Why become a member? ×

Going lefty…! A happy, but sad post…

Hi all,

So this is a happy post that is tinged with sadness. During lockdown my father passed away. He was my inspiration for learning to play guitar and I have got to the stage of being pretty competent at both guitar and bass and have thousands of gigs under my belt, the gift of music was literally the best gift he could ever give!

Fast forward to today and I am delighted to be very soon reunited with his bass, all the way from South Africa. I will post pictures when it arrives, but it truly is a special instrument as I was there when it was measured up for him, in the basement of The Music Department, St Albans, by its maker, Patrick Eggle! I still very clearly remember Patrick getting out of the tape measure and measuring my dad‘s stomach so he could get the belly carve just right (cue many jokes about beer guts and late night post-gig takeaways!).

A good few months after that and the bass was ready, going on to gig hundreds of times with me on guitar alongside for many shows.

So now I have it in my possession (or at least I will soon) I need to set myself to the task of learning how to play again… Left-handed! It is going to be a really interesting challenge but one that I’m really looking forward to.

Has anyone else ever had to do this and if so does anyone have any particular tips?

apologies for the long post and thanks for reading!

James

Edited by El Capo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• El Capo changed the title to Going lefty…! A happy, but sad post…
5 hours ago, El Capo said:

Learning how to play again… Left-handed! It is going to be a really interesting challenge but one that I’m really looking forward to.

Has anyone else ever had to do this and if so does anyone have any particular tips?

Hi James,

First of all, sorry for your loss, but that's a lovely story and great memories.

I had a small guitar shop for a couple of years and always had some left handed stock available. Sometimes with beginners they wanted the guitars demonstrated. I was amazed at how quickly I became able to put a few chords together. I think with the motivation you have this may be easier than you expect. Good luck, and keep us all posted with your progress.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Do a reverse Hendrix with it. I am sure Dad wouldn't mind.

I did consider it, but somehow feels ‘wrong’ as the bass was always meant to be played lefty, but that’s the backup plan if I can’t get my head around it!

Again, sorry for your loss.

This is something I was going to do a few years ago. I even started analysing my left (fretting hand) position whilst playing and tring to copy it with my right.

I just flipped my bass over and tried to do simple things. I was going to buy a left handed shortscale, to see how it went

I didn't bother in the end but it is worth doing and I often think about trying it again. Imagine how cool it would be to flip to LH when playing a beatles song or two

I did actually meet someone, a few years ago, who was learning to play left handed because after a badly undiagnosed broken wrist (his dad was a Dr. and said it wasn't broken) he couldnt move his wrist properly after it had healed, so he chose to start to learn LH

Give it a go for sure

Hi James,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I think it's amazing that you are going to own something that was just so important to you and to your Dad. It's a real "link" and will have many happy memories attached to it, and it makes perfect sense for you to own it and treasure it.

My initial suggestion was going to be the same as @Downunderwonder - i.e. the reverse Hendrix solution. Of course, having read that the body was custom-shaped, that may also make things more difficult and make it uncomfortable to play. However, I think I'd be tempted to give it a try. Your other option is as you say, learn to play left handed. If it was me, I'd just try both those options, and see how you get on.

When I started in the world of bass, I had the opposite problem. I am left handed, but all I could afford was the cheapest right-handed, second hand bass I could find. At the time, Left-handed guitars (and even more so basses) were rarely seen in shops near me, and never in the used section. So I had to learn right-handed. I have to say, it felt natural and "right" to me anyway. I did have a noodle on a left-handed bass shortly after beginning, and it didn't feel as comfortable. I have since found that far from me being unique - there are quite a number of bassists and guitarists I have met, who started out in exactly the same way.

In another thread on here, and just out of interest, I learned that Andy McClusky of OMD fame started out on a Left-handed Jazz copy - because it was the only 2nd hand bass in the shop. So he just turned it upside-down to play it. Hence, he strings his bass the wrong way around.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Marc

A guitarist that I knew was a leftie but learnt to play right-handed. For some reason, he got it into his head that this was wrong (not because he played badly, he was very good, it was just some sort of fixation). Anyway, he bought a leftie guitar and re-learnt the other way round, and he got equally good with either orientation.

And, of course, there's always John Otway.

2018-06-01_0849.png

• Like 1

I think the current bass player in the Bootleg Beatles learned to play left-handed specifically for the job. And presumably now does so while simultaneously belting out harmonies and shaking his wig.

I've occasionally tried playing left handed  but usually quickly realize that I don't really need any extra challenges to my playing.

Hope it goes well for you - and maybe unlocks some unexpected other-side-of-the-brain creativity.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, sounds like you have some great memories together.

A guitarist I knew tried to learn lefty for Hendrix tribute reasons and got nowhere. I think it depends how dominant you are in your right hand. The coordination on different sides of the body can be very different. If you can pat your head and rub your tummy, great, now try changing which hand is doing which job. Might be difficult. I guess having a go is the only way to find out. And if it doesn't work flipping the nut and re-stringing is a non intrusive way to make it work for you. 

I'm left handed but play right handed.  When I was learning my teacher said that, as I hadn't played before, it would be wise to adapt to playing right handed.  I'm glad I took his advice.  He also said that you don't find any left handed pianos etc!  I now find it very awkward to even hold the bass in the lefty position!

Enjoy the instrument and the memories it contains and don't fret about being just like your dad.