Why become a member? ×

Benefits of usung fx send/return?

I have an Ashdown ABM600 evo iv which is easily the best amp I have owned. I also use a pedalboard with a bunch of boss compact pedals.

bassboard.thumb.jpeg.1c51ba8cd801d397819851345564b91a.jpeg

Until now I have always used two cables: one from the bass to the pedalboard, and one from the pedalboard to the amp input. When setting up last night it occurred to me that maybe I should be using the fx send/return instead. I'll pack an extra cable for the next rehearsal to try this, but I was wondering what difference this might make to the sound and how many people use the send/return on their amps, or have tried it and gone back to running the pedals into the amp's input?

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Floor pedals are configured to operate with the low voltage output of pickups. The voltage at the effects loop is much higher, at what's called line level, which is what rack mount processors operate at. Using floor pedals at line level can cause distortion.

• Like 5

The way to do it is as already mentioned ie time based fx like chorus delay or reverb sound better in the fx loop 

Drive and compressor in front of amp 

Amp FX loop is designed for that reason ie FX in the loop after the amp input and any drive and compression 

Musicians have been gigging like this for years especially guitarists who prefer an amps drive sound 

Try it both ways and decide but with a clean bass amp I don’t think you will hear much difference 

23 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

time based fx like chorus delay or reverb sound better in the fx loop 

Drive and compressor in front of amp

That's a matter of taste and specific application/context, it isn't a universal law.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

17 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

That's a matter of taste and specific application/context, it isn't a universal law.

No it’s not a “ law” it’s just a more recognisable way of a starting point instead of everything in the front end !

Placement of fx pedals is a personal choice but there are well known reasons that delay or time based fx sound better after drive but you can place them however you see fit ! 😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

No it’s not a “ law” it’s just a more recognisable way of a starting point instead of everything in the front end !

Placement of fx pedals is a personal choice but there are well known reasons that delay or time based fx sound better after drive but you can place them however you see fit ! 😉

And yet you go right on and claim they sound universally better that way. 

Again...

It's like you only read the last 4 words of my post.

As I already said it entirely depends on personal taste and specific application/context.

Drive after reverb and delay after reverb can sound freaking damn astonishing, it depends on the application and context though.

And personally I prefer chorus and other modulation before drive.

19 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

And yet you go right on and claim they sound universally better that way. 

Again...

It's like you only read the last 4 words of my post.

As I already said it entirely depends on personal taste and specific application/context.

I think we will just leave it at agree to disagree 😳😉😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I think we will just leave it at agree to disagree 😳😉😂

Drive after reverb and delay after reverb can sound freaking damn astonishing, it depends on the application and context though.

But you disagree with my taste, while your taste is the universal truth? :scratch_one-s_head:

What the f***... :shok:

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

But you disagree with my taste, while your taste is the universal truth? :scratch_one-s_head:

Well it’s my experience and if it differs from yours excellent!!

Choose however you wish to read into that what you may!!’ 🙄😂

On 28/07/2024 at 14:30, fretmeister said:

Drive and filters and compressor, octaves etcin front of the amp. Time based in the loop, delays, chorus etc.

That’s the usual way.

+1 to this .. 😉

I'm not going to go to the trouble of putting just the chorus through the send/return as I only use it to add some depth to the sound when the SY-1 is used to emulate an organ doubling the bass. I hadn't considered the difference in levels before asking the question, so I will take on board (no pun intended) what Bill said, and as I am not using rack fx requiring a line level input, I will continue to put the pedals between the bass and the amp input.