Why become a member? ×

Finding a band to join

Not sure if this is the right place, or if there's a sticky for this, but I couldn't find one.

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on good places to find bands to join?

I've advertised on Joinmyband and looked on Bandmix but there's nothing about. I guess I'm hoping there's another avenue that I haven't heard of yet.

My band split 3 months ago and I'm itching to get gigging again! 

• Like 1

You could try posting on here - The Performance section has a sub section called ‘Musicians Wanted’

and there you’ll find ‘Bassists Available’. Worth a try.

• Like 3

IME the success of any method to join a band very much depends what sort of music you want to play, what sort of commitment you want from your band mates, where you live, and how far you are prepared to travel. However a lot of the time it comes down to networking and not being a dick. If the band you want to join know who you are from previous musical ventures, know that you are going to be ok to get on with and can perhaps bring something on top of your bass playing abilities to the band you are more likely to be offered the place over someone they have less idea about.

I currently play in two bands. One of them was a band who I was a fan of and was following on Facebook (see it is useful for something), so I saw their post when they were looking for a new bass player. The other found me through my JMB ad. I had been very specific about the sort of music I wanted to play and what sort of ambitions and commitment I was looking for in a band. However when it came to the actual auditions, the fact that both bands knew who I was from my previous musical activities (my last band had shared the bill at various times with both bands I was hoping to join) gave me the edge over the other candidates.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, casapete said:

You could try posting on here - The Performance section has a sub section called ‘Musicians Wanted’

and there you’ll find ‘Bassists Available’. Worth a try.

Thanks, I didn't even think of that, kind of assumed everyone on here was a bass player. Certainly worth a shot. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IME the success of any method to join a band very much depends what sort of music you want to play, what sort of commitment you want from your band mates, where you live, and how far you are prepared to travel. However a lot of the time it comes down to networking and not being a dick. If the band you want to join know who you are from previous musical ventures, know that you are going to be ok to get on with and can perhaps bring something on top of your bass playing abilities to the band you are more likely to be offered the place over someone they have less idea about.

I currently play in two bands. One of them was a band who I was a fan of and was following on Facebook (see it is useful for something), so I saw their post when they were looking for a new bass player. The other found me through my JMB ad. I had been very specific about the sort of music I wanted to play and what sort of ambitions and commitment I was looking for in a band. However when it came to the actual auditions, the fact that both bands knew who I was from my previous musical activities (my last band had shared the bill at various times with both bands I was hoping to join) gave me the edge over the other candidates.

Thanks, some great info there. My plan after the last band ended was to try and get in to 2 or 3 bands to get my name out there if something I really want to do pops up. I definitely need to put more effort in to networking though.

I'm definitely willing to travel around, so may have to look further afield. I'm only 30 miles away from London, but travelling to London for rehearsals and gigs would end up costing me a fortune. Might have to consider it though.

12 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

gumtree and JMB always worked for me in the post but the listiings are dreadfully thin on the ground now 

Never thought of Gumtree, I'll check it out.

You're right though, not many people looking for bass players at all, except young bands that only want 18-25 year olds!

1 hour ago, Berserker said:

Thanks, some great info there. My plan after the last band ended was to try and get in to 2 or 3 bands to get my name out there if something I really want to do pops up.

However, don't spread yourself too thinly or you might end up annoying all your bands if you are constantly juggling your time between them. Any decent band will be out gigging almost every weekend, which leaves little time for anything else serious. I get away with two bands because both are of a similar genre and if we have gigs on the same day it going to be at the same event (something that has happened twice so far). I'm also realistic enough to know that if either band suddenly become more prolific or popular I'm going to have part company with the other one.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

However, don't spread yourself too thinly or you might end up annoying all your bands if you are constantly juggling your time between them. Any decent band will be out gigging almost every weekend, which leaves little time for anything else serious. I get away with two bands because both are of a similar genre and if we have gigs on the same day it going to be at the same event (something that has happened twice so far). I'm also realistic enough to know that if either band suddenly become more prolific or popular I'm going to have part company with the other one.

