72 members have voted

1. 1. Number of rigs

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Cetera

Having sold all my Bergantino CN Cabs I am now down to a single rig comprising:

2 x Barefaced One10 and a Genzler Magellan 350. (I'd love to add a 3rd One10)

Back-up is a Warwick Gnome.

Also lurking in a flightcase is an Ashdown Retroglide 800 which is now surplus to my requirements.

• Like 1

HEADS

Mesa Subway D 800

Fender Rumble HD 800

Fender Rumble 500

CABS

Barefaced Super Compact 

Basschat 1x12 v3

Fender Rumble 1x12 v3

SWR Goliath Jr v1 2x10

COMBOS 

Acoustic 136 100w  1x15 circa 1971

Fender Rumble 800

Homebrew 1x10  Celestion 300X neo BC cab with Peavey Minimax 500 

Homebrew 1x6  Faital 1x6 200w neo BC cab with TC BAM 200

@cetera  'R' us  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I currently have the following choices available:

Heads:

2 x Gallien-Krueger 400RBs

2 x Gallien-Krueger 800RBs

1 x Gallien-Kreuger 700RB-II

1 x Gallien-Krueger Legacy800

1 x Tech21 VTBass500

Cabs:

1 x GenzBenz Nx212T (2x12)

1 x Hartke Neo112 (1x12)

Combo:

Fender Rumble 25

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cetera said:

I currently have the following choices available:

Heads:

2 x Gallien-Krueger 400RBs

2 x Gallien-Krueger 800RBs

1 x Gallien-Kreuger 700RB-II

1 x Gallien-Krueger Legacy800

1 x Tech21 VTBass500

Cabs:

1 x GenzBenz Nx212T (2x12)

1 x Hartke Neo112 (1x12)

Combo:

Fender Rumble 25

Blimey! You've got all the GK's!

I tried a Legacy 800 at the bass bash and was quite impressed with. How does it compare when A/B'd against a 400RB?

Rob

• Like 1

For its size and weight it is very powerful and authoritative sounding with shedloads of punch and grind on tap should they be required. Nothing quite sounds like the 400RB/800RB though... they just have a certain something that's hard to quantify....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve recently sold a SWR HeadLite , picked up an Elf , and today my Microtubes 200 arrived. 
Time for a new group shot.

edit .. just realized I missed the Aguilar ToneHammer 350 , I’ll try it again tomorrow.

Edit … with the TH350

IMG_0044.jpeg

Edited by msb
  • Like 4

It's all gone a bit silly... In size order:

SWR Working Pro 10. Great little wedge combo, doubles up as an onstage monitor. Top quality amp, only 100 watt output though. Decent for gigs giving a quality signal to FOH and surprisingly audible over a loud drummer.

Fender Bassman TV 12. A recent purchase, valve combo in yellow tweed. Really nice traditional sounding amp. Has enough about it to be my onstage amp for festivals with decent monitoring. 150w output. Sounds delicious with the gain maxed. Bought after the Marshall head this summer just kind of "because". It has had a few gigs this summer though!

Marshall DBS 7200 head. Blendable solid state and/ or valve pre amp. Phenomenal sound. 200w output but peaks at 2000w. Bought as a "spare" but has already seen a few gigs running my Ashdown cabs. Bought this summer because I really wanted one in the 90s but couldn't afford it.

Ashdown ABM600 Evo IV head and 2x Ashdown ABM Neo 15" cabs. The dogs danglers. Highly versatile amp with more power than you could ever need. Really, I don't need any of the others. I like having a practice amp and some different stuff to pique my interest every now and then though. This sees the majority of my gigs.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, msb said:

… and lose out in all that fun?

No having amps and cabs means that we can get the whole band, all our gear plus our roadie/merch seller in an estate car. After load in, we can be set up on stage, line checked and be ready to play in about 10 minutes. We're not clogging up the limited stage area with redundant backline and we're easy to sound check/line check because everything goes direct to the PA with no sound sources on stage messing up the FoH sound.

Because of this we get lots of gigs, especially supports with much better known bands because we're quick with the set up and fit into tiny spaces on stage that you're typical band with backline couldn't do without the headliners having to shift half their gear. It's win all round for everyone.

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Although I love having an amp & cab behind me I’m still mulling over gigging with a preamp/DI pedal straight to FOH. Only thing is we don’t do many gigs with soundchecks - @BigRedX do you encounter any issues with just having line checks at all?

No as yet. Maybe we've been lucky and had good PA engineers. The one for our last gig had checked out what we sound like from our Spotify page and a few live videos on YouTube so he knew what to expect and how we wanted to sound.

If there's only time to set up and do a quick line check, then generally the on-stage mix is one we can live with by the end of the first song. From my experience not having backline affecting the FoH sound makes getting a decent mix on stage and FoH much easier and quicker.

• Thanks 1

We all have different requirements , and solutions.
When I pick up a bass at home , I turn an amp on … every time.

I firmly believe it’s the only way to develop your touch.

I spend much more time practicing than I do performing , but still gig every weekend. I keep my gigging gear completely separate from practice gear. I bring just what I’ll need , I’ve got lightweight modern cabs and amps. Easy to load and pack in my car.
I just drive myself downtown to the gig. I will meet everyone there. Despite being somewhat of a geezer I can manage to unload and set up my stuff. I’m not crazy about travel so I just mostly play downtown. Once or twice a year I may do some out of town gigs but that’s about it.

Most of the mid sized rooms I play have a small house PA , and the PA in the dive I love the most is pretty awful. We generally just run vocals through it , maybe a horn mic. So our stage sound is what fills the room. There is no sound guy. It’s up to the band to do the room mix , and with experienced players the room can sound gorgeous. 
If you get too loud the room can sound wretched.

Some complain about the room.

(It’s them)

• Like 1

Yeah horses for courses as they say. All of my gigs have FOH so it would make things much easier for my very dodgy back to gig with just a preamp pedal to FOH. I`ve done it before at gigs when the provided amp has taken a turn for the worse and it went well, I`m fine with it though do still prefer the sound of an amp behind me rather than in my monitors.

• Like 1