Why become a member? ×

MODS pls move. High Tech materials that have changed your lives for the better or failed.

JottoSW1

1 minute ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Tolex will rip, and when it does it's nigh impossible to fix. Tuffcab when gouged can be touched up. That's why I went to the US equivalent, DuraTex, 20 odd years ago.

I saw recommendations about Duratex many years ago, possibly from yourself on TB but it is not available here. Having used Tuffcab many times, I can recommend it.

Why anyone would want to faff around with composition other than to suit their spray etc and application facilities. 

Hello Bill. Nice to chat....

Old tech. You will remember that Empire of Cartridges Fame made some monolithic turntables 695 675 ..?? Did you use / see / like these.

I have my dads one, Empire tonearm and all and even a 1970s spare v v long drive belt . motor pabst synchronous is screwd pabst said unobtainium when my late Pa asked them nicely. I mentioned it on an audiophile (ha ha) forum and they said buy upgrade kit available USA 'it will sing" they said.

Opinion advice ???

Thanks John de Villiers

1 hour ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I'm not one to jump back on board the vinyl train.

I never disembarked. Record playing as I type. I'm not a flat earther, but I have a lot of nice stuff on vinyl that I still enjoy listening to.

• Haha 1

On 05/08/2024 at 17:35, tauzero said:

I thought facts might be useful here. Leatherette is somewhere round 530gsm. Taking the BC 112 v3 cab (because I've built one and I know the measurements), you need a bit under 1kg of Tuffcab for it, whereas it's about .84m² to be covered (sides, top & bottom, back) which works out as .45kg. So maybe half a kilo difference between Tuffcab and Tolex for a 1x12.

Not definitive unless we know what proportion of tuffcab is solvent that evaporates?

Answer from the MSDS, it's 45% water by weight, when dry 1kg probably becomes closer to around 0.6kg, plus Tolex needs adhesivewhich will account for a few tens of grams, so the real world difference is probably negligible.

On 31/07/2024 at 02:34, JottoSW1 said:

How light is really absolutely  required / necessary ??

After I slipped a disc, 5kg was about the most I could carry for a couple of years, so I gigged with a GR AT110 carbon fibre cabinet - it was pricey, but it sounded pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A solution to a specific problem. I would love one of these to not lend to my gigging musician Pal . As a semi professional person he likes my line6 ld110 just fine. Left the ld150 12" speaker bigger brother and a laney cab plus my bass . Have realised laney is coming back sssooon and ld150 can be a keyboard monitor.

Or he keeps both for swappsies 2 old drum machines.

He's still selling a beautiful guitar BTW RWDUCED by 250quid

Edited by JottoSW1
REDUCED !! BY £250 POunds

Next proposition - f1 and (for this conversation) racing bikes of various types are sexy tech to enthusiasts. All of these are more or less practical transport.

There are potential mammals (including female cyclists here so not I emphasise mamils) who like bicycles. These play Bass and chat on here.....

You will have seen wealthy silliness ( like me with a left handed wal or sei flamboyant ) but bicyclist. 

Me a guy I saw going 2 2 fast in a Borisconi cycle lane in London on a carbon pinarello. 2nd time I saw him saw type of pinarello and asked him about small frame ruck sack he was using hi tech for long distance athletes made partly from carbon too.

Fast Cyclists to Commuters to mamils can you see dangers not associated with expenditure that were eminently possible.?

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2024 at 12:16, JottoSW1 said:

Thank you, saves me finding the exact analogy. These aircraft undoubtedly came accidentally unglued with terminal consequences but this was wartime and it was a wonderful artefact of a great designer and company too...

Doesn't / didn't Tolex come unglued even from an otherwise wondrous Barefaced cabinet. I guess they didn't use tuffcab because it WILL make cab heavier .??

Barefaced Tolex comes unstuck because they do it wrong. I'm a happy user of their cabs and don't care about the peeling but a simple mod to their covering procedure would sort it overnight. I think it's just become part of their charm.

So I mentioned expensive well finished racing shells

Carl Douglas Racing Shells

MENU

HomeBoatsPicture Gallery

PICTURE GALLERY

Saw incredibly proud of the boats and fittings we produce. Handcrafted using traditional wood and modern materials, no two boats are ever the same and most of our fittings are produced in-house. Our gallery features a small selection of photos of boats we have produced, including some of the innovative inlays our customers have challenged us with, as well as some insight into how our fittings are produced. Click on photos to enlarge

Do you have a favourite photo of your CD in action? If so we'd love to hear from you and add a picture of your boat to our client gallery.

CONTACT US

+44 (0) 1932 570946

[email protected]

Harris Boat Yard,

Laleham Reach, Chertsey

Surrey, KT16