Why become a member? ×

deep, dark, heavy jazz bass pickup

bremen

Any tips for a really deep sounding neck pickup for a Jazz? (Think Family Man Barret's sound on Bunny Wailer's Blackheart Man)

I have a Quarter Pounder on my P and that's pretty heavy. A neck position pickup on a Jazz should be even weightier. no?

There's a Pure Vintage '66 Jazz Bass pup on ebay, would that description fit?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Names skips my mind now but the company that took over from Wizard did a dark one.  Think it was called the 74 or 84?

Found it

https://www.eternal-guitars.com/product-page/jb-84-jazz-bass-pickup

Thanks, they describe what I want to hear...

...as do the Gemini, have you (Pow and Baloney) tried either of these?

Edited by bremen
  • Like 1

I also liked SD Lightnin' Rods for a fuller, high output J sound, active pickups though so although they can be used without a preamp you will need a 9v battery. Had them in my old fretless and it definitely had more beef.

Are you looking to add a neck J to your P, or are you looking for a set of pups for a J that will give you a darker tone? If it's for a J then you might want to look at getting a series parallel switch added to your circuit. I did this and it definitely adds a lot more beef to my J.

5 hours ago, bremen said:

Any tips for a really deep sounding neck pickup for a Jazz? (Think Family Man Barret's sound on Bunny Wailer's Blackheart Man)

I have a Quarter Pounder on my P and that's pretty heavy. A neck position pickup on a Jazz should be even weightier. no?

There's a Pure Vintage '66 Jazz Bass pup on ebay, would that description fit?

Thanks!

I very much doubt the 66 Pure Vintage will do that - you’d likely need an overwound pickup for a darker sound. Though it messes with the mids a bit, so not for everyone. 

Things is Aston used a stock pickup, and his tone came from a ton of variables. I had a cool conversation will Al Anderson once and when we chatted about Aston’s tone he was like “he’d take the mids off everything and whack the bass right up!”.

Family Man was the man. 

• Like 1

I’ve studied Aston’s playing for years and he was amazing imo, he played mainly a very early 70s jazz bass, I’ve read on a few occasions that the bridge cover still had the foam in (but I can’t verify that) , and he also used flatwounds and played close to the neck , my guess is he just used the neck pickup and bridge and tone off ,  when I use my jazzes I have the bridge pickup off and tone rolled back, I also just back off the neck pup just a touch and it gives me a fatter deeper sound 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking to replace the neck pickup in a Jet J bass, lovely playing bass but just not as weighty as I like compared to my P with quarter Pounder.

Family: Yes his tone was certainly "in the fingers". I've got close with a bitsa I made when I was playing in a (frankly terrible) reggae band, with a mm pickup slightly North of the P pickup position and playing softly over the 20th fret.

But I know he played a Jazz, and was wondering what sort of pickup would do that sublime solid, dense sound. Like on Exodus. And Blackheart Man. A bass sound that comes in through the pores, not the ears.

• Like 1

I’d say his sound is a combination of different things and his amazing playing style,

just a suggestion, I don’t know the technical stuff, would it be possible for you to have your pickup rewound to your specification ie darker 

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the Dimarzio Model Js, I have them in my old Warwick Streamer. They're dark but not muddy, and have a lot of output. If you connect the coils in series it's getting close to a P sound.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve studied Aston’s playing for years and he was amazing imo, he played mainly a very early 70s jazz bass, I’ve read on a few occasions that the bridge cover still had the foam in (but I can’t verify that) , and he also used flatwounds and played close to the neck , my guess is he just used the neck pickup and bridge and tone off ,  when I use my jazzes I have the bridge pickup off and tone rolled back, I also just back off the neck pup just a touch and it gives me a fatter deeper sound 

Missed you saying this mate. Yes!

Wish I'd understood how to dial in a Jazz bass effectively when I owned one. It was a long long time ago ☺️

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

Yes, that's probably part of Family's tone. But it doesnt work with my current pickup, just becomes muddy.

Thanks for the dimarzio tip. Though I'm in a rabbit hole now...found something called a dimarzio ultra that promises a lot

On 30/07/2024 at 13:34, pn_day said:

Some of the hum-cancelling jazz pickups tend to have a 'darker' sound due to the presence of a 2nd coil.

DiMarzio Model-J for example has less top end, and so could be called 'dark' compared with a classic single coil.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/jazz-bass-hum-canceling/dimarzio-model-j

21 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Pair of DiMarzio's in the FS...

They are mine now. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 30/07/2024 at 12:24, bremen said:

Think Family Man Barret's sound on Bunny Wailer's Blackheart Man

Thing is what tone are you hearing...studio? Live? I bet you anything u like he plays a bog standard J bass and that tone is all the making of the sound dude on the board... either in the studio or at the festival.

In terms of a darker sound, an overwound Jazz Bass pickup will give more output with a pronounced midrange and noticeably less treble, and you can then eq in some more bass if required. Aguilar make some pretty good ones.

However, so much of getting a good reggae tone is about how you pluck the strings and an overall feel for the music. In some ways having a really good bass makes it harder to get an "authentic" sound. None of the guys in Jamaica were using fancy equipment, just making the most of whatever they had and being creative.

FWIW, I've got a Fender '74 AVRI Jazz Bass with Thomastik flats on that came with Fender '74  reissue pickups on and it sounds great for reggae and retro Jazz Bass tones in general. 

Posted (edited)

I might have been a bit misleading in my original post...

Not actually looking to get a sound like Family did; I'm not playing reggae so I'm not playing like him. I was looking for a pickup that could give as much pure low end as heard on some of his recordings.

Point taken that eq is a big part of it, and that it's in the fingers...just don't think my current pup could emulate that solid sound no matter how skilfully the pultec is tweezed or how much I practise his technique.

Anyway. There's a dimarzio ultra bass in the post, thanks to the lovely Jay Syncro of this parish.

Thanks to all!

Edited by bremen