Why become a member? ×

John Mayall RIP

Just seeing news reports of John Mayall's death. Thankfully the music he made with the Bluesbreakers will never die. I've just enjoyed a good soak in it courtesy of YouTube. What a hero!

• Like 1

I like his 1960’s records, but I know very little about him, other than:

Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Taylor all played in his bands at some time or other.

He lived in a treehouse in Manchester as a teenager, up until he got married.

And he was reputed to have owned one of the largest collections of pørńögráphy in Britain until he move to the US.    

Rest In Peace, JM.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, godathunder said:

Hopefully he's jamming with JB somewhere.

That's a great choice! I was greatly angered by the Daily Telegraph obituary that popped up on my screen yesterday. It described JM's voice as thin and expressionless and his lyrics as badly crafted and banal. Obviously the writer hadn't listened to this moving track and doesn't even get the fact that blues music was born out of the mundane. Suffice to say that I've already forgotten the name of the guy who wrote the obit but I'll never forget the bluesman himself.

• Like 1

I had the great pleasure of playing with the great man's brother (an excellent keys player and all-round lovely bloke).  I can partially confirm the erotic literature collection - there was some of it in a studio in Derbyshire - this was many years ago.  I'd also been told that the brothers had a fairly unorthodox upbringing.  John was a true pioneer and without him, the UK music scene might have looked rather different

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

I was greatly angered by the Daily Telegraph obituary that popped up on my screen yesterday. It described JM's voice as thin and expressionless and his lyrics as badly crafted and banal. Obviously the writer hadn't listened to this moving track and doesn't even get the fact that blues music was born out of the mundane. Suffice to say that I've already forgotten the name of the guy who wrote the obit but I'll never forget the bluesman himself.

"JM's voice thin and expressionless and his lyrics as badly crafted and banal."? Typical of what one expects from snotty nosed public school boys who write for the broadsheets. JM was one of those responsible for bringing a lot of good and interesting music to our attention and for that he deserves our gratitude and thanks. He had a long life and lived it well. RIP John and thanks.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, three said:

I had the great pleasure of playing with the great man's brother (an excellent keys player and all-round lovely bloke).  I can partially confirm the erotic literature collection - there was some of it in a studio in Derbyshire - this was many years ago.  I'd also been told that the brothers had a fairly unorthodox upbringing.  John was a true pioneer and without him, the UK music scene might have looked rather different

I seem to recall reading that he kept a replaced kneecap on his mantlepiece. 

• Haha 2