Why become a member? ×

Fiddly bass lines

Just learnt, sorry, just started to learn 'You Keep Me Hangin On' and oh my days, now I know what fiddly means. Kinda surprised that I've made any progress at all, I didn't know my fingers would take to being parked on the 1st and 4th frets at the same time 🤟 It's giving the lyrics a fresh layer of meaning for me, "you're just using me, hey abusing me" and all that 🥵

The Supremes version is not so fiddly. It was the Funk brothers playing on it but it doesn't sound like James Jamerson (then it would be fiddly but in a good way). It sounds like the bass was played with a pick, so may have been Carol Kaye.

The Rod Stewart version has a bassline that is extremely fiddly, so stay away from that one.

Edited by gjones

53 minutes ago, gjones said:

The Supremes version is not so fiddly. It was the Funk brothers playing on it but it doesn't sound like James Jamerson (then it would be fiddly but in a good way). It sounds like the bass was played with a pick, so may have been Carol Kaye.

The Rod Stewart version has a bassline that is extremely fiddly, so stay away from that one.

Carmine Appice (also of Vanilla Fudge) played drums on that Rod Stewart album, I wonder if that influenced covering it in the first place? 

The Vanilla Fudge version is my favourite version of this tune and also has a great bassline. Tim Bogert is one hell of a bassist! 

You Keep Me Hanging On, recorded in 1966, is Jamerson changing the world of bass from a supporting role to a feature at the front of the mix. It's not really "fiddly", he took that to another level with songs like Darling Dear and For Once In My Life, but it's busier than bass lines were up to that point.

If you're having trouble with any bass line you can slow  the YouTube video down, go to settings, or check out the "how to play" bass cover videos.

Edited by chris_b

This bloke runs through it; does that help..? ...

The decorations are basically the chord tones and chromatic runs. It would be totally admissible to play around with those two concepts, and it will sound (and be..!) fine. I would recommend looking into those concepts, which will help a lot when working on so many songs of the sort. That's what playing music is about, in the end, playing with one's own knowledge rather than learning by rote, 'parrot'-style. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gjones said:

The song was recorded in 1966, when Motown was still in Detroit, so almost certain to have been Jamerson. It could have been Bob Babbitt (the "other" Motown bassist, but it sounds like a Jamerson part). Carol Kaye played on some Motown records after the company relocated to California, but not whilst they were in Detroit afaik.

It doesn't sound like pick playing to me. The pick sound is probably due to the fact that Jamerson used dead strings (with foam under the bridge), a high action and damped with his right hand.

You keep me hanging on

From the 1967 Supremes album The Supremes sing Holland-Dozier-Holland (recorded in 1966).

Bass: James Jamerson

Source: Standing in the shadows of Motown, 1989. The book contains the bass score, which is half a page long (29 measures).

Browsing through the YouTube tab videos I notice that some notes are frequently considered optional, and that the only one that has all the notes is tabbed way up the neck. Playing it down near the nut, with all the notes, is giving my pinkie plenty to think about.

2 hours ago, Munurmunuh said:

Browsing through the YouTube tab videos I notice that some notes are frequently considered optional, and that the only one that has all the notes is tabbed way up the neck. Playing it down near the nut, with all the notes, is giving my pinkie plenty to think about.

You'll find errors, especially in tab, but some of the videos are accurate. You can get a general idea off some of them and build up the rest yourself.