Number of amp + cab or combo  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Number of rigs

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Cetera

I now have an Orange amp and cab (valvey old school), a Markbass combo and extension (more flexible sounds) and incoming Gallien combo (for DB). Just wondered if the collective BC wisdom is that this is excessive or just standard for us bass-type folks?

• Like 1

I've only got the one (Ashdown ABM-600 and Zilla 212), purely because I'd be in so much trouble with my wife if I brought a second home 😅

If I was single or we had a bigger house, I'd love to have more rigs.

• Like 2

It’s whatever floats your boat I guess, I’m down to 2x LFSYS monza cabs, puma 900, and genz shuttle 9.2 and a streamliner.All of my needs covered very well. One cab is more than enough for rehearsals /pubs and two when i want to spoil myself 😂x

• Like 4

Just my Fender Rumble v3 500 combo, and the old Peavy Databass combo it replaced - which is buried under stuff in the garage, as a spare just in case

Edit: I love how you've added a "cetera" option on the survey 😂

Edited by Norris
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have two, I don't even use amps live! Originally kept hold of my TC BH250 and EA CXL110 (with Basslite) just for playing at home after selling my MarkBass gear and switching to IEMs, however I wanted a more capable cab arrangement for rehearsals and was looking for a suitable 1x10 to add to the mini rig. Then saw a PJB C8 Lite on here and bought it, however the BH250 wasn't really doing the big cab justice at higher volumes so snagged a BH800 as well.

That's how I ended up with two rigs I never gig with, may have some dep stuff on the horizon though so I may be using an amp again. I also have a QSC K10.2 which is currently loaned to a mate for his e-drums, so realistically that's 3 rigs.

Shameful really.

Main gigging rig Orange terror and GRBASS AT212 slim.

Backup amp - Trace Elliot Elf.

Red stripe Trace Elliot 1110 / GP11 combo.

Orange Crush 20.

Home made 4x3 combo.

Joyo Bantamp 50W hybrid head with PJB C2 (2x5) cab.

Also a Hotone micro bass head.

If mixing and matching I am so far into the cetera zone it isn't funny.

One cab I can leave outside a venue unattended with no concern anyone will flog it. It's not worth the trouble to sell. I was going to donate it to the community centre so I would have a cab there, but they did not want it.

• Haha 1

I've got three heads, three cabs, a combo, a pedal board and a couple basses - so ticked the Cetera as that's about twenty different combinations! Generally I play whatever floats my boat from week to week, although do tend to leave cabs & the combo at rehearsal spaces etc. while the pedal board stays fairly constant.

• Like 1

One and it's not really a rig just a powered FRFR PA cab. It only gets used for rehearsals and the smaller gigs one of my bands does. 

For the other band I go direct into the PA both in rehearsal and at gigs.

Before that I had 3 full bass rigs and a guitar rig, costing many thousands of pounds even though much of it was bought second hand. When I sold it all because I was going Helix and FRFR I made an overall profit. I can't ever see myself going back to a traditional rig and if I could persuade the first band to ditch the rest of the backline I'd probably get rid of the FRFR too.

I’ve put two as have gone for full set ups, my amp & cabbage is:

Fender Rumble 800 Combo

Ashdown RM500 head

Warwick Gnome 280 head 

Ashdown PRO NEO 210 x 2

The Ashdowns are up for sale though, once gone will look for a Barefaced 210.

Edit - having thought about this I’ve decided to keep hold of the Ashdowns for now

Edited by Lozz196

I’ve put three but it’s not clear cut because I have 4 heads and 2 cabs, so a multitude of options really…

Heads:
Trace Elliot TE1200

Handbox WB100

Trace Elliot Elf

Ashdown Little Bastard (soon to be on loan to @eude, then willl be going up for sale)

Cabs:

Barefaced Two10S

Barefaced Super Twin

Realistically the Elf is only used with the Two10, the TE1200 only with the ST, and Handbox can be used with either cab. I suppose that’s 4 then 😂

However I try to justify this it's going to be the 'too many' option, but I choose to see it as 4 rigs...

- Markbass 1x12 combo for those jump in a taxi type gigs. Probably all I strictly need as it would cover most gigs I play.

- Barefaced G2 Super 12 and Midget as either a 3x12 stack for anything big, a 1x12 for anything small, or a 2x12 for anything medium.

- Barefaced One10 (x2) for rehearsals as they fit in a lockable flightcase that I can wheel into the studio store and leave there.

- Barefaced Two10 because I wanted a one-hand-portable version of my rehearsal cabs to keep at home, ready for medium-small gigs.

And then a few lightweight amp heads to use with the cab combinations.

Though I'm currently considering moving the combo and the 2x One10 stack on, and just using the Midget and Two10 in their respective places as they're essentially the same things. Could be down to 2 before long!

Four heads:

Burman Pro400HD 
Genz Benz Shuttle 6 (x2) (main gigging amps)
Trace Elliot Hexavalve

Cabs: 
fEARless F112 x2 (still the best sounding cabs I have ever played through)

Edit: Forgot Kemper Stage Profiler (with Line 6 wireless and Sure GLX IEM) + Line 6 M5 - this can be routed through the Aux In of the Shuttles if I don't want to use in ears.

Nominally four - I gig with a GR Bass combo, but I also have a Tecamp Puma 900 and three different cabs (BC Micro Jam 6", BC 112 mk3, and my own Plenty 10") so that makes three different combinations.

Oooh I said 4 but I've just remembered another one (or two).

3 cabs, 3 heads, two combos.

And a guitar combo.

Pretty weird really, when the majority of my gigs have rigs supplied????

2 heads, 3 cabs but all sorts of pairings makes quite a few possible rigs. Selling one of the cabs though (Barefaced 210) as it doesn't really get used because i prefer the others

14 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

If mixing and matching I am so far into the cetera zone it isn't funny.

Exactly this ^.

You probably need to define 'rig' for these purposes, @Clarky.  :D

More sensibly - and entirely to my astonishment - of all the truly lovely amplification kit I own my go-to for almost every gig is the Trace Elf.

Virtually all of my gigs have full PA support so I have no need (or use) for silly-loud on-stage volumes, which makes the Elf the obvious choice regardless of the venue, the genre of music, or the overall volume level. It handles a 5-string Rickenbacker and an aluminium double bass equally well, so there's no point in anyone trying to dismiss it as some sort of one-trick pony. 

• Like 4

That’s good to know @Happy Jack, as I’m getting over a bad bout of the curvid I’m going to travel light to my next gig and use my Warwick Gnome. Likewise there’s full house PA & monitors so it will be for stage volume only.

• Like 1