Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for Logic Pro training videos

rwillett

Am away on family holiday in Bridlington for a week. Father in law rented large house and theres three generations of family here in Bramston.

The intention was for somebody else to bring my bass and my daughters guitar along from our house, and I'd teach her some more chords and by end of week we'd write and play a simple song. Just to clear, this was just about having some nice time together not to storm the charts. Our car was full so we asked him.

Sadly aforesaid bloke, forgot to bring bass and guitar and I'm not doing a seven hour round trip back home, Bridlington doesn't appear to have a music shop selling instruments, Gumtree has nothing cheap I can buy to play with, and it's now Sunday. 

So I've ordered a cheap keyboard off Amazon, Necktar LX25+, I have never played keys in my life, so thought I'd learn a bit, I have my Macbook and Logic Pro (whatever the latest version is) but have only used Logic Pro for recording bass and guitars in as simple a manner as possible. 

I much prefer printed manuals and books but sadly the way of the world is that it's all video now. 

So does anyone have any recommendations for a Logic Pro video training course please. I don't mind paying for it so long as it's a good course but there appears to be around 56 million courses out there and I can't sort out the signal from the noise.

I can probably work out which keys play G, C and D for a song as my youngest has done a few piano lessons. 

Any pointers very much welcomed. 

Thanks 

Rob

That approach has served me well but I thought I'd actually try and learn how to use it properly for once.

I learnt Fusion 360 the hard way and still have issues at times so whilst away on vacation, I'm watching the Logic Pro videos previously suggested. I want to understand the foundations of how Logic Pro works and what a sensible work flow would look like. 

I will ask questions but I want to have at least a grounding before I do so

IME there is no "proper" way of using Logic. It's one of the great things about the program.

I share projects with our synth player and also our producer. We all have completely different ways of working with it. I've had to stop attending the vocal recording sessions that the synth player does with our singer because sometimes I find the way that he works compared with how I would tackle the same task incredibly frustrating. Neither of us are right or wrong in our approach. It's just that the program allows both as being equally valid.

I've done 4-5 of the YouTube videos and learnt some new stuff. I need to go through the rest of them though. The bloke is very good on the video sessions and its quite easy to follow. The problem is time, and having enough of it.

Once I got the KB connected to Logic Pro, which took all of around 30 secs, I then started trying to remember what few chords I knew and then spent a few hours tinkering about and ended up with a very soulful (but very simple) basis of a song. Bit of a surprise as my keyboard skills are basically nil.

Not touched it since I came back off holiday as I really, really, really want to get this headless bass finished, but since I had a plumbing issue over the weekend, had to sort that out first. £500 call out focussed my mind about sorting it out myself :) Spent a lot of time looking at how to dismantle and clean macerators. I will say no more.

Rob