Why become a member? ×

From PBass to Stingray

BassAdder60

About 20yrs ago I was regularly gigging with a USA Musicman Stingray bass and Ampeg rig 

Sold it all off when the band folded and I had a ten year break from playing bass ( everything sold )

I returned and started playing Fender PBass and I thought this was my perfect bass however I’ve discovered that I’m really still a Stingray guy and I’ve found a secondhand USA Stingray in Blue Pearl virtually the same as my original bass !! I’m converted back to playing a Ray 

Im already selling my Vintera II on here and my American Performer will soon be listed too 

Picture of incoming bass and 20yrs ago gigging my Ray with Ampeg 610 and SVT CL head ! 

IMG_6237.thumb.jpeg.7f4504f85576738f86d17f423ca14f74.jpegIMG_6241.thumb.png.81d75e528f8c776c6806ca373c5c12d2.png

• Like 14

That’s interesting Martin, given how you’ve described your sound previously I’d have thought it would have been the 2-eq ‘Ray that would have fitted you more. 

Interesting story. I have had a couple of flirtations with a Stingray. The ergonomics just don't work for me. Being a plucker, I anchor my thumb on the pickup cover and I find the slight increase in tension (or whatever it is) when anchored on the Stingray pickup too awkward, against a lifetime being used to a Precision.

• Like 1

Gorgeous 'Ray, congrats

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s interesting Martin, given how you’ve described your sound previously I’d have thought it would have been the 2-eq ‘Ray that would have fitted you more. 

Out of interest, why?  

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Gorgeous 'Ray, congrats

Out of interest, why?  

I was always struggling with tone with my PBass played fingerstyle and just felt I didn’t have “ that sound” I had in the past and it’s obviously down to the Ray as the improvement in clarity with the active EQ just works better for me. Pickup placement too feels more comfortable. 
I do love a PBass for it’s simplicity of great sounds but for me the Stingray takes it further 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BassAdder60 said:

I was always struggling with tone with my PBass played fingerstyle and just felt I didn’t have “ that sound” I had in the past and it’s obviously down to the Ray as the improvement in clarity with the active EQ just works better for me. Pickup placement too feels more comfortable. 
I do love a PBass for it’s simplicity of great sounds but for me the Stingray takes it further 

Oo no I wasn't asking you, for me a 'Ray over a P is a no brainer 😉

I was asking Lozz why a 2 band EQ model would be more appropriate, coming from a P, as I think with the extra control over the mids, I'd say the opposite?

9 minutes ago, Kev said:

I was asking Lozz why a 2 band EQ model would be more appropriate, coming from a P, as I think with the extra control over the mids, I'd say the opposite?

Yep the 3EQ was what I had in the 90’s and now of course, I prefer this having the mid control 👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kev said:

I suppose having had both I found the 2 to be thicker & more powerful, the 3 to be more precise.

If it sounds better for what you’re playing then it makes sense, I’ve always had a soft spot for the Charcoal Sparkle 4HH , and I’ve been tempted a few times but I don’t think I would stick with it, would like to try one though 

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with a Stingray for some good honest meat and potatoes bass playing. It'll give you the thump of a P Bass with some added clarity and zing up top, depending on how you play it and set your e.q. Simple but very versatile and so much fun to play.

If possible it might be nice to keep a P Bass too, though, just for the contrast. 

• Like 2

I’ve recently passed through a phase where I tried to find a nice P in the current Fender production… IMO nothing, not even USA Professional Serie or American Vintage, could touch a Stingray both in wood’s quality and construction wise. 

• Like 1

Complete opposite here. Played a Ray from 80 to 89.. was never happy, always seemed lacking somehow. Took a break for a few yrs then bought a P bass and its been P basses ever since. A Ray does what it does but for me it lacks that final bit of heft, especially once u get ur technique sorted. My CV 70's wearing dead Chromes is a thump and punch machine all day long.

I had always been a p bass player. Occasionally the odd jazz but then always back to a p. 

Then this year I tried the stingray style and it's perfect for me. I've even worked out why. It does that svt style thing where it plays the note you hit, plus that pillowy bass warmth underneath it really filling out the band sound. 

Covid affected business and I can't afford a real ray yet, but when I can I'll be grabbing one. 

• Like 3