Why become a member? ×

I'm having wiring troubles, please help!

Shire

Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the wiring of my Fender Musicmaster please?

I have just purchased a new SD pikup for it but I am having problems with the wiring in general I think.

I think that the pots are touching the copper shielding in the body of the bass causing it to stop working intermittently. Also I can only get it to work if I lift the edge of the pickguard with the jack input on up slightly. I have tried taping over the copper shielding to see ig this is the problem but before I rip it out (as its a neat job) I just thought I'd get some other opinions :rolleyes:

Here are some pics which will hopefully help you out. Please excuse the shoddy soldering, its my first attempt at something like this :)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

The middle legs on the 2 pots look to be touching each other so try to bend them apart slightly,and also signal side of the capacitor looks to be touching the pot casing.

I would suggest you ask a local Basschatter to help you out with your soldering, no offence intended!

Regards

Will.

I think 2x18 might be right. It looks like that capacitor might be pushed onto the pot casing when you screw the pickguard down.

You could verify this by sliding a piece of paper under the capacitor so that the wire that is not soldered onto the pot casing cannot touch the casing.

As far as I can see the wiring looks ok - the "official Fender" wiring is slightly different on the tone pot but I don't think it would actually make any difference to the sound.

[quote name='2x18' post='495556' date='May 22 2009, 09:01 PM']The middle legs on the 2 pots look to be touching each other so try to bend them apart slightly,and also signal side of the capacitor looks to be touching the pot casing.

I would suggest you ask a local Basschatter to help you out with your soldering, no offence intended!

Regards

Will.[/quote]

None taken! I have taken it over to Ped's house and we couldn't see a problem with it :)

The only part which might make contact when its reassembled is the orange part of the cap. This shouldn't make a difference though should it?

[quote name='BOD2' post='495580' date='May 22 2009, 09:28 PM']I think 2x18 might be right. It looks like that capacitor might be pushed onto the pot casing when you screw the pickguard down.

You could verify this by sliding a piece of paper under the capacitor so that the wire that is not soldered onto the pot casing cannot touch the casing.

As far as I can see the wiring looks ok - the "official Fender" wiring is slightly different on the tone pot but I don't think it would actually make any difference to the sound.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the cardboard trick and see if that makes any difference :rolleyes:

[quote name='steve-soar' post='495944' date='May 23 2009, 11:47 AM']Nice bass.[/quote]

Well it appeared that the earth connection on the input jack was touching the lead when it was inserted into the bass so a bit of bending sorted that out. I also re-soldered a couple of suspect joints just to be on the safe side. :)

I'll use it at our gig on thursday, but not without backup!

Thanks to everyone for your help :rolleyes: