Why become a member? ×

Ohh FFS

Its easy to forget that BC is a nice calm place to speak to like minded, honest bass players. 

But needs must and i am selling some basses.  So, even though i have them here for consideration, and having been annoyed from the last experience of trying to sell on the dread cesspit of F-book, i put just one on there to test the water.

Straight away...scammer. FFS online anything is just a bloomin' PITA.  Not going to continue ever trying to sell on there. 

Probably half of the sales on Marketplace are scams.  Especially the cars.....rant over

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Facebook is fine for advertising my band activities and finding out what a few of my friends who no longer live locally are doing. I would never consider using it for anything else.

Yep.  Agree

Ive sold quite a few things on FB over the past few years. Once the scammers have got bored with me things settle down and ive had good results. It's fun to play along at the start but then it gets boring. 

Ive got to sell some keyboards soon and im sill considering doing it here first, even though I know its not quite what most would be looking for. Once it gets to FB I know I'll get a sale, but at the moment I just can't be bothered with it all the crap. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

I've sold quite a bit of bass gear via FB, only glitch was heading through to Glasgow for a drop off and the fella being a no-show. Think that was around 7 or 8 year back so I've got over the disappointment . Can't say I've been bothered by 'scammers' either but I keep any ads to the local/regional gear pages. 

5 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I wil gladly to buy your [item name]!
Pay by paypal adn my cousin's brother will be collection OK?

“Yeah, but there is an issue with the payment. Did you get the email with the link?…..”

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

“Yeah, but there is an issue with the payment. Did you get the email with the link?…..”

yep that was todays one.  He/it attached the following 'payment cleared' screenshot. Clever how he screenshot the background out of focus and the letters in focus ...oh hold on  quite obviously hand crafted in Microsoft paint.

image.thumb.png.7a666dcf284bf1d8ff397a2247eb3032.png

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Haha 5

Last year I was selling a car on FB Marketplace and I had a guy (being totally genuine) asking me to donate the car to him. 

Now if it was a £200 banger that was to get someone to A to B in a push I would understand the desperation but it was a 4 litre V8 that absolutely was not practical for any sort of sensible family driving. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BaggyMan said:

yep that was todays one.  He/it attached the following 'payment cleared' screenshot. Clever how he screenshot the background out of focus and the letters in focus ...oh hold on  quite obviously hand crafted in Microsoft paint.

image.thumb.png.7a666dcf284bf1d8ff397a2247eb3032.png

Don't these muppets think one might check one's PP account for payments before parting with the item?

3 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Don't these muppets think one might check one's PP account for payments before parting with the item?

I guess enough people fall for these scams to make them worthwhile?

I've bought and sold loads of stuff in FB marketplace and never had a problem. Other than the almost obligatory lowball offers. 

Maybe it's a cultural thing and the UK / US markets are much bigger target for scammers. Doesn't seem to happen here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've bought and sold loads of stuff in FB marketplace and never had a problem. Other than the almost obligatory lowball offers. 

I sold a few things during lockdown and didn’t have one spammer or time waster. Maybe they were all taking the time off as well 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bremen said:

It's even a mission trying to give stuff away on FB. I still have the bags of kindling that three individuals have said they're on their way to collect.

It's easy to do but finding someone who's appreciative is another thing. I just gave away about £700 of bedroom furniture and got a "thank you" akin to almost almost holding a door open.

17 hours ago, bremen said:

It's even a mission trying to give stuff away on FB. I still have the bags of kindling that three individuals have said they're on their way to collect.

We have a local swap shop, I found it easier to swap for a token item than give away for some reason.

mind you I did dismantle the old man next doors kitchen and was dreading multiple trips to the tip but someone came and took it off me. 

buying and selling is always a bit random. I’ve picked things up before and there’s a whole thing where both parties are so conscious of scammers it gets a bit akward!! 

On 27/07/2024 at 19:32, dave_bass5 said:

I sold a few things during lockdown and didn’t have one spammer or time waster. Maybe they were all taking the time off as well 😂

They were all furloughed. The government was paying them 80% of what they usually scammed from their victims...

Edited by bass_dinger
  • Haha 2