Why become a member? ×

1972 Jazz Bass - Verification of a few things

3 minutes ago, Belka said:

Binding did appear in mid-late 1965 on Jazzmaster and Jaguar guitars however - perhaps this is what Leo meant. 

This must be it. 😉

15 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Nope, you should also read Klaus Blasquiz's book "The Fender Bass", who, IIRC, is the only author to have met and interviewed Leo Fender himself as well as a lot of people involved in Fender's history.

So the Lollipop tuners were introduced in 1966, first on the P-Bass and the binding was first used in mid to late 65, but as usual with Fender this does absolutely not mean that the new features were used immediately as they also used existing parts first...

Noel Redding joined the Jimi Hendrix Experience in September 1966 and switched to bass at that moment and seemed to have used any bass available at the beginning, including a Dan Electro in Evreux France on the 18th of October 1966 for their first official concert.

He then switched to the Jazz Bass for a while, but according to all footage not before 1967, so maybe he bought his Jazz Bass at the moment and it's a 1966, not a 1965, with Lollipop tuners indeed and no binding, but that's absolutely not unusual if you know Fender history...

The Noel Redding Signature bass based on his main Jazz Bass is a recreation of a 1965 Jazz Bass with Clover Leaf aka Elephant Ear tuners.

IMG_20240730_155228.thumb.jpg.4f7dd78509cec8ad23aed4760f8dbc0a.jpg

This is the bass in question. 

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/bass-guitars/products/1965-fender-jazz-bass-sunburst-3

My early 1967 jazz bass has lollipop tuners. (Serial number is 1966 but the pickups have a 67 stamp date).

I have no idea what the reality of this (and in all honesty, I don’t care), but it is interesting all these differences. My 1967 bass is totally original but doesn’t have a button on the back of the headstock. Why? I don’t know.

I've owned and sold Jazz Basses and Precisions from each year between 1964 and 1983, except for 1965, which is quite strange as it was the one I was looking for, you know YOB...

All I can say is that the 1964 models I owned had flamed maple necks with Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, my only 1968 Jazz Bass had Lollipop tuners when it was supposed to have the new non ® Fender models, one 1966 Jazz Bass had dots with binding and that the Precisions were totally coherent all over the years.

Now, yesterday evening I checked a lot of 1965 and 1966 Jazz Bass models on the internet and saw a lot of 1965's with Lollipop tuners and none with a binding as @Belka said which is quite strange to me and all the written history of Fender, but it would be even more strange if all these were fake...

So, from now on, I'll believe that indeed Leo Fender mismatched these two features when interviewed and there must be some corrections done in the books.

Thanks @Belka for this as it's really important to me for accurate dating.

@Burns-bass : The 1965 is described in the title of the video clip as a late 1965 early 1966 model as Andy Baxter was certainly in doubt too...

Not having a rear headstock strap button on CBS models from the messy 1965~1968 years is not that unusual, don't worry. 😉

• Like 2