Why become a member? ×

Pedals with DB

Hi all, this is a question that I'm going to ask here as you're all players of the big beast. 

I've been using pedals with my electric bass and they work well. When I tried the same pedal assortment with DB it seemed to such all the bass out. It's odd. 

I'm using a magnetic pickup into an EBS pre-amp (Stanley Clarke) then through an octaver, fuzz pedal and delay (not all on at the same time!).

Partly this could have been because the amp I was using was rubbish (Ashdowm RM 500 combo), so will try on the big rig when I get a quiet day. But any other ideas?

Are you using the pedals in the loop of the EBS or in front/behind the EBS? One option might be to put them in the loop and run the loop in parallel mode so you get a mixture of your original and affected signals. That should preserve the bottom end you are missing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPJ said:

Are you using the pedals in the loop of the EBS or in front/behind the EBS? One option might be to put them in the loop and run the loop in parallel mode so you get a mixture of your original and affected signals. That should preserve the bottom end you are missing. 

Brilliant idea. 

DB is way harder to amplify really well. I'd say get it sounding good without any pedals to start with, otherwise you'll never get a satisfactory effected tone.

My own experience is that 15 inch speakers just don't do it. I usually am on 12", sometimes a 10. Full range even better.

It can definitely be done, mind.. https://youtu.be/qKSUPy64W7M?si=oyU8RvLFBYWwwqc5