Why become a member? ×

1972 Jazz Bass - Verification of a few things

Hello all, 

I'm new here and would appreciate some advice. I've been playing for about 20 years on and off and I've finally found a vintage Jazz bass that i'm really interested in. I've put a sizable deposit down on it and would be grateful of someone could just verify a few bits on it please before I drive for three hours and treat the family to a night in a hotel at great expense!

The bass is advertised as an "all original" 1972 bass, however the numbering on the neck doesn't seem to use the same stamp type I've seen on other Jazzes of the era. The "bullet" of the truss road doesn't look the same either.

puymethzgwfujwuyqtrm.jpg

Also, the neck pocket is painted which "may" suggest that it has been re-finished and although the guitar does have newer pickups, the original pickups are included but i'm questioning the potentiometers, they don't look original . The serial also suggests a 73-74 bass as opposed to a 72.

j5pyeo23q1x5twi8zec9.jpg

wauyjqoyjknj3s9ypimx.jpg

Are my concerns justified, or am I needlessly worrying?

I'm sure the person selling the bass will be an active member on the site, and they have been courteous and helpful.. this post isn't a reflection on them.. I'm just doing due diligence as I would with any big purchase of something I'm not necessarily clued up about.

Full advert is here

https://reverb.com/uk/item/82269749-fender-jazz-bass-1972-black

Many thanks in advance for any information thrown my way. 

Cheers

Edited by TheStarsmith
Forgot original advert

At first sight; 100% refinish and non original pickguard.

I can't read the potmeter dating, if they don't read '72 it would be nice to know how they got to that year.

Very strange that they don't mention the refinish and changed pickguard (should be tortoise or white usually, depending on original finish, also thumb rest holes on top are wrong).  

I'd say it's ridiculously priced all in all for a non original kinda early '70s bass ... 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 5

Hi starsmith and welcome, I’m no expert and just my opinion after a quick look , I’d say it’s been refinished looking at the neck pocket as there should be an area of bare wood where the paint stick was used, and usually but not always a few stamps, looks like the pot date is 73 but I’d ask for clearer pictures of that, and it looks like the second from last number on the neck stamp is a 4 so 74 , also the truss rod nut is a bit sunken which is something I personally don’t like to see, the tuners have the R trademark which I don’t think came in until 73 ?

• Like 1

I know serial numbers on the neck plate do not date exactly but that number is some way outside of 1972/3 according to most databases. I’m not confident in dating mine from that era but my serial starts with 37 and the neck end stamp is illegible. 

• Like 1

It's a non original 1974 Fender Jazz Bass as the neck stamp attests it.

As previously said, it's not what it's supposed to be.

And the price tag is way too high.

• Like 4

That said, what is interesting on this Jazz Bass is that it still is a 4 screws model, which is quite rare in 1974, but not unusual and deciphering the stamp makes it a real one: 02 means Jazz Bass, 01 means rosewood for the fingerboard, 52 is the last week (if it's not a 5, it can't be higher) of 4 so 74 and 3 is the day of the week, which is Wednesday.

If it's really week 52 and 3rd day, it means this neck was made exactly on Christmas day of 1974...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For way less, you have, at the same place, a really fully original and beautiful 1976 Fender Jazz Bass.

And here they say that it had been refinished in black "later scraped off" over the original Olympic White that has turned into the usual lovely creamy colour:

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/fender-jazz-bass-1976-olympic-white-pre-owned/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The bass you're interested in @TheStarsmith is out of stock at Bassdirect.co.uk...

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/fender-jazz-bass-gloss-black-1972-pre-owned/

It’s out of stock because he has put a deposit on it.

The guys at BD are pretty good. I’d get your money back or look at the 76.

• Like 2

Thanks all. I'm a bit gutted as my heart set on it, however there's a few too many question marks over it. 

I'll forward the thread on to the guys at BD tomorrow. I wanted a black Jazz with the 4 bolt neck. With me thinking is was a 72 I thought the earlier the better with build quality - I'd heard horror stories with the 3 bolt neck and build quality issues mid 70's. This looks like it's encroaching into '74 territory and with the re-finish and wrong pick guard, you're correct it's probably too expensive for what it is. They'd also agreed to take my Spector NS-2 in part-ex which sweetened the deal for me, but with it being immaculate and a woodstock era bass, I think, i'd be foolish to do that... even if I can't get on with the Spector.

Thanks for your advice.

Lee

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheStarsmith said:

Thanks all. I'm a bit gutted as my heart set on it, however there's a few too many question marks over it. 

I'll forward the thread on to the guys at BD tomorrow. I wanted a black Jazz with the 4 bolt neck. With me thinking is was a 72 I thought the earlier the better with build quality - I'd heard horror stories with the 3 bolt neck and build quality issues mid 70's. This looks like it's encroaching into '74 territory and with the re-finish and wrong pick guard, you're correct it's probably too expensive for what it is. They'd also agreed to take my Spector NS-2 in part-ex which sweetened the deal for me, but with it being immaculate and a woodstock era bass, I think, i'd be foolish to do that... even if I can't get on with the Spector.

Thanks for your advice.

Lee

You did the right thing by getting some extra advice, Lee - no harm done.

Have a chat with the guys, let us know how it goes and enjoy your time at BD!

25 minutes ago, TheStarsmith said:

Thanks for your advice.

Lee

Most of the original finish mid-70s black Jazzes I've seen have finishes that were heavily cracked and falling off in lumps. No idea as to whether Fender had some issue with black finishes in that era, but whenever I see a relatovely decent black finish on a mid '70's Jazz it looks wrong (oddly I've not come across a Precision with similar issues)?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hellzero said:

That said, what is interesting on this Jazz Bass is that it still is a 4 screws model, which is quite rare in 1974, but not unusual and deciphering the stamp makes it a real one: 02 means Jazz Bass, 01 means rosewood for the fingerboard, 52 is the last week (if it's not a 5, it can't be higher) of 4 so 74 and 3 is the day of the week, which is Wednesday.

If it's really week 52 and 3rd day, it means this neck was made exactly on Christmas day of 1974...

Not sure I’d trust anything made on Christmas Day 😄 if it is a 74, at least that would make the black scratch plate correct.

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Not sure I’d trust anything made on Christmas Day 😄 if it is a 74, at least that would make the black scratch plate correct.

And the upper (E string side) holes for the thumb rest. 😉

I’d say it’s a refin for sure. I wouldn’t worry about pots being a year or two out from neck and body serial. Fender had large parts bins and even necks and bodies weren’t often made at the same time.

that said, I’d still walk away for that money 

Why not put your NS up for sale here and see if you can get a better price? Many Spector lovers are members of BC.

Glad the folks here were able to help out (and hopefully save you money).

Best

Snorks

• Like 3

Hi all, quick update.

I was still interested in the bass and tried to renegotiate the price down using this thread as a basis for it. Unfortunately it seems it wasn't something they were prepared to do and they will be sending my deposit back. I've since found a numbers matching '73 Bass in original case for £1000 less so "every cloud."

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I'll be putting my NS-2 up for sale soon. 

Thanks

Lee

• Like 6

All's well...  Ive bought many things off BD and they have always been spot on.  I've said it before on here though, they get VERY giddy price wise when anything 'vintage fender' comes into them

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 1