Why become a member? ×

79 p bass on FB marketplace

Hi, Seems a bit cheap for a 79, pickup covers aren’t original , looks like it could be sienna burst, I’d suggest putting this in the vintage fenders thread for some more opinions Robert 

• Thanks 1

Quite cheap for a Fender P-Bass from that period.

Everything seems period correct from these photos, including the white pickup cover that was introduced in the early 80's.

The S9 serial number is not reliable at all and this bass could be from 1978 to 1981 and as it's got a white pickup cover, I may date it to 1981.

To date it more precisely you need to check the stamps, the pots code and other internally hidden clues.

At this price tag, I truly think that you can pull the trigger as as fast as you can.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi, Seems a bit cheap for a 79, pickup covers aren’t original , looks like it could be sienna burst, I’d suggest putting this in the vintage fenders thread for some more opinions Robert 

The pickup cover is original, Tony. 😉

• Like 1

Also it looks like the seller needs some money very quickly hence the super low price 

If you decide to pull that trigger, meet the seller and check the bass before buying, don't do a distant deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow thank you so much for the wisdom coming in fast from you guys here. Highly appreciated 

the guys seems genuine with no pressure. He’s fairly local so I can see it before dropping the money. 

and I’m really sorry I think I’ve posted this thread in the wrong place - apologies mods! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Robert Manning said:

Wow thank you so much for the wisdom coming in fast from you guys here. Highly appreciated 

the guys seems genuine with no pressure. He’s fairly local so I can see it before dropping the money. 

and I’m really sorry I think I’ve posted this thread in the wrong place - apologies mods! 

Cool, definitely worth having a look if it’s local, good luck and let us know how you get on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Cool, definitely worth having a look if it’s local, good luck and let us know how you get on 

thanks man will do! I’m genna head over to his and take a look. 
he’s never taken the neck off… so can’t confirm the date. I might see if he’s willing to let me do that… 

I found this sold on will’s site which essentially looks very similar with the white covers. which is reassuring. 

again thank you for the knowledge and advice. 

https://bassbros.co.uk/sold-basses/1981-fender-precision-bass/

• Like 2

You're welcome @Robert Manning.

If the seller is willing to let you use a screwdriver, check the pots code.

I'm pretty sure these are CTS pots as Fender was using them at the time, so starting with 137, the two next digits being the year and the last two the week, so something like 13781**

There should be a stamp too under the pickup, the last 2 digits being the year.

Check this ad for all the necessary information in photos: https://www.andybaxterbass.com/collections/fender-precision-bass/products/1979-81-fender-precision-cherry-sunburst

• Like 1

Absolutely do not send a deposit because the seller is busy for a couple of days.

This is a very common marketplace scam these days - advertise something ridiculously cheap then take multiple deposits before scarpering.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BreadBin said:

Absolutely do not send a deposit because the seller is busy for a couple of days.

This is a very common marketplace scam these days - advertise something ridiculously cheap then take multiple deposits before scarpering.

Absolutely,

I think the OP is going in person to see this one 

21 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Wouldn't there still have been pickup and bridge covers even in the early 80s? Can't see any holes near the bridge or pickup.

Nope, the new versions of Precision Bass and the Jazz Bass introduced in early 80's with the white pickup cover(s) didn't have any of these ashtrays anymore.

The pickguard was white and became even a single ply after some time around 1983.

The Jazz Bass ended up with a single ply white integral pickguard around 1983, so no more metallic control plate and the knobs were white too.

The colours proposed were Black, Brown Burst, Sienna Burst (reddish Sunburst) and Ivory, that's it.

But the quality construction was back after years of sloppy made instruments: thank you Dan Smith!

• Like 1