Why become a member? ×

Dod Meatbox vs Aguilar Octamizer

Boodang

Not an entirely fair comparison but I’m just comparing the sounds from their respective octave outputs as opposed to the Dod’s sub synth. 
So, on a whim I bought a reissue Meatbox pedal (Bass Bros just happened to have one when I visited the other day). Ignoring the sub synth output (which I don’t think I’d want to put through my own rig for fear of destroying the speaker!) I compared the octave sound to that of the Octamizer. 
The issue I have with the Octamizer is that the octave sound is very ‘synthy’ as soon as you turn the octave level even a fraction (and that’s with the filter setting on it’s smoothest). Consequently I use the Octamizer in conjunction with a Fwonkbeta to create heavy synth sounds, stuff that’s not even remotely organic sounding. 
The Meatbox however doesn’t instantly jump out the gate as soon as you turn the octave level. Below 10 o’clock there’s a nice increase in the low frequencies without it sounding in the least synthy. Almost like just boosting the bass but underneath the octave signal is very organic sounding. Once you push the level it gets very like the Octamizer but almost like the filter is towards the sawtooth end. 
Set to 9 o’clock it’s such a nice organic sound it might become an always on pedal (early days yet tho). The sub synth I think is a little too much for me but I might try cranking it up when I’m going through someone else’s PA! 
Anyone else feel the same way about these pedals? I’ll do a full comparison review in a week or so when I’ve had more playtime with them. 

• Like 3

Keep us posted. I had a Meatbox and just could not work out how to incorporate it without hurting people. I never reached to using it subtly phase. I am interested. 

15 hours ago, Owen said:

Keep us posted. I had a Meatbox and just could not work out how to incorporate it without hurting people. I never reached to using it subtly phase. I am interested. 

I'm doing a gig on Friday and we have a long sound check period, so I'll be experimenting. I've tried it thru the rig at home and in theory have found a subtle setting but it'll be interesting to see how it sounds through the pa. 

So, got a great sound out of the meatbox at the gig but probably not using it how Dod intended! Basically not using the sub synth at all and just a bit of the octave gave a really punchy low bass tone which was still very organic. Using a Warwick thumb bo in passive mode and it still sounded like the bass just more ballsy. Definitely an always on pedal with these settings. 
I’ll do some comparison audio clips later in the week. 
IMG_0912.thumb.jpeg.f3dc6464b803c90323243b75f0160dfd.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Meatbox off;

Meatbox on;

These were recorded using my jazz fretless. For the last gig I was using a friend's fretted Warwick Thumb BO. The meatbox has is slightly more boomy sound when you sustain a note on the fretless which was a little less pronounced on the thumb. 

I'll record the same with the Thumb when I get mitts back on it for comparison purposes.

Edited by Boodang

25 minutes ago, Owen said:

I will have to plug into my big speakers! My laptop is not registering any difference :(

Yep, you'll need headphones! Also the effect is more subtle than you expect considering it's a Meatbox. Basically just more bloom in the bass register. 

I recorded it with flat wounds, on the first clip more top end clack to the notes, less so with the meatbox on.