughts lately, especially after spending time with fso’s.

I’ll be one of those obnoxious blokes saying “I already have mine”. But, I do… and it took me a long time and $$ to get it.

Totally stock and unmolested 1954 Fender P-Bass. The neck pencil date is TG 10-54.

IMG_3781.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, shadven said:

I’ll be one of those obnoxious blokes saying “I already have mine”. But, I do… and it took me a long time and $$ to get it.

Totally stock and unmolested 1954 Fender P-Bass. The neck pencil date is TG 10-54.

IMG_3781.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3785.jpeg

Wow.  Just Wow.  That thing could tell a few stories I bet!

• Like 1