Why become a member? ×

NCD: Barefaced Compact Gen1

Pow_22

After admitting im not quite the spring chicken i once was and ditching the big old valve heads for a Mesa Walkabout i started to look into options to lighten my cab carry.  I had pretty much settled on a Fender Rumble V3 2x10 cab as my band doesnt play at excessive volumes and bigger venues get FOH help.  Ive tried several barefaced cabs over the years (all borrowed or shared backline) and to be honest never really saw the hype - yes they were light but there seemed too much trade of tone wise.  This was with their 12's and 10's cabs id tried.  However, i see all the rave reviews and wondered was it me that was the issue?  My problem was i always found them bitey, honky in the mids and ice picky highs so someone suggested their older 15's in particular the compact.  I believe then is a gen 1 v2 (apparently) as it has two speakon inputs on the back

Fast forward a while and one popped up on Bass Directs website so i took the plunge.  At house volume it seems much better than my previous dealings but the proof will be at full volume band practice tonight where it will be paired with the walkabout and my flats loaded P bass.......will feedback asap

P.S - A bit weird that these don't come with rubber feet...or any feet for that matter

IMG_6553.jpeg

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pow_22 said:

P.S - A bit weird that these don't come with rubber feet...or any feet for that matter

Hmm... mine has feet on 2 sides. 

eta. I meant the bottom & 1 side. 

Edited by barkin

2 minutes ago, barkin said:

Hmm... mine has feet on 2 sides. 

eta. I meant the bottom & 1 side. 

interesting.  Ive checked they haven't been removed on mine and there are no signs of previous feet like screw holes or glue residue

14 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

interesting.  Ive checked they haven't been removed on mine and there are no signs of previous feet like screw holes or glue residue

I have a Gen 1 Compact and that doesn’t have feet ( on any side…).

• Thanks 1

So after two rehearsals over two nights im sold.  The load in is so much easier, easy one hand carry for the cab.  Tone wise, of course its nowhere near the volume of the Eden 4x10 it has replaced but its a very even and deep sound without getting muddy.  When i play this via my Walkabout and my flats loaded P bass its thumpy and gives a bit of dirt when i dig in.  When i click my Cali 76 compressor on it thumps REALLY hard, proper chest hitting stuff.  Miles away from my previous Barefaced experiences with the honky mids and ice pick highs.  Need to find a cover for it at some point as its definitely a keeper!