Why become a member? ×

NBD: Stingray Bass

BassAdder60

Found this 2001 Musicman Stingray bass in Blue Pearl 3EQ and I’m very pleased with the condition for a 23yr old bass !

Neck, frets, rosewood fingerboard all in a near new condition ! 

Fresh 45-100 strings fitted and truss rod tweeked and intonation checked and she’s good to go as my main gigging bass 

Plays and sounds amazing and it was a sensible price too 

No EB Musicman case but such is life but it came with a serviceable gig bag ( and since typing this case has arrived too .. thank you GAK ) 

IMG_6249.thumb.jpeg.26f81d1757a67602a59cce482933480f.jpegIMG_6252.thumb.jpeg.5b46d6258ce5915e64147e5d9282f7ab.jpegIMG_6251.thumb.jpeg.02b00659276a3aff7d56d3b24be5cf23.jpegIMG_6250.thumb.jpeg.9fa6eab9bb2a156293bf1bf1fd33ee25.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 35

@BassAdder60 I notice you bought a teal Ray34 a week or so back and now you've bought this one.  First of all, you lucky b*stard!  Secondly, how does the Ray34 compare to the American one?  

I get the impression that older Stingrays and Ray34s can often be quite heavy?  The newer Stingrays seem to be a lot lighter but they are all approaching £3k

I love the look of Stingrays and I like bright coloured basses so there are plenty of Stingrays, both American and 34s that tempt me.  What concerns me is the weight and also that sometimes I want something more than a bridge humbucker.

20 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

@BassAdder60 I notice you bought a teal Ray34 a week or so back and now you've bought this one.  First of all, you lucky b*stard!  Secondly, how does the Ray34 compare to the American one?  

I get the impression that older Stingrays and Ray34s can often be quite heavy?  The newer Stingrays seem to be a lot lighter but they are all approaching £3k

I love the look of Stingrays and I like bright coloured basses so there are plenty of Stingrays, both American and 34s that tempt me.  What concerns me is the weight and also that sometimes I want something more than a bridge humbucker.

Yes the plan is to use the Ray34 as backup to the USA Stingray

They are both close to 10lbs in weight so not lightweight but I’m ok playing that weight for gigs.

They sound and feel very similar in fact in a band you wouldn’t tell the difference at all.  I wasn’t planning on getting the EB Musicman Stingray but after playing the Ray34 I discovered that I’m definitely a Ray guy so my PBass basses will be sold off soon.

I just love the clarity, depth and zing of the Ray and for me the necks are very PBass like so that works too. 

I can recommend the Ray 34 as a great choice but if you can find a secondhand EB Ray at a good price go for it ! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

They are both close to 10lbs in weight so not lightweight but I’m ok playing that weight for gigs.

They sound and feel very similar in fact in a band you wouldn’t tell the difference at all.  I wasn’t planning on getting the EB Musicman Stingray but after playing the Ray34 I discovered that I’m definitely a Ray guy so my PBass basses will be sold off soon.

I just love the clarity, depth and zing of the Ray and for me the necks are very PBass like so that works too. 

I can recommend the Ray 34 as a great choice but if you can find a secondhand EB Ray at a good price go for it ! 

I've read a lot of your posts over the last couple of years, and, correct me if I'm wrong, you have transitioned from P bass with pick to Ray with fingers.  I recall in another thread you were looking for a pick tone with fingers?  So have you found your holy grail?

Once, when buying a £700 Charvel in Romford, I had a look at an American Ray hanging from the wall.  It just oozed quality, I'm guessing the reason for the £1k extra over an American Fender is the extra work they must do on these things.  

Bit of a dream bass for me (that and a Euro Spector)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

When I had my brief dalliance with Stingrays that was my setup, US EBBM as main, Sterling Ray34 as backup. At home volumes there was a very slight more sharpness to the highs on the Ray34 but nothing that would ever be heard in the mix. Both pretty identical in feel & playability.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I've read a lot of your posts over the last couple of years, and, correct me if I'm wrong, you have transitioned from P bass with pick to Ray with fingers.  I recall in another thread you were looking for a pick tone with fingers?  So have you found your holy grail?

Once, when buying a £700 Charvel in Romford, I had a look at an American Ray hanging from the wall.  It just oozed quality, I'm guessing the reason for the £1k extra over an American Fender is the extra work they must do on these things.  

Bit of a dream bass for me (that and a Euro Spector)

Yep I tried hard with my PBass and switched from fingers ( reduced clarity ) to pick ( reduced fullness ) 

The Ray just gives me the depth and clarity with fingers to be my perfect fit 

• Like 2

Gorgeous, what fabulous looking Stingray. 

Amazing basses, and IMHO, great value at the mo on the used market. 

Maybe they’re out of favour a bit? Who knows…..I think they’re great. 👍 

• Thanks 1