Great point. I'm used to bands that only want to gig once a month or so, so a couple of bands would be doable. If I found a busier band I'd have to make sure I committed to them.

2 hours ago, Berserker said:

Never thought of Gumtree, I'll check it out.

You're right though, not many people looking for bass players at all, except young bands that only want 18-25 year olds!

I think that's genre specific really.

The originals rock / metal crowd is certainly mostly that age bracket.

But for the more, ahem, mature player, there's more options in blues, jazz, folk. They also don't seem to give a crap about the age of the members.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Any particular groups on Facebook, or just follow local bands?

I got my "in" because I was following the band as I was a fan of the music. I also follow a few genre specific groups (in my case goth/post-punk) as well as local gig guide pages, at the moment mostly to get gigs for my bands,  and have seen ads for band members on all of these. 

• Like 1

great thread and answers, really sorry I've been very quiet on here since I joined last year. I've been looking for people to jam, learn from as I'm a total newbie and not very good at playing, but would love to jam, so I find it hard to find anyone as I'm obviously not good enough for a band. Once again so sorry I've been so quiet on here, I've been juggling practicing and doing my allotment 😁

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Any particular groups on Facebook, or just follow local bands?

In Bristol there’s a really vibrant musicians chat group. That’s where I found two bands I’m currently in. (Was 3, one broke up!)

I’m guessing it’s a case of searching them out, but there’s nothing on Gumtree or Join My Band that compares.

Perhaps if you said where you live people could offer some insight?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The originals rock / metal crowd is certainly mostly that age bracket.

But for the more, ahem, mature player, there's more options in blues, jazz, folk. They also don't seem to give a crap about the age of the members.

I wouldn't necessary agree with that. If you have the right attitude and the appropriate level of commitment to suit the other band members IME age isn't really a barrier at all these days. I've been the oldest member of all the originals bands I've been in over the past 15 years (I'm now in my 60s)  with the other band members ages ranging from 17 to just a few years younger than me. Most of the time I have been the member least likely to have to turn a gig down due to other commitments. Besides the current image trend means that most rock/metal band members look like they are in their 50s even if they are 30 years younger.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

In Bristol there’s a really vibrant musicians chat group. That’s where I found two bands I’m currently in. (Was 3, one broke up!)

I’m guessing it’s a case of searching them out, but there’s nothing on Gumtree or Join My Band that compares.

Perhaps if you said where you live people could offer some insight?

Good point, I'm based in High Wycombe, Bucks. Just looking at some local musician groups now... So obvious I didn't think of it 🤦‍♂️

In case there isn't much on Gumtree/Facebook to apply for doesn't mean they're meaningless as a resource to advertise yourself as well. I put a detailed(ish) description of what I was after for my current band on Gumtree and they contacted me. They didn't have any ads up. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

In case there isn't much on Gumtree/Facebook to apply for doesn't mean they're meaningless as a resource to advertise yourself as well. I put a detailed(ish) description of what I was after for my current band on Gumtree and they contacted me. They didn't have any ads up. 

Cheers mate, I'll have a good look after work 👍🏻

• Like 1

The most success I have is by attending jam nights. Some of the best bands I’ve ever been in started life at jams. I was asked to join my current band by two chaps I met first at a jazz jam, who then asked if I could be house bass player for a night at a funk jam, and then I was asked if I would to join them in a newly forming band. I now count them all as friends.

Same with the last band, and numerous others over the years.

Rob

19 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

You could hang around outside the White Horse and see if anyone needs a bass player!

The White Horse has closed down, and they didn't do any live music for the last few years, just ropey old strippers! 

5 minutes ago, Berserker said:

The White Horse has closed down, and they didn't do any live music for the last few years, just ropey old strippers! 

Awww, no!  In my day (1997-2000) it still called itself "Wycombe's Marquee" and had bands on every weekend.  It still had the, ahem, exotic dancers on at luchtime.

I don't suppose you remember Paradiddles Music Store on Castle Street?

• Like 1