Number of amp + cab or combo  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Number of rigs

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Cetera

Interesting poll results. No consensus whatsoever but, if you add in permutations of amps and cabs mentioned by various BCers, probably cetera (noun: multiplicity of bass equipment) wins

I'm certainly in cetera area - all sort of modular.  Two amps (GSS Sumo, extremely light and Agi DB750, extremely heavy), Berg 210, Agi 112 and loads of preamps including Hellborg, Alembic SF2, Monique, Trace, Millennia etc.  All pretty ridiculous (but fun) as I started with DI into the PA about 35 years ago and have tried to stick with that wherever possible since.  One box/case solution.

I have no simple answer to this. I most often take out a Barefaced Twin with either my Demeter head or my EBS, and a MarkBass Nano as a spare. I also have a tiny MarkBass combo for tiny drumless gigs, and a pedal board just for going direct to PA (no backline). Then in my studio I have a Barefaced One 10 driven by an Ampeg B15 clone. Or I go through a Two Notes Torpedo CAB into my monitors.

So yeah, Cetera.

I've clicked "cetera" although I'm attempting to be sane.

I currently have only one cab, a Barefaced 3x10.

But the heads are another matter - Fender Bassman 50, Bergantino Forte D, Ashdown RM800 EVOII, Tecamp Puma 900, TE Elf, and incoming a GK 400RB.

I will sell one or two of the heads, i will, I will, at some point.

Rob

• Like 1

Just the one, a Carvin BX500 head (was lucky to get one that doesn't suffer with their known reliability issues, and a pair of wonderful Purple Chili 112 cabs made by @Cosmicrain of Zoot Bass fame. May get another head when I get gigging again but can't see anything replacing these cabs.

• Like 1

Big rig - GK 800RB into BF Compact ( or occasionally my Loud 4x10 )

Not so big - Fender Rumble 500 combo

Even smaller rig - Fender Rumble 100 combo.

Just started playing with a blues band and wondering whether it’s a good excuse to

change things around a bit though. 😊

• Like 2

Rig 1 is a Peavey Minimax 600 into two TE 1x12 cabs. 2nd 'rig' is a Zoom B6 into the FOH desk (I count this as a rig as it's the set up I always use for the Hulla band). Back-up amp is a TCE BAM200 but this would usually go through the TE cabs. 

• Like 1

My main rig for the last few years has been an RCF 715 with various pre amps going into it but recently I bought a s/h Rumble 500. I had one a few years back and sold it but I used it on our last gig and it sounded great, filled the room easily without going through the pa so I will use this as my go to for a while.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 18:26, ossyrocks said:

But the heads are another matter - Fender Bassman 50, Bergantino Forte D, Ashdown RM800 EVOII, Tecamp Puma 900, TE Elf, and incoming a GK 400RB.

Rob

Those old RB400s really are great amps. 

I have one older combo and seven amps. Things are divided between the in-laws and home as we look after my mother-in-law and I have a practice nook there
GK MB150 combo … should sell simply not getting much use , doesn’t owe me a thing.

the heads 

Hotone Thunderbass (mostly used as a headphone amp … replaced by a PhilJones BigHead) should sell 

GK MB200 used to be a primary practice amp , should sell , great little head

Aguilar TH 350 home practice amp … lotsa use

SWR HeadLite should sell 

Darkglass e500 practice rig at the in-laws , I play through that more than anything else I love that thing , digital modelling and all

Bergantino Forte … main amp going out the door … gigs and rehearsals , beautiful thing , older version with the variable compressor 

GenzBenz Streamliner 900 overhauled by AndyField , it’s like a brand new amp . Backup. Beautiful thing.

I usually take a tube preamp out to gigs and rehearsals , Monique , by Jule . A gorgeous boutique pre. 

I have my cabs pared down to just what I need.

An Aguilar SL112 to pair with the TH350 for home practice , this doesn’t move.

A Phil Jones C2 to pair with the E500 at the in-laws practice nook  , this doesn’t move and really is a sweet practice rig

A BareFaced One 10 , this gets paired with the Forte and Monique for rehearsals.

And for gigs , a Bergantino HDN112 &210. For most gigs I just need a single cab , together they would cover anything I might have to do. The Bergs are run with the Forte and Monique. The Forte is a wonderful clean , transparent , hifi amp. Monique gives it the classic tube warmth , but with a 700 watt slam. None of the gear is heavy. I drive it downtown and set it up. And then tear it down and drive it home. I’m mostly playing mid sized rooms , and often not in the PA so my stage sound is the room sound. I keep the stuff I move around completely separate from the practice rigs.

If I sell some amps I’ll probably just buy something different to try out. I’ve almost picked up Darkglass MicroTube heads and am curious about Eich , Trickfish , and Jad Freer among others. There’s just the standard generic stuff in the regional stores. I’m a little nerdy about amps.

IMG_9007.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 2

On 01/08/2024 at 22:37, gjones said:

Oooh I said 4 but I've just remembered another one (or two).

3 cabs, 3 heads, two combos.

And a guitar combo.

Pretty weird really, when the majority of my gigs have rigs supplied????

Are we including guitar stuff?

