Why become a member? ×

MODS pls move. High Tech materials that have changed your lives for the better or failed.

JottoSW1

On 02/08/2024 at 09:04, Dan Dare said:

It's also quite resonant, especially higher modulus carbons. The sections of my Daiwa Tournament fishing pole ring like a bell if you tap them with a finger. That's not a good thing in a speaker cab. Again, varying the mix of fibres and resins, together with bracing can alleviate this, but that will increase weight and negate the main advantage of lightness. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

GRBASS use a laminated construction with a foam between the carbon layers. Presumably this has a big effect deadening resonance.  If you tap it it doesn't sound much different from a traditional cab.

Odd I thought I was quoting @Chienmortbb...

Also, I would say that when my cab finally dies, I'd be likely to go with their bamboo version, if only because I am an environmentalist by profession...

Edited by Stub Mandrel

On 31/07/2024 at 20:50, JottoSW1 said:

So if you want to gig a GR you'll need a high grade flight case made utilising similar material which means how light is your GR plus a REALLY expensive flight case. And you'll realise GR should/could be finished with fancy faced and finished ply wood or Tuffcab ....I'm sort of kidding btw

I just have their lightly padded slip cover.

On 31/07/2024 at 20:53, JottoSW1 said:

Thankfully builders like Barefaced, LFSys, BFM etc push the boundaries in sensible ways. 

I know I'm comming across as a GRBASS fanboi, but they do bamboo cabs as well....

The rowing boats i waffled about up thread were a very well made hot moulded semi monocoque... marketed as nature's natural composite. Sure there are still Carl Douglas boats being made, see adverts on Google.

Bamboo- I rode a Bamboo road bike the day before the London Brighton Cycle ride 10 plus years ago. This was designed for a time trialler sooo uncomfortable.  The relatively unfit owner suffered badly and then scared the bejesus out of himself on the final / nearly terminal descent towards the sea. If you are brave you can get a lot of speed.....

So Bamboo is a wonderful natural resource,  how is it utilised by GR Bass ? I.e. what is the adhesive used to make engineered Bamboo laminate (for want of a better word) easy to finish prettily even a nice Veneer like ye olde boats. 

Nice talking to ya

12 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

So Bamboo is a wonderful natural resource,  how is it utilised by GR Bass ? I.e. what is the adhesive used to make engineered Bamboo laminate (for want of a better word) easy to finish prettily even a nice Veneer like ye olde boats. 

Hoof glue for all I know... it is unlikely to be more environmentally unpleasant than the polyester resins used for carbon fibre.

Not now the product regulation is so voluminous but who knows in 15yrs time , allegedly safe product that will do unexpected s*it . Not referring to GR Bass specifically.  I would love a dubster too so no barefaced prejudice here BTW 

So you could attack it with a ball peen hammer a few times and it would still "work"

I'd prefer that to happen to my bamboo derived gr bass cab. Buying one is a bad idea typed ten to the power of ten times. As I reckon engineered bamboo would make an excellent baffle for starters.

Nice chatting to you btw.

• JottoSW1 changed the title to MODS pls move. High Tech materials that have changed your lives for the better or failed.
On 03/08/2024 at 02:46, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Where tone wood is concerned  I've found that the lower the wood density the more absorbent it is of mids and highs, and the lower it is in sustain. Conversely the higher the density the brighter the tone and the better the sustain. I like a bright tone and long sustain, so I made my bass from rosewood, which is so dense it barely floats. That also would make it a back breaker if solid, so I made it of neck through construction with hollowed bouts, similar to Rickenbacker. It might not be everyone's cuppa, but it's served me well going on 25 years.

A drummer friends dad was an artist / academic in North london.  I accidentally knocked an African ironwood mask off a staircase wall and it hit the ground floor quarry tiles. I thought in terms of bass guitar disasteromundo... picked it up to pass it to him and go 'oh fk it's ironwood so it landed just on that quarry tile over there' ha ha

Thread will ideally move to off topic or at a stretch other musical items...see amended title 

New seditionary question.

A stage invader at your big chance gig has perhaps malign intent.

Do you a) hit him with something close to hand or b) emulate Sid Vicious in great rocknroll swindle.

If B , bolt on neck, through or set neck or carbon fibre thru neck. Or someone else's instrument???

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Buying what is a bad idea?

A carbon fibre cab? I'll remember to book my next flight on a deHaviland Comet...

I'd be rather more perturbed about a current Boeing operated by a shifty airline at present (leaving out generally crappy airtravel experiences as a given sort of a hazard)

15 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Thread will ideally move to off topic or at a stretch other musical items...see amended title 

New seditionary question.

A stage invader at your big chance gig has perhaps malign intent.

Do you a) hit him with something close to hand or b) emulate Sid Vicious in great rocknroll swindle.

If B , bolt on neck, through or set neck or carbon fibre thru neck. Or someone else's instrument???

This is the primary function of a Fender Precision, the secondary function being to hammer in tent pegs. As I don't possess one, I am defenceless.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, tauzero said:

This is the primary function of a Fender Precision, the secondary function being to hammer in tent pegs. As I don't possess one, I am defenceless.

You dont posess a tent as you can afford vip glamping ?

ok yes and a Precision could possibly work 2 or 3 times which should suffice. My p5 sire, roasted neck would break easier in these circumstances wouldn't it ??

Ideally thru neck modulus style? Or status carbon this would work efficiently several times as might be needed

Edited by JottoSW1

On 03/08/2024 at 20:15, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

A de Havilland Mosquito is more pertinent to the conversation. It shows what can be accomplished with bent surfaces and bracing without exotic, heavy or expensive materials.

Thank you, saves me finding the exact analogy. These aircraft undoubtedly came accidentally unglued with terminal consequences but this was wartime and it was a wonderful artefact of a great designer and company too...

Doesn't / didn't Tolex come unglued even from an otherwise wondrous Barefaced cabinet. I guess they didn't use tuffcab because it WILL make cab heavier .??

On 03/08/2024 at 20:15, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

A de Havilland Mosquito is more pertinent to the conversation. It shows what can be accomplished with bent surfaces and bracing without exotic, heavy or expensive materials.

It took a while for the various glues and bonding agents resins etc to be totally up to the job. Germans used ply in too late to be useful ww2 fighter projects utilising adhesive films of some sort He162 ? That was a more formidable little deathtrap and could have been tactically significant for a while except nazis had run out of trained pilots etc etc Thank Goodness.

Nice talking with you @Bill Fitzmaurice

1 hour ago, JottoSW1 said:

Doesn't / didn't Tolex come unglued even from an otherwise wondrous Barefaced cabinet. I guess they didn't use tuffcab because it WILL make cab heavier .??

Tolex did come unglued from BF cabs, I think they changed the glue and that stopped it. Tuffcab isn't zero weight, but Tolex is also subject to gravity. You'd have to ask @alexclaber why he uses Tolex.

I would love to visit and have a semi educated poke around at rather intricate innards. Not really proprietary because anyone can buy one and reverse engineering is a thing see tupolev b29 bomber rip off (lawsuit era ha ha ha) as an exemplar 

35 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

And Tolex is engineered to be thin and resilient and therefore lighter than a more durable  thickly-ish applied alternative. I'm guessing here btw

I thought facts might be useful here. Leatherette is somewhere round 530gsm. Taking the BC 112 v3 cab (because I've built one and I know the measurements), you need a bit under 1kg of Tuffcab for it, whereas it's about .84m² to be covered (sides, top & bottom, back) which works out as .45kg. So maybe half a kilo difference between Tuffcab and Tolex for a 1x12.

Thank you for that most concise and informed post. Do u "do" Facebook.??

Nice to talk to eminent voices. Someone on this thread may attract the interest of aged horse or chimike .

I would LOVE to talk to Alex from barefaced. I will not want a Dunster / Dubster autocorrected or otherwise because I already have an (overkill) Trace 1528 which is 2 person easily shifted ha ha