1:  4u rack with Mesa Triaxis, Rocktron 300A comp, Lexicon MPXG2, Marshall 2020 power amp through two Joyo 1x12's loaded with Celestion neo creambacks.
2: Fender Princeton Reverb II 1x12 combo loaded with Jensen N12K neo
3: Kemper Stage Profiler (with Line 6 wireless and Sure GLX IEMs) + Line 6 M5

4: Studio rack with Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Studio, Carvin Quad X and BUrman GX3 preamps into various rack effects by Lexicon, Behringer and Rocktron.

5: Hand built Fender Princeton Tweed replicas (1x8") x2

• Like 1

I love my C2 for home use , it’s wonderful when you’re sitting right in front of it , but it doesn’t fill a room. I had to import mine from the US so it got expensive , however no regrets I use it every day. I play through that more than anything else. 

• Like 1

Technically, one. 

Markbass amp,usually with a MB 2x10. Also have a MB 2x12 cab….but my 10s are 4ohm,so I obviously can’t use them together. 

1.5 rigs, then, really…..unless I buy another amp. Which I don’t plan to! 😇

On 01/08/2024 at 22:26, ossyrocks said:

But the heads are another matter - Fender Bassman 50, Bergantino Forte D, Ashdown RM800 EVOII, Tecamp Puma 900, TE Elf, and incoming a GK 4.00RB

Rob

Good move on the GK, Rob. I love mine - drive up high and master same. Control the volume with the input gain. You probably know this already. Is yours the one from Edinburgh?  Is Techamp the same as Eich? I got an Eich combo but couldn't get what I wanted out of it.

Got 3 amps at the minute - a Demeter VTBP - 201 pre with a QSC PLX 1202 power amp (Christ, how nerdy does that sound?) which is about as good as it gets imho, a Purple Chili Phat Bass 750 - weighs nowt and looks and sounds great and a lovely old GK 400RBii. The latter is an absolute classic and about as robust and reliable an amp as I've ever come across. Looks classy as hell, too.

Cab wise, a Barefaced 610 - amazing - which is the one that goes out most, a Purple Chili 212 - light as and sounds great - which lives in a rehearsal room for now with its head and a shortly-to-be-refurbed-and-sold-on Aguilar GS412 which, though a fab cab, is just too heavy for me to be dealing with these days.

I'm on the lookout for a BF 210 for small gigs ( and to use with the 610 on occasion) and possibly a little digital head, though in truth the GK is small and light enough to serve anywhere. I like the idea of gear that weighs nothing but haven't found a tiny digital amp that delivers for me. I've used Mark Bass, Eich, Orange and TC and none of 'em seemed to have much in the way of depth and character. I've heard others using all that stuff and sounding just fine, though, so it's probably me...

• Like 3

On 01/08/2024 at 22:54, casapete said:

Big rig - GK 800RB into BF Compact ( or occasionally my Loud 4x10 )

Not so big - Fender Rumble 500 combo

Even smaller rig - Fender Rumble 100 combo.

Just started playing with a blues band and wondering whether it’s a good excuse to

change things around a bit though. 😊

I'd LOVE an 800RB and the Rumbles are great combos, the V3's anyhow...

As for changing things around, I've got an Aguilar 412 coming up for sale that'll give you the f*^%ing Blues alright...😉

Shug

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, shug said:

Good move on the GK, Rob. I love mine - drive up high and master same. Control the volume with the input gain. You probably know this already. Is yours the one from Edinburgh?  Is Techamp the same as Eich? I got an Eich combo but couldn't get what I wanted out of it.

You're the reason I'm getting the GK amp! Yours sounded tremendous at the festival. Yes, it's the one from Edinburgh, should be here this week. 

Yes, the Tecamp is the same as Eich, at least the Tecamp Puma 900 is the same as the Eich T900. We A/B'd them at the bass bash, and there was no difference.

The Tecamp is a very workman-like amp, it gets the job done, but you're right, it doesn't have much character. It does punch hard and has a lot of heft though. The Taste control is very useful. I'll be selling mine however, as it won't get a look in over the others now.

How are you doing with the covid? I'm nearly three weeks in now and still suffering!

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks

I put 3 - but as others, I can arrange / split / combine in various combinations.

• Mesa WD800 Head
  • Mesa 210 Subway Cabs (x 2)
  • GR 110 Carbon Cabs (x 2)
  • GK Legacy 115 Combo
  • Laney R500H head - mainly home use as no fan.

I reckon that I've got three rigs these days:

1) Mesa mpulse amp (in a 4u rack with a power conditioner) into a Berg HS410 cab with ceramic speakers - great sounding rig, as good as it gets for me

2) Handbox R400 into a Berg CN212 (neo speakers) - a great sounding rig that goes out for pretty much every gig these days and is just a little bit easier to get back in the house at the end of the nigh, as well as taking up a little less room when packing in the car (that means me and the singer can travel in the same car to gigs as we can fit his IEM / radio mic rack with my rig in the back and still have room for two passengers if the WAGs want to come)

3) I've got a Markbass LM3 as a spare amp that I use for rehearsals thru a cheap Ashdown 210 cab that I picked up for £50 (the cab stays in a rehearsal room) 

I've also got a PJB Double Four that lives on my desk that I use as a practice amp, but I haven't counted that as a proper rig! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

Mark Bass and Ashdown heads and a pair of BF cabs One10 and One10T.

And an old Roland Bass Cube 30 that's I've had for 15-20 years. Not really a rig that, but still a brilliant practice / small jam amp.

With 2 heads and 2 cabs - is that 2 rigs or is it 6 as I can do each head with the tweeter cab, or the non-tweeter or both?

• Like